Forum - View topic
The X Button - Zoning Regulations


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
IanC



Joined: 26 Sep 2004
Posts: 674
Location: Essex, England
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Im glad Mamoru-kun is finally get a western release, i imported the Japanese LE and really enjoyed it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Beatdigga



Joined: 26 Oct 2003
Posts: 2943
Location: Here!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:15 pm Reply with quote
They could have just been honest and said Bruno in Japan was John McClane, and they didn't want to get sued by Fox. Ah well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
aoi yuuki fanboy



Joined: 19 Dec 2012
Posts: 51
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:28 pm Reply with quote
'Chris Makise'? Really? It's Makise Kurisu, nicknamed Christina by Okabe.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lord Geo



Joined: 18 Sep 2005
Posts: 1761
Location: North Brunswick, New Jersey
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
They could have just been honest and said Bruno in Japan was John McClane, and they didn't want to get sued by Fox. Ah well.


You got it backwards. In Japan Bruno has always been Bruno; he was John McClane outside of Japan for the first Dynamite Deka (a.k.a. Die Hard Arcade).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Beatdigga



Joined: 26 Oct 2003
Posts: 2943
Location: Here!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
They could have just been honest and said Bruno in Japan was John McClane, and they didn't want to get sued by Fox. Ah well.


You got it backwards. In Japan Bruno has always been Bruno; he was John McClane outside of Japan for the first Dynamite Deka (a.k.a. Die Hard Arcade).


Yeah, but in Japan it's obvious he was supposed to be McClane. Has the wifebeater and Project X Zone's VA for Bruno is the same guy that dubs Bruce Willis' voice into Japanese.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
DavidShallcross



Joined: 19 Feb 2008
Posts: 1008
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:46 pm Reply with quote
aoi yuuki fanboy wrote:
'Chris Makise'? Really? It's Makise Kurisu, nicknamed Christina by Okabe.

5pb, the original publishers, give it as 牧瀬紅莉栖, in kanji.
I can't find evidence that 紅莉栖 is really a Japanese name, however -- Googling it just returns references to that character.

She would probably have gone by "Chris" in the US, though.

Was she supposed to be half-Japanese, half-American? Most of the characters in Steins;Gate have unrealistic eye colors for Japanese.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Altorrin



Joined: 24 Dec 2007
Posts: 304
Location: Florida, United States
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:19 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
aoi yuuki fanboy wrote:
'Chris Makise'? Really? It's Makise Kurisu, nicknamed Christina by Okabe.

5pb, the original publishers, give it as 牧瀬紅莉栖, in kanji.
I can't find evidence that 紅莉栖 is really a Japanese name, however -- Googling it just returns references to that character.

She would probably have gone by "Chris" in the US, though.

Was she supposed to be half-Japanese, half-American? Most of the characters in Steins;Gate have unrealistic eye colors for Japanese.

http://steinsgate.tv/character/chris.html

This isn't the most official source, but yeah. I think it's safe to guess that it's meant to be Chris and that it isn't a traditional Japanese name no matter what kanji you use.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
belvadeer



Joined: 11 Jun 2006
Posts: 4678
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Project X Zone: Let me just say that this is one of the best games we've gotten localized this year. Buy it, play it and prove we love these crossover ideas, people (even if Japan doesn't).

Mamoru-kun Curse!: Todd, I'm just curious, but do you ever stop saying "big-eyed" to generically describe anime character designs or what? It's gotten really stale over the years.

Shin Megami Tensei IV:

Quote:
Good thing the Moral Majority isn't around today.


Don't you mean the Narrow-minded Higher Ups of the 90s? Good thing fools like them don't exist anymore and games can be far less censored than before (though I know it still happens with stuff like Catherine and Mugen Souls). I can't believe how talk of anything having to do with gods, demons or devils got everyone so up in arms back then. It's hilarious and pathetic.

