Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods Film Earns 2.9 Billion Yen


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
vulcanraven01



Joined: 18 Apr 2009
Posts: 670
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:30 am Reply with quote
Not bad at all.
I wonder what the budget was?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
the-antihero



Joined: 17 Aug 2010
Posts: 726
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:47 am Reply with quote
I hope FUNimation picks it up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hojo 360



Joined: 14 Aug 2012
Posts: 429
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:22 am Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
I hope FUNimation picks it up.
Same here but i wonder how much toei want's for it Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Maidenoftheredhand



Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Posts: 2437
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:32 am Reply with quote
I am sure Funimation will pick it up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vangelionite88



Joined: 09 Dec 2009
Posts: 285
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:56 pm Reply with quote
dbz fans be thirsty as heck, well in america at least, i do realize its more popular around the world, theres a post that people keep putting up saying that the B.O.G movie was so successful that toei and toriyama were going to produce another 200 plus episodes....

the fandom is ridiculously desperate for more dbz its sad even, i bet half the fandom does not even give a damn about toriyamas works beyond dbz, or toei for that matter. its blind ignorant fandom really....


well 30 million (2.9 billion yen) is kinda on the low end for a successful screening, also toei is busy enough with their current tittles, dbz fandom died in the 90's in japan guys, get over it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nhat



Joined: 21 Jan 2008
Posts: 916
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:20 pm Reply with quote
vangelionite88 wrote:
dbz fans be thirsty as heck, well in america at least, i do realize its more popular around the world, theres a post that people keep putting up saying that the B.O.G movie was so successful that toei and toriyama were going to produce another 200 plus episodes....

the fandom is ridiculously desperate for more dbz its sad even, i bet half the fandom does not even give a damn about toriyamas works beyond dbz, or toei for that matter. its blind ignorant fandom really....


well 30 million (2.9 billion yen) is kinda on the low end for a successful screening, also toei is busy enough with their current tittles, dbz fandom died in the 90's in japan guys, get over it.


Don't worry, DC and Marvel been doing this for over half a century, DBZ has nothing on them
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheDisillusionist



Joined: 18 Aug 2013
Posts: 10
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:04 pm Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
vangelionite88 wrote:
dbz fans be thirsty as heck, well in america at least, i do realize its more popular around the world, theres a post that people keep putting up saying that the B.O.G movie was so successful that toei and toriyama were going to produce another 200 plus episodes....

the fandom is ridiculously desperate for more dbz its sad even, i bet half the fandom does not even give a damn about toriyamas works beyond dbz, or toei for that matter. its blind ignorant fandom really....


well 30 million (2.9 billion yen) is kinda on the low end for a successful screening, also toei is busy enough with their current tittles, dbz fandom died in the 90's in japan guys, get over it.


Don't worry, DC and Marvel been doing this for over half a century, DBZ has nothing on them


Well comics and manga are inherently different. A comic can be written by a dozen different authors by effect extending its longevity throughout generations.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheDisillusionist



Joined: 18 Aug 2013
Posts: 10
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:15 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Not bad at all.
I wonder what the budget was?


Quote:
To help fund the movie’s production and promotion, Toei Animation was granted 50 million yen as part of the non-profit organization UNIJAPAN‘s “Co-production Certification Program”. The program was developed by the Japanese government’s Ministry of Economy, Trade, and Industry (METI), and other affiliated organizations, to support the international endeavors of Japanese filmmakers. Of the four films awarded funding support in 2012, “Battle of Gods” was the only animated film to receive such an honor due to its “enduring international popularity” and its production collaboration with the U.S. company Fox.


It roughly converts to 518,000 USD.

Source
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 13750
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:51 pm Reply with quote
TheDisillusionist wrote:
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Not bad at all.
I wonder what the budget was?


