• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei Aims for 3 Billion Yen for 2013 Dragon Ball Z Film

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan9999

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Highly anticipating it, but still disappointed that I dont see any footage of Goku going SSJ3. He looks so badass in that tranformation.

Anyway, highly pleased with Toe and revival of classic series, keep them coming Toei, anime needs it to "re-take the correct path"....
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:40 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
Anyway, highly pleased with Toe and revival of classic series, keep them coming Toei, anime needs it to "re-take the correct path"....

With dumb loud shounen fighting shows that have always existed and will continue to exist perpetually? This movie is status quo.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Once FUNimation picks this up, I'll be having a massive snackfest of McDonald's with this movie.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I haven't really followed the news about the movie, is Toriyama involved in the production ?

If not, I can't see it reaching 3 billion yen.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Kutsu wrote:
I haven't really followed the news about the movie, is Toriyama involved in the production ?

It says right there in the article he's heavily involved in it.

To me though I'm kind of surprised their expectations aren't higher given this is DBZ we're talking about. I'd think they could possibly break $100 mil with it in Japan alone, but I may be giving the franchise too much credit. Either way I hope it works out for them and hopefully Funi picks it up quick since I am curious about it.
Webbmaster62

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Kutsu wrote:

The movie is canon and will become officially part of the manga series. It's taking place between the peace era after Goku defeated majin buu.
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Toriyama is very involved in the film. He wrote the first draft and developed most of the new elements added to the universe. The jokes are also very Toriyama-esque. What's more, since he only had to come up with the story he seemed to really enjoy the process. Should this film pull in thirty-ish million USD and Toei want to make a sequel I think Toriyama would be happy to be involved again.

Divineking wrote:
Kutsu wrote:

To me though I'm kind of surprised their expectations aren't higher given this is DBZ we're talking about. I'd think they could possibly break $100 mil with it in Japan alone, but I may be giving the franchise too much credit. Either way I hope it works out for them and hopefully Funi picks it up quick since I am curious about it.

One hundred million dollars in Japan alone? One Piece (which is by far more popular) has only made thirty million for it's latest film. I highly doubt Japan alone will bring the film to one hundred million, especially considering the small budget the film has.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:07 pm Reply with quote
JacobYBM wrote:

One hundred million dollars in Japan alone? One Piece (which is by far more popular) has only made thirty million for it's latest film. I highly doubt Japan alone will bring the film to one hundred million, especially considering the small budget the film has.

Ah I guess that really was a big overestimation then. Still given the amount of support this is getting, I don't think it'll have problem reaching that 30 mil projection. I don't think budget would really have that much of an influence on it's success though.
sainta

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I heard this movie gives the middle finger to GT by altering something.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Kutsu wrote:

Oops, my bad.

There is absolutely no chance it will break $100 million (I will rewatch all of Dragon Ball Z in slow motion if that happens). As far as I know, no japanese anime movie outside of ones produced by Ghibli has ever broken that mark though it might happen one day if the yen-dollar exchange rate continues to follow the same trend. Regardless of that, for comparaison purposes, it's always better to talk in yen for japanese domestic gross.

With Toriyama involved, I think 3 billion yen is achievable, though still quite ambitious. It will have to open around 500 million yen and not plummet in its second week-end for that to happen.

(P.S : One Piece Z's gross stands at around 72-73 million dollars, not 30)

Last edited by Kutsu on Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
VegettoEX

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:49 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
I heard this movie gives the middle finger to GT by altering something.

Not really.

They're generally not particularly concerned with making anything work or not work with anything else. They just make new stories to take your money. Smile

That being said, this is really the only time they've ever said ANYTHING about trying to make anything ever fit with anything else. And THAT being said, for as much as they spoke about Battle of Gods being part of the "official history" (their exact words; note how "canon" is not used ^_~), there's a bunch of math with the years in the movie that makes it pretty much impossible to fit perfectly (the main thing being a question one character asks about Planet Vegeta's destruction, as well as a couple ages people spout out about themselves). Were it not for those couple little things it'd be totally fine, but them's the breaks.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:42 pm Reply with quote
What a conservative estimate for such a popular franchise. I predict it'll make that many times over. I mean, I'm no economist, but going by how popular the franchise is, it'll certainly make more than that.

Also, 3 Billion? That sounds like it's definitely spoiler[over 9000].
whitefangrazorblade

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if the projected 3 billion yen or around 30 million dollars is the whole movie run total or the first week.

But i'm guessing it's the whole run. In comparison to the latest One Piece Films, Strong world earn 49M while One Piece Z earned an estimate of 72 M.

It might actually earn more than Strong World.
vivacmpunker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:50 pm Reply with quote
JacobYBM wrote:

Actually One Piece Film Z made about $73 million before it fell from the box office chart. I actually see this DBZ movie making the same amount as One Piece Strong World did in 2009 which was about $50 million, but I actually don't think that it will be as successful as One Piece Film Z.
LaSean

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:32 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
Highly anticipating it, but still disappointed that I don't see any footage of Goku going SSJ3. He looks so badass in that tranformation.

You must not been following this movie then cause they just showed some footage of him in SSJ3 last week. -_-
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2