• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Touch's Adachi to Launch New Over Fence Baseball Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:08 am Reply with quote
Nice to see Adachi still going at it. Hopefully Over Fence will be another successful hit. Adachi is one of those few mangaka who can do sports titles right.
Ariolander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:36 am Reply with quote
People underestimate Sports stories as a medium of story telling and character development.

Baseball especially, some of the best coming of age stories I have read have been baseball manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
boznia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:40 am Reply with quote
New weekly Adachi manga Very Happy . 60 years old and still goin' at it.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:15 am Reply with quote
I'm so torn. Do I want to wait until all of the Cross Game manga has been released in the U.S., or should I just go ahead and watch the anime?
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:43 am Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
I'm so torn. Do I want to wait until all of the Cross Game manga has been released in the U.S., or should I just go ahead and watch the anime?

Vol.3's was out this week, and it's listed up to vol.6 on Amazon- pretty sure we're getting the entire thing as it'll be 8 total. Packaging it in omnibus format was a smart move on VIZ's part- it's a great value, and suddenly, a short series. It's a deeply moving, character driven story with one of the most stunning first volumes I've read in awhile- and the larger format totally works for it, letting the baseball games flow freely and packing more story into each volume. The book design's quite lovely too, with solid orange/green and large spines with full figure character art on them.

I'd suggest getting the manga ASAP- haven't watched the anime, but it sounds quite charming as well.
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:01 am Reply with quote
SO WIN!!

Cross Game is one of my fav manga/anime, Adachi is a manga god!

And, making a story about Minori is just genius, the episodes that centers around her spoiler[accepting the fact that she wants Koh to win, and wants to watch the game].

I really hope Viz picks this one up as well, and I hope there'll be an anime for it!!
ac195

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:25 am Reply with quote
MrHatandClogs wrote:
I really hope Viz picks this one up as well, and I hope there'll be an anime for it!!

Woah, woah... slow down... I won't deny that Adachi is a legend of a mangaka... and baseball plus Adachi may be a winning formula most of the time... but, anyone who has read H2 knows that it isn't a guaranteed homerun...
Sav uh Gee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:49 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
Romuska wrote:

Vol.3's was out this week, and it's listed up to vol.6 on Amazon- pretty sure we're getting the entire thing as it'll be 8 total. Packaging it in omnibus format was a smart move on VIZ's part- it's a great value, and suddenly, a short series. It's a deeply moving, character driven story with one of the most stunning first volumes I've read in awhile- and the larger format totally works for it, letting the baseball games flow freely and packing more story into each volume. The book design's quite lovely too, with solid orange/green and large spines with full figure character art on them.

I'd suggest getting the manga ASAP- haven't watched the anime, but it sounds quite charming as well.

I like how Viz has been handling Cross Game as well. Despite reading it while it was being scanlated, I had to pick it up. Also, if you've read through volume 3 already, you can watch the anime through episode 19 and not have anything ruined. The studio that did it really created a nice atmosphere and stayed very true to the manga. The production values aren't as high as other anime, but Adachi's stories don't need a big budget to make a great show. It's sweet and simple. And all 50 episodes are free on Hulu!
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:29 am Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:

I watched the anime first, and am reading the manga now, and I don't feel that my enjoyment of the manga has been at all diminished even with knowing what's coming. It's one of those rare stories that's that kind of good.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I wish Adachi just writes the story this time and let someone else draw for him. haha. it's not going to happen. ohh well.
teferi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:10 pm Reply with quote
ac195 wrote:
MrHatandClogs wrote:

Woah, woah... slow down... I won't deny that Adachi is a legend of a mangaka... and baseball plus Adachi may be a winning formula most of the time... but, anyone who has read H2 knows that it isn't a guaranteed homerun...

What has H2 got to do with it not being a success? Aside from the anime being abysmal (and that's mostly in comparison to the manga) I don't see any connection.
ac195

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:36 am Reply with quote
teferi wrote:
ac195 wrote:
MrHatandClogs wrote:

What has H2 got to do with it not being a success? Aside from the anime being abysmal (and that's mostly in comparison to the manga) I don't see any connection.

The manga's love triangle was played out way too much... he could have resolved it in half the amount of volumes... but, it was dragged on and on. People burned out on H2.

And that's why I'm saying Adachi + Baseball doesn't always equal success (Hell, isn't Idol A on hiatus too?)... so saying "Viz should license this too!" before it's even published is pretty nearsighted.

Hell, I'd rather see some of Adachi's older works licensed, like Touch or Miyuki, rather than some brand-new