Quote:
To help fund the movie’s production and promotion, Toei Animation was granted 50 million yen as part of the non-profit organization UNIJAPAN‘s “Co-production Certification Program”. The program was developed by the Japanese government’s Ministry of Economy, Trade, and Industry (METI), and other affiliated organizations, to support the international endeavors of Japanese filmmakers. Of the four films awarded funding support in 2012, “Battle of Gods” was the only animated film to receive such an honor due to its “enduring international popularity” and its production collaboration with the U.S. company Fox.


It roughly converts to 518,000 USD.

Source


That's not the budget though. That's how much grant it was given to help production.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr Adventure



Joined: 14 Jul 2008
Posts: 1598
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:50 pm Reply with quote
TheDisillusionist wrote:


Well comics and manga are inherently different.
lol no. Sequential storytelling is sequential storytelling. The details might be different but the core definitions remain the same.

Quote:
A comic can be written by a dozen different authors by effect extending its longevity throughout generations.

There are many manga that are written/drawn by people other then their original creators. Yu-Gi-Oh anyone? And you're going to see it more and more as time goes on and a few core manga make up the bulk of sales.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Joe anime



Joined: 23 Aug 2005
Posts: 259
Location: Brooklyn,NY
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:57 pm Reply with quote
vangelionite88 wrote:
dbz fans be thirsty as heck, well in america at least, i do realize its more popular around the world, theres a post that people keep putting up saying that the B.O.G movie was so successful that toei and toriyama were going to produce another 200 plus episodes....

the fandom is ridiculously desperate for more dbz its sad even, i bet half the fandom does not even give a damn about toriyamas works beyond dbz, or toei for that matter. its blind ignorant fandom really....


well 30 million (2.9 billion yen) is kinda on the low end for a successful screening, also toei is busy enough with their current tittles, dbz fandom died in the 90's in japan guys, get over it.


I agree,they think that DBZ is the greatest anime ever,that's how ridiculous it is.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
dan9999



Joined: 25 Oct 2011
Posts: 648
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Joe anime wrote:
vangelionite88 wrote:
dbz fans be thirsty as heck, well in america at least, i do realize its more popular around the world, theres a post that people keep putting up saying that the B.O.G movie was so successful that toei and toriyama were going to produce another 200 plus episodes....

the fandom is ridiculously desperate for more dbz its sad even, i bet half the fandom does not even give a damn about toriyamas works beyond dbz, or toei for that matter. its blind ignorant fandom really....


well 30 million (2.9 billion yen) is kinda on the low end for a successful screening, also toei is busy enough with their current tittles, dbz fandom died in the 90's in japan guys, get over it.


I agree,they think that DBZ is the greatest anime ever,that's how ridiculous it is.


It aint the greatest anime ever, it isn't and noone is saying that.

On the other hand its one of the top popular series EVER all round the world. And also for what it was back when it aired, what it accomplished, its status in anime history, its arguably the number one shounen EVER, only rivaled by One Piece, which is arguably objectively superior.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
getchman
He started itHe started it


Joined: 07 Apr 2012
Posts: 8748
Location: Bedford, NH
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:59 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:

It aint the greatest anime ever, and noone is saying that.



visit Funi's Facebook page once in a while.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
CrowLia



Joined: 24 Feb 2012
Posts: 5321
Location: Mexico
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:54 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
dan9999 wrote:

It aint the greatest anime ever, and noone is saying that.



visit Funi's Facebook page once in a while.


Visit any Mexican anime forum every once in a while. The local Cinema chain got 200K+ likes in 20 minutes when they asked if people wanted the movie here. We're getting it dubbed on cinemas -not special screenings, but actual widespread national screening- by the end of September. People are insane for DBZ here
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
vangelionite88



Joined: 09 Dec 2009
Posts: 285
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:32 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
dan9999 wrote:

It aint the greatest anime ever, and noone is saying that.



visit Funi's Facebook page once in a while.


action/shonen yeah, but thats hardly the full wonder and capability that i have seen anime accomplish. I suppose dbz was the first tittle to hit it big world-wide, but in japan its popularity is rather sporatic, one piece rules the fandom over there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group