• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Time of Eve Film Blu-ray Reaches English Dub Goal

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen Time of Eve in any form, so I may just support this kickstarter as well. I wonder if they will add any more stretch goals?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations! I feel happy that the fans were able to reach the original and stretch goals. At the same time I feel bad for Anime Sols. Creamy Mami was supposed to be a sure thing, but it has only reached $3,575 out of its $19,000 goal. Ouch.

I guess it shows that what fans truly want gets quickly done, but apparently undesired things will never get done (funded).
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Time of Eve is wonderful. Crunchyroll has the first episode (around 15 minutes) streaming for free if you want a taste before deciding if you'd like it.
Roxas4ever

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm super pleased that Time of Eve has gotten so much support. It's a lovely little gem that most people haven't seen/heard of.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Roxas4ever wrote:
I'm super pleased that Time of Eve has gotten so much support. It's a lovely little gem that most people haven't seen/heard of.

I beg to differ. There's a lot of anime that are more obscure and hidden, Eve no Jikan is decently popular and well known among the savvy internet anime crowds. That's why the Kickstarter's success comes as little surprise. Now if Oshii's Twilight Q was placed up, even for a name such as his, pledges would be much slower and for much less.

If you mean most people being "not-anime-fans", then they haven't even heard of Evangelion.

angelmcazares wrote:
Congratulations! I feel happy that the fans were able to reach the original and stretch goals. At the same time I feel bad for Anime Sols. Creamy Mami was supposed to be a sure thing, but it has only reached $3,575 out of its $19,000 goal. Ouch.

I guess it shows that what fans truly want gets quickly done, but apparently undesired things will never get done (funded).

It helps that Kickstarter is a known entity, people know what the site is, how it operates, and what expectations for pledging will be. AnimeSols, being another site with different rules, is strange and virtually unknown unless someone specifically directs you there. Whereas on Kickstarter, you can just be digging around and spot something that tickles your fancy, or it be promoted by the Kickstarter staff as a hot pick, or whatever. I think the AnimeSols shows would have seen more funding if there were on Kickstarter as opposed to their own site. If I wasn't a person who checks ANN articles, I'd have never known about AnimeSols; the only other place likely to mention it would be 4chan's mecha board, because that's where those fans are more likely to reside.

Added problem: it's intensely difficult to get someone who doesn't want to watch old anime to do so. Sometimes, it's like pulling teeth just to convince someone to even watch Gunbuster, or LoGH or Honneamise, or Patlabor, etc.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Sat May 25, 2013 11:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
roesnail

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:25 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

I will start pleging to sols later than sooner ( at least mami and tobikage). I will admit that these kickstarters for crater and eve are more of a priority since their time is more limited. Financially I should be fine. but you never know.

I would also like to add that if ANN would also add weekly results to sols it actually might help. Not everybody checks this site day bye day

Last edited by roesnail on Sat May 25, 2013 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:39 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
I wonder if they will add any more stretch goals?

At the rate things are going, I'm sure they will. They'll just have to come up with something that makes sense. Lots of folks are wishing for some of the director's previous short works to be included, but that doesn't seem likely for logistical reasons. A soundtrack CD seems more possible, or some other sort of physical bonus.

Personally, moreso than additional stretch goals, I really hope they do manage to get Chayama to agree to finding time to do a few more drawings so they can open up those higher pledge rewards again. I'm sad I missed them at launch, and while I'm already in for a $100 pledge I'd happily bump it up double to $200 to also get a drawing of either Sammy or Akiko, or at least $150 for a Nagi drawing.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:05 am Reply with quote
never seen time of eve, but I like the idea. if we could start using kickstarter for other anime titles, it would be well worth it
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:21 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Now if Oshii's Twilight Q was placed up...

You said "Oshii"...

In my mind, that translates to "NO", "RUN", and "DEAR GOD GET AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!! D:".
Hellfish

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:02 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

kickstarter proyects have the advantage of being able to receive funding outside the U.S. Sure we have to pay higher shipping prices but we can just pledge a buck and keep on with the updates to decide if we should give more. While anime sols depend on a very small and dwindling part of fandom who may not even know about the site.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:24 am Reply with quote
Hellfish wrote:
kickstarter proyects have the advantage of being able to receive funding outside the U.S. Sure we have to pay higher shipping prices but we can just pledge a buck and keep on with the updates to decide if we should give more. While anime sols depend on a very small and dwindling part of fandom who may not even know about the site.

While they can take pledges from anywhere, Kickstarter is limited to the US and UK for creators. If they're foreign, they need someone local to act as proxies:
http://www.kickstarter.com/help/faq/creator%20questions#WhoIsEligToStarAKickProj
Quote:

—You are a permanent US resident with a Social Security Number (or EIN).
—You have a US address, US bank account, and US state-issued ID (driver’s license).
—You have a major US credit or debit card.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:25 am Reply with quote
You know, I was considering getting the import of Eve no Jinkan/Time of Eve, but both of my anime-aficionado friends thought it was just alright. Granted, they watched it in the ova format rather than the version where it was cut into a film, but I wouldn't think it would make that huge of a difference. I'm a little iffy on whether I should get this now. Regardless, I'm glad it met its goal.
StormSky92

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:51 am Reply with quote
I really wasn't a fan of this, but dang, it's popular. I wonder what's next?
ianiceboy

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:52 am Reply with quote
I'd be interested in seeing stretch goals for dubs in other languages, if that's at all cost effective.
KH91

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:37 am Reply with quote
Wow, in just 2 hours after the 1st posted news.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3