Time and Eternity: I've already seen tremendous disappointment from others with this game. They said it's an idea that "really could have been better than this" as they described the things they found wrong with it. In fact, from everyone I asked, I don't think I've heard one positive thing about this game. I don't know what to make of it personally. Is it really that bad?


Last edited by belvadeer on Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Animerican14



Joined: 19 Aug 2006
Posts: 957
Location: Saint Louis, MO
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Ergh, actually *reading* the entry rules more clearly now (I somehow skipped over that last paragraph in the contest section of last week's column), I messed up so bad on the first Persona 5 entry I sent. That ended up being over two pages single-spaced, definitely over 200 words, and I sent it in a couple days ago. Uh, Todd, can I send in a revised and shortened edition of my essay?

(And I took a few good hours on it too....)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Apollo-kun



Joined: 11 Feb 2010
Posts: 1209
Location: City 7, Macross 7
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:55 pm Reply with quote
If JAST could finish their Starless translation before doing Steins;Gate, that'd be greaaat.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
toddc



Joined: 23 Jul 2007
Posts: 164
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
Ergh, actually *reading* the entry rules more clearly now (I somehow skipped over that last paragraph in the contest section of last week's column), I messed up so bad on the first Persona 5 entry I sent. That ended up being over two pages single-spaced, definitely over 200 words, and I sent it in a couple days ago. Uh, Todd, can I send in a revised and shortened edition of my essay?

(And I took a few good hours on it too....)


Sure, go ahead and send in a revised version.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lynx Amali



Joined: 05 Nov 2010
Posts: 1203
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:58 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Time and Eternity: I've already seen tremendous disappointment from others with this game. They said it's an idea that "really could have been better than this" as they described the things they found wrong with it. In fact, from everyone I asked, I don't think I've heard one positive thing about this game. I don't know what to make of it personally. Is it really that bad?


I wouldn't say it was as bad as people make it into to be. Epoch overhyped the game when it was the first attempt, fans bought, without thinking it was their first attempt, and well....outcome was less than pretty.

The game itself, well, it's rough to be brief. There's a lot of interesting ideas and concepts but it feels like there wasn't enough polish. The story, while unique at the start, starts to become kind of repetitive with pacing issues. The combat's...okay.

I'd say if you go in with low expectations and don't buy into the hype people placed on it, you might have a bit of fun with it. Sadly, because of the sales, I doubt we're ever going to get something similar that actually attempts to fix the flaws.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr Sinister



Joined: 02 Jan 2006
Posts: 157
Location: NY
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:51 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely love Project X Zone. I'm almost done with it and this is the first RPG I think I've ever played where I really don't care who gets the final hit on a boss, they are all worthy to become the OP characters for the next map. Even the characters from games I've never played like God Eater and Resonance of Fate are super badass. Also, it feels like those pre-battle conversations have unique ones for every single different combination you can make, which is like in the hundreds, and they are all really fun.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
belvadeer



Joined: 11 Jun 2006
Posts: 4678
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
I wouldn't say it was as bad as people make it into to be. Epoch overhyped the game when it was the first attempt, fans bought, without thinking it was their first attempt, and well....outcome was less than pretty.

The game itself, well, it's rough to be brief. There's a lot of interesting ideas and concepts but it feels like there wasn't enough polish. The story, while unique at the start, starts to become kind of repetitive with pacing issues. The combat's...okay.

I'd say if you go in with low expectations and don't buy into the hype people placed on it, you might have a bit of fun with it. Sadly, because of the sales, I doubt we're ever going to get something similar that actually attempts to fix the flaws.


Truthfully, I watched MasterLL's playthrough of the Japanese version a while back on YouTube and I have to say I got bored with each new video. I guess you were right about going in with low expectations. It really was overhyped, wasn't it? Shame on me for buying into it with those early screenshots.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ambimunch



Joined: 30 Aug 2012
Posts: 2012
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:22 am Reply with quote
Whoa SMT4 is out next week, that was fast. I remember pre-ordering it like 4 months ago or so--thinking its a title for the distant future..

Can't believe its out next week, I guess I kinda forgot lol
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group