• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hideo Kojima Reveals Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain Game

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I guess Kojima will never do anything new. Keep screwing up this ounce great series. You killed it with 4, so I guess you might as well keep craping on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I guess we have a little more to what was revealed. You knew it had to happen eventually. I never would have thought I'd see the series go as far as it has. Well at least some fans are excited.

I can see the improvements in the graphics. Now who are the Diamond Dogs? At first, I thought he said Demon Dogs.
skafreak51

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
I guess Kojima will never do anything new. Keep screwing up this ounce great series. You killed it with 4, so I guess you might as well keep craping on it.

Killed it with 4? Yeah... 4 was only one of the most well received games of this generation, if not all time.

Oh yeah, not to mention it's commonly known as the best MGS game to its fans.

So really, no idea what you're talking about.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:39 pm Reply with quote
The Diamond Dogs. A new group Big Boss found in the ever wide time before MGS3 and MG1. That will further add even more uneeded detail that explains how Big Boss came into thinking that maybe I should make Foxhound because we needed to know this awesome detail because we couldn't just assume he made Foxhound and we need to know exactly when and how he figured out the name. It's the missing link! The origin of something you did'nt care about until now!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:07 pm Reply with quote
What happened to ZOE3, Kojima?
Calibrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Ok. So.... Hm.

Holy crap.

Rahxephon91 wrote:

Funniest thing I ever heard coming from a Kingdom Hearts fangirl.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:24 pm Reply with quote
skafreak51 wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:

Killed it with 4? Yeah... 4 was only one of the most well received games of this generation, if not all time.

Oh yeah, not to mention it's commonly known as the best MGS game to its fans.

So really, no idea what you're talking about.
4 was a terrible MGS that basically attempts to crap on the series' characters and plot. I'm aware fans like it, but those people are [insult removed] as far as I'm concerned and the reason MGS continues to suck. Three is by far the best one. And since 4 the series has been stagnant and crap, only being able to further add useless details and expansion on plots that were unnecessary, further making the series convoluted for no reason. Sure that started with PO, but 4 took it to new heights.

Quote:
Funniest thing I ever heard coming from a Kingdom Hearts fangirl.
Whats funny? The fact that 4 was terrible and that MGS needs some new blood? Or that Kojima can never do anything outside of MGS. Thats not funny, it's sad. I would very like a non MGS game from Kojima.

Also, I don't like KH at all and I'm not a girl.
Calibrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
4 was a terrible MGS that basically attempts to crap on the series' characters and plot. I'm aware fans like it, but those people are idiots as far as I'm concerned and the reason MGS continues to suck.

Well, that's nice. "If they like something I dislike, then they must be idiots."

[insult removed], are you?

Rahxephon91 wrote:
Also, I don't like KH at all and I'm not a girl.

Fanboy then. Also,

Sure. Because Kingdom Hearts fanboys never sport avatars of the single most shallow female character from the single shittiest entry in the series, amirite?
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Well, that's nice. "If they like something I dislike, then they must be idiots."
if they like MGS4 then yes they kind of have to. Since I've never read an actual defense as to why MGS4 is a good game and I doubt I ever will.
Quote:

[insult removed], are you?
Nope, I don't like MGS4. it's a soul crushing game, I can't help but have a low opinion of it's fans.

Quote:

Fanboy then.
Fanboy of what? MGS. I was a huge one until MGS4 disappointed me to no end

Quote:
Sure. Because Kingdom Hearts fanboys never sport avatars
I'm not sure why I have to be a fanboy. I could just have a normal liking of KH. No if anything I'm a MGS fanboy. Besides, the avatar is from 2003 and has never been changed. I don't really care for KH and only played the 2nd game.

Quote:
of the single most shallow female character from the single shittiest entry in the series, amirite?
I guess BBS is better, but I don't have a PSP and never played the 1st one. Combat seemed better in BBS, but the story from what little I played was pretty meh. Whatever her name is since she's a KH character she's probably shallow, since well they all are. It's a pretty stupid series. I mostly keep the avatar to see how people will attack me because of it and because I don't have any other avatars to change to.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
[Post removed due to excessive insults and trolling and failing to contribute to the discussion.]
Hey I just hate MGS4 fans, because it's a terrible game and they tell me I'm wrong every time I voice my opinion about it, without backing up why MGS4 is a good game.

Quote:
[Post removed due to excessive insults and trolling and failing to contribute to the discussion.]
I doubt it.

Quote:
I don't really care that much, but since I'm not an [insult removed] who likes MGS4 I can actually say why I dislike it.

It's extremely weak compared to either 2 or 3. Where 2 pretty much perfects the puzzle gameplay of Metal Gear and 3 introduces new mechanics and new dynamics with stealth in the jungle. What does MGS4 do? It half bakes everything. Nice shooting gameplay, yes finally, but that doesn't change the fact that it doesn't do anything else with what it supposedly brought to the table. Stealth on the battlefield? Remember that? Remember when that was going to MGS4's "jungle". MGS4 sure dosen't. The entire help either the PMC or the rebels is half assed, because basically by default you will help the rebels anyway. Making this entire thing pretty much pointless. And even in the first level there's nothing quite done with the stealth on the battlefield thing beyond maybe following a tank. Levels don't radicly change as to force the player to constantly shift what they are doing. Other then look and sound great, it wasn't anything new for the series. Hell, pretty much midway through act 2 it throws out what could have been awesome new ideas anyway, almost admitting they couldn't do it. Nope, in act 3 we got a terrible and tedious follow dumb AI mission(that you can't skip in playthroughs making it worse), goes into MGS3 redux(but worse as you can't even die so no tenson), and then has possibly the most boring boss battle in the game(oh boy the building is falling apart, I guess I'll just keep shooting). Did Kojima lose all his talent? It would appear so with the nostalgia wank, but shitty act 4 and then the act 5 that is only 1 stealth area, boss battle, and then run forward. Man what great gameplay?

