• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kill Me Baby DVD

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Have to disagree here. Personally, I found KMB to be one of the most insipid and terrible pieces of garbage ever foisted upon the anime industry. I found "The Humanoid" to be more entertaining, really. But then again, I guess comedy is a subjective genre, so I'm glad you found something good about it! Smile
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I remember trying to watch this series a while back. I dropped it after four episodes. It was terrible in the original Japanese, and I don't think an English adaptation would be much of an improvement.

And lo and behold, the very same people who are in just about everything Sentai Filmworks dubs. They seriously need to start recruiting new talent. Either that, or start outsourcing to Bang Zoom more often.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed it for what it was, a minimalistic comedy in terms of visuals and writing.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I was not a big fan of this show but I may have to eventually buy it super cheap in some distant future bargain bin sale simply for the adorable Agiri. I wish somebody would go through and edit out every scene she isn't in. I'd buy that version in a heart beat.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I have never understood why people are so hostile when it comes to this show. It's not like the show was trying to be more then it is and you would think that this show getting licensed or even existing at all killed or doomed something other people liked based on how intensely people hated it.

I found absolutely nothing wrong with it. It's a simple little show both in it's animation and what it's about that is basically just set up gag and boom and if you like the characters and concept you get some decent laughs and if you don't you can move along and ignore. Tons of shows like this come out each year and I don't get why this one in particular raised everyones ire so much. I didn't think it was the best thing in the world but I found some of the little gags funny and it was at times cute. That's about it really I just don't get where the anger comes from.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I thought that Kill Me Baby was awful and was really surprised that it even got licensed to begin with. I could barely get through three episodes before dropping it.
DeathScytheRuler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Some 4-koma do alright when they get an anime adaption, but not this series.
Kohii

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:11 pm Reply with quote
This show and the Shining -something- bread of Happiness, win this year's "WTF!? This show got licensed/dubbed!?!?" award.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:58 pm Reply with quote
^
It was probably cheap to license, so even if it doesn't sell particularly well it could still turn a profit. Interesting that it got a dub though, I wonder if that will work out.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:41 am Reply with quote
I found this series mildly enjoyable. It had nothing to it except some jokes, but there was a good portion of good ones. Agiri was the best value, definitely. It's a one-note series, but I can't see that it executed its single concept incompetently.

Kohii wrote:
This show and the Shining -something- bread of Happiness, win this year's "WTF!? This show got licensed/dubbed!?!?" award.

Kill Me Baby is a comedy, people like jokes. Nothing weird there. Shining Hearts, on the other hand, was a fantasy series with no plot, terrible characters and nothing of worth apart from some nice designs and music.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:49 am Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:

And lo and behold, the very same people who are in just about everything Sentai Filmworks dubs. They seriously need to start recruiting new talent. Either that, or start outsourcing to Bang Zoom more often.

You've said this before, but every time they use new talent in a show, you ignore and dismiss it. Interesting. I guess you're not as bad as the people who bash all new talent, regardless of their quality while simultaneously complaining about using the same actors all the time.

And for the record, Garden of Words' male lead is a actor that is brand new to Sentai dubs and has been getting good reviews, but I imagine you will just skip that one out of spite. I would go one naming more examples, but they never seem to please you anyway.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:33 am Reply with quote
Why not Fosterized! Very Happy
Alien1375

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:25 am Reply with quote
Why does this mediocre series get a dvd release and a great comedyshow like Nichijou get nothing....

I guess I don't understand business.... Rolling Eyes
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:44 am Reply with quote
I like Kill Me Baby, it's nothing great to be sure, but it's got cute girls, nice animation and some funny gags, for a short series like this that's really all you need, it's an amusing little diversion

"BAAAAAAABY pleaaaase.....KILL ME!"
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:59 am Reply with quote
Alien1375 wrote:
Why does this mediocre series get a dvd release and a great comedyshow like Nichijou get nothing...

Nichijou has been given an R4 subtitle-only English-language DVD release. I don't know if it works for other regions, but the episodes can also be viewed for free from the same website.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5