• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - A Certain Something

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wakazhi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I like Denpa Onna, but probably the main deal-breaker for me was the box art. I'm used to fanservice or whatever, but I just don't like anything ecchi-esque on my shelf, especially something very noticeable (i.e. NISA's LE releases) . If a standard edition blu-ray comes out, I'll definitely consider that.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:48 pm Reply with quote
wow this weeks collector's shelf is pretty damn good. I've nearly seen/watched every single one of the series and only own 1/6 of them. Andrew I'm pretty damned impressed...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't have given Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl a Shelf Worthy rating, although it gets close. I thought the first three episodes were strong, but then the story sort of doesn't know where to go from there so it just has some cute escapades for the rest of the series.

Bamboo wrote:
Meaning, if someone shoots a lightning bolt at him, all he has to do is swat it away with his right hand, and he'll be okay.

Because we all know that lightning is caused by magic instead of electrostatic discharge, and that lightning moves slowly enough that one can put their hand in the way before it hits.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:04 pm Reply with quote
*Sigh* The time has finally come, Index is on the shelf life colomn, the inevidable Index vs railgun arguments will begin and I go on about how I find this to be a guilty pleasure I don't feel guilty what- ok screw it, you get te point. I think the guy who reviewed the streams and this view sofar depicted my view of the series when I took a step back and really looked at it, flawed but fun. I've grown to like te light novels alot more but that's a whole different discussion. I'm just glad the review wasn't as bad as I usally fear it would be.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm getting te hell out of here before this gets irritating *sca-zoom!*
Dop.L

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm still highly saddened that there was never a fifth season or OVAs of Maria Watches Over Us covering Sachiko-sama's graduation.

I've nothing but admiration for RightStuf/Nozomi for licensing it, and I own all four box sets.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:34 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I wouldn't have given Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl a Shelf Worthy rating, although it gets close. I thought the first three episodes were strong, but then the story sort of doesn't know where to go from there so it just has some cute escapades for the rest of the series.

That can easily happen with series based on light novels. The author had a clear idea for one novel, but just wrote a bunch of sequels more flimsily because the first one was popular.

I can't quite say why, but this series did nothing for me and I didn't even really care about anything during the climax in episode 3.

I can complain that the main character's aunt, who turns 40 in episode 4 or 5, has the same baby face as the rest of the female characters, including her own daughter. When she acts obnoxious and childish I think the fact that she's old enough to be the lead's mother is a deliberate part of his discomfort and disgust, but the art totally fails to carry this aspect of those scenes.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:59 pm Reply with quote
not to worry about NIS stuff fitting on shelves... eventually you have enough, that you have to give them their OWN shelf... I may have to pick that one up. I like quirky slice of life.

Oh, and? You gotta get the RIGHT bike seat, and make sure your bike is well adjusted... but yeah, you also have to ride enough to toughen up the buns. Just like if you hike, the first couple of times, you can see a blister. Keep on pedaling. Or not.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
*Sigh* The time has finally come, Index is on the shelf life colomn, the inevidable Index vs railgun arguments will begin and I go on about how I find this to be a guilty pleasure I don't feel guilty what- ok screw it, you get te point. I think the guy who reviewed the streams and this view sofar depicted my view of the series when I took a step back and really looked at it, flawed but fun. I've grown to like te light novels alot more but that's a whole different discussion. I'm just glad the review wasn't as bad as I usally fear it would be.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm getting te hell out of here before this gets irritating *sca-zoom!*

I think she did a good job of covering Index's fundamental flaws. And she's not even at season 2 yet!
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:11 pm Reply with quote
@Fronzel:

The aunt being childish is just an act of hers. We do see that she's quite a perceptive and insightful person who can be mature when she wants to be.

Anyway, this is Anime, where females are pegged into one of only a handful of age groups no matter what their canonical age actually is:

baby
5 years old ("little girl")
12yo ("loli" or "little sister")
15yo ("every Shoujo lead ever", "96% of females in Anime period")
29yo ("cool & sexy chick" or "big sister")
60yo ("old lady")
75yo ("grandmother")
90yo ("hag")
110yo ("crone")
150yo ("crone skeletal form")

There are no real middle-aged women in Anime. They're either this gorgeous mother who looks in her twenties, or they have some wrinkles and look like they are about to reach retirement age.

Therefore, the aunt looking young is just one of things you have to roll with in Anime. It didn't both me.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Damn, I've been holding off to watch Maria Watches Over Us for awhile now, definitely going to get to that later this year or sometimes in the future. I'm not too sure on Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl either. When I watched it awhile ago, it seemed like a chore and didn't click for me for some reason. The premise was nice and the first half was entertaining for me. Otherwise, I didn't like too much.

Nice collection overall though and ahh, Toaru Majutsu no Index...that brings some memories. With the current Railgun S airing, I hope for a S3 of Index as well given the success of the movie from what I've heard.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl

Am I the only one who thinks of David Bowie singing out this title?
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:07 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
@Fronzel:

The aunt being childish is just an act of hers. We do see that she's quite a perceptive and insightful person who can be mature when she wants to be.

Anyway, this is Anime, where females are pegged into one of only a handful of age groups no matter what their canonical age actually is:

baby
5 years old ("little girl")
12yo ("loli" or "little sister")
15yo ("every Shoujo lead ever", "96% of females in Anime period")
29yo ("cool & sexy chick" or "big sister")
60yo ("old lady")
75yo ("grandmother")
90yo ("hag")
110yo ("crone")
150yo ("crone skeletal form")

There are no real middle-aged women in Anime. They're either this gorgeous mother who looks in her twenties, or they have some wrinkles and look like they are about to reach retirement age.

Therefore, the aunt looking young is just one of things you have to roll with in Anime. It didn't both me.

Um, no? That's totally sexist.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Hm. I think Bamboo summed up pretty well why I never finished watching Index. I was really invested in the Index (the character) storyline that when it switched over to focusing on the other characters, I rapidly lost interest and moved on to something else. Huh.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

I think she did a good job of covering Index's fundamental flaws. And she's not even at season 2 yet!

Don't remind me of Season 2.
How the hell they managed to make that worse I have no idea.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Julia-the-Great wrote:
Hm. I think Bamboo summed up pretty well why I never finished watching Index. I was really invested in the Index (the character) storyline that when it switched over to focusing on the other characters, I rapidly lost interest and moved on to something else. Huh.

Have you ever thought of tackling Railgun? Once you familiarize yourself with Mikoto's character and the Academy City setting, you shouldn't have too much trouble jumping in that spin-off series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6