• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st 2 Madoka Magica Films' English-Subtitled BD Trailer Streamed

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Please, fans, take note that Madoka Magica is pronounced with a hard 'G' (as evidenced by this trailer). I'm sick of hearing it mispronounced at every convention I go to.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:54 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Please, fans, take note that Madoka Magica is pronounced with a hard 'G' (as evidenced by this trailer). I'm sick of hearing it mispronounced at every convention I go to.

How have you heard it pronounced? It seems pretty straight forward to me. Mad-o-kah Magic-a. Words are pronounced differently based on the language you are speaking.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:00 pm Reply with quote
razisgosu wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

How have you heard it pronounced? It seems pretty straight forward to me. Mad-o-kah Magic-a.

I hear it pronounced "Muh-Dough-Kuh Magic-UH" ALL THE TIME rather than "Mah-Dough-Kah Mah-Gee-Kah" and it's really frustrating. Especially when people try to correct me with their wrong pronunciation.

The producer even corrected people on the pronunciation at Otakon. I suppose it just didn't stick. Rolling Eyes
bored-otaku

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's just me, but I never get tired of seeing that little nuzzle (or snuggle, whichever) between Homura and Madoka. So cute Smile
Mirri

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
razisgosu wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

How have you heard it pronounced? It seems pretty straight forward to me. Mad-o-kah Magic-a.

I hear it pronounced "Muh-Dough-Kuh Magic-UH" ALL THE TIME rather than "Mah-Dough-Kah Mah-Gee-Kah" and it's really frustrating. Especially when people try to correct me with their wrong pronunciation.

The producer even corrected people on the pronunciation at Otakon. I suppose it just didn't stick. Rolling Eyes

Always assumed that it was pronounced Madoka Magicka in English and Ma-Gi-Ka in Japanese due to some confusion over spelling vs. pronunciation of the word Magic in English.

It's good to know that's the official way, I say it each way about half of the time because people always kept saying "Magicka! Magicka!" so in front of those people I say it that way to avoid starting arguments.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Mirri wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
razisgosu wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

Always assumed that it was pronounced Madoka Magicka in English and Ma-Gi-Ka in Japanese due to some confusion over spelling vs. pronunciation of the word Magic in English.

It's good to know that's the official way, I say it each way about half of the time because people always kept saying "Magicka! Magicka!" so in front of those people I say it that way to avoid starting arguments.

You're not alone, sister/brother/sentient being. Very Happy Though I just pronounce it the official way every time because I happen to love the way it rhymes. Cool No judgment.
hpulley

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Just look at the Japanese title, all you need to know for how to pronounce it. Japanese is very simple to pronounce, almost always just as it appears and 'gi' is always 'gi' like the name of the karategi "gi" uniform. It is never 'ji'.

魔法少女まどか★マギカ
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:37 pm Reply with quote
hpulley wrote:
Just look at the Japanese title, all you need to know for how to pronounce it. Japanese is very simple to pronounce, almost always just as it appears and 'gi' is always 'gi' like the name of the karategi "gi" uniform. It is never 'ji'.

魔法少女まどか★マギカ

I think they get confused because of the english word 'magic':

hpulley

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Yes indeed, they are confusing "Magica" with the word "magic".

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter. Most people will know what you mean and may cringe and/or correct you if you say it wrong.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote
hpulley wrote:
Yes indeed, they are confusing "Magica" with the word "magic".

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter. Most people will know what you mean and may cringe and/or correct you if you say it wrong.

And if they try to specifically correct my pronunciation, I can easily rebuff them. Very Happy
xeroth

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:04 pm Reply with quote
You're correct on the pronunciation from a Japanese point of view, they do seem to translate the show's title to 'Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica' rather often as well.

However surely to correctly pronounce 'Puella Magi Madoka Magica' you wouldn't pronounce it the Japanese way as it's in Latin? Apart from Madoka's name of course.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:10 pm Reply with quote
xeroth wrote:
You're correct on the pronunciation from a Japanese point of view, they do seem to translate the show's title to 'Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica' rather often as well.

However surely to correctly pronounce 'Puella Magi Madoka Magica' you wouldn't pronounce it the Japanese way as it's in Latin? Apart from Madoka's name of course.

It's a hard 'G' either way.
Ghstmtrx

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:29 pm Reply with quote
So how do I pronounce the anime "Rental Magica"?
hpulley

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Ghstmtrx wrote:
So how do I pronounce the anime "Rental Magica"?

レンタルマギカ

"Rental Magika" also with a hard "gi" and the r's are closer to L's so almost "Lental Magika" just like how Gargantia's レド "Redo" is actually closer to "Ledo" which is the official way to write his name in English.
ianiceboy

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:08 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
xeroth wrote:

It's a hard 'G' either way.

Maybe if it were proper Latin, but it's not. If they're going to give the series a silly name, I'm going to pronounce their translation however I like.

- Mahou Shoujo Madoka Mah-Gi-Ka
- Puella Magi Madoka Ma-Ji-Ka
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3