And even then, the game doesn't even look that great outside of character models. Oh but I'm so happy that Kojima's cutscene direction is so good. Too bad it's quite possibly the worsestory ever.

From character assassination to ass pulls the game has it all.

Remember Solid Snake? The guy who came out of MGS1 full of motivation and life thanks to grey fox? Who then was super wise and passed on wisdom to Raiden. Oh now he's sad in MGS4? Wait what? Idiots will point out "oh but he's dying" Excuse me? This is Solid Snake. a man who goes on missions against giant robots. He can die anytime, but it doesn't matter, he has a mission to make sure the future we pass unto are future generations is a good one. Apparently Kojima forget that and in 4 we have the most contrived and shitty character writing ever for Snake, but it gets worse. We have an actual Emo Raiden. Raiden was not emo in 2. No he was confused and somewhat prissy, but thats it. And in the end he comes into his own, except apparently not. No for Kojima in order to make him "cool" had to have some of the most hackyed character writing. "JACK IS DEAD". Excuse me? Why are you devolving a character like this? The answer is because the storytelling is bad. Even the reasons he turns into this sound dumb. "wah wah Rose". Exuse me the entire point of the 2nd of 2 was you were going to make amends with her, but now 4 wants to backtrack on this? How is this good writing? How is this good character development?

Then you've got weird Namoi humping Vamp and that really awkward Otcon stuff that was just embarrassing beyond belief. The Eva and Snake romance in three was campy, but it fit the tone of that game. Namoi and Otocon in 4 is just really awkward and painful to watch.

And then Vamp and his dumb nanomachines. This is part of Kojima feeling the need to explain everything and this is why it sucks. Not everything needs to be explained. MGS is a world were people have powers. I've already bought into it, why the fudge do you need to explain Vamp and thanks to the explanation it opens even more plotholes. If Nanomachines can keep him alive, why not everybody? Why not Snake? They are the plot magic.

And of course there's Ocelot. Kojima obviously saw the feedback he got from The Boss and thought he should do another self superficial character, because people like that and his admiration for Big Boss was lied in 3. But jesus was this dumb. I already bought into Liquid controlling Ocelot. Ocelot is the son of the Sorrow and this series is crazy with genes anyway. But no we get and even dumber explanation oh and then the game decides to shit on the awesome support team from MGS3 for no reason.

I truly hate MGS4 and I'm sure there are many other things I hold against it. The series has yet to recover with PW being terrible no matter how you slice it.

I really liked MGS and was a real passionate fan. It's my favorite franchisee, but the main story is OVER. Stop with the lame Big Boss stories that don't add anything and just further screw up the storyline? Whats the point of them? Take a break? Maybe a reboot? Maybe let Kojima, a man I'm sure has tons of ideas make something that's not MGS. Thats the biggest problem here. HE CAN"T MAKE ANYTHING NOT MGS.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
dan9999

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Common Calibrator, dont take it to a series (kingdom Hearts) that's not the issue here to vent your anger, if does not speak good of you.

Argue about MGS but dont try to childishly get back badmouthing the series the other person seem to like which is not even the topic of discussion to begin with, it only make it seem like you simply lack arguments.

@ Rahxephon91 - Don't dwell to deep and defend you liking KH, dont you see it was merely to get back at you and cause you the same anger you cased him/her, same with the fanboy/fangirl statement.

Last edited by dan9999 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Calibrator wrote:
Yep, just like I said. You can't actually defend MGS4. Looks like I was right? I'm a tard? Pretty funny considering I'm actually able to explain my dislike, while all you can do is insult and go "lol KH". Too bad.
dan9999

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Calibrator wrote:
Yep, just like I said. You can't actually defend MGS4. Looks like I was right? I'm a tard? Pretty funny considering I'm actually able to explain my dislike, while all you can do is insult and go "lol KH". Too bad.

Seeing Calibrator earlier remarks towards Persona 3, calling it crap and not even stating the least of arguments, either he/she has pretty screwed up taste or simply likes to troll.
Hellrasinbrasin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:50 pm Reply with quote
[b]The Metal Gear Solid Episode Timeline[/b]

[01] Metal Gear Solid III Snake Eater................1964
[02] Metal Gear Solid V Prologue
- Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker.....................1974
- Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes..................1974
[03] Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain.....1983
[04] Metal Gear Solid.....................................2005
[05] Metal Gear Solid II Sons of Liberty..............2007/2009
[06] Metal Gear Solid IV Guns of the Patriots........2014

Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes
...Set 10 days, after the events of Peace Walker; Ground Zeroes is the event that lands Big Boss in a coma for 9 years.

Metal Gear Solid 5 The Phantom Pain
...Set 9 years after the events of Ground Zeroes.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:28 pm Reply with quote
The new MGS game looks great. I'm still bummed they didn't add Twin Snakes to the HD collection. In a perfect world, all solid games would be completely remade with the new engine for the PS4, along with the 5th.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4