• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Say Hello to Black Jack's Sato Divorces

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I wouldn't of expected such a frank explanation of the divorce, given the infidelity involved.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
stove top stuffing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:48 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Wow, I wouldn't of expected such a frank explanation of the divorce, given the infidelity involved.

No kidding.

I was 9 when my parents divorced and it wasn't a good divorce either. Not that any divorce is good generally but yeah. My heart goes out to their child.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:47 am Reply with quote
This is such sad news. I feel terrible for both the child and wife. I am also extremely disappointed by Sato's actions. I know, I know that we are supposed to appreciate the art regardless of the artist, but this makes me wonder: How much we can trust our evaluations of the people we encounter? Before, I would have thought it unlikely that someone thoughtful enough to write about the injustices of the japanese healthcare system would be willing to commit such an unjust action himself, and I'd assume his wife made a similar assessment while having much more information than I do. Consider my faith effectively shaken. Anyways, I hope his son doesn't let his parent's actions negatively affect him in any way.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:09 am Reply with quote
First, my condolences to everyone involved. I'm surprised at their candor as others have been but the fact they are both manga writers could have played into the decision to be more open about this than the norm.

That said, this is what propped out of the article for me 'Tomomi added in the interview, "Even though we're no longer married, it doesn't change the fact that we are our son's parents, so I would like our relationship as good work partners to continue, and I would also like to have a favorable relationship as parents."' Wouldn't this be considered progressive in Japanese culture? What I'm asking is, the way I with understand divorce in Japan usually the child goes to live with one parent and is effectively dead to the other one. What Ms Sato is stating is that even though they are now divorced they'll both be raising their child. That's rather non-Japanese/Western of them to be doing, isn't it? Maybe that is one of the reasons they even brought up all of this in a interview to begin with. Ms Sato seems to be making a statement here that you don't have to follow cultural norms and you can both stay good parents to your children if you divorce in Japan. Then again, I'm a Westerner, so I easily could be misreading/reading too much into this Confused
simona.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:07 pm Reply with quote
it's *very* progressive. most people in Japan were astounded by the existence of the interview itself, let alone Tomomi's statement. in an ideal world we should all be grown up enough to be like that but unfortunately human nature prevents many to do so. hats off to the Lady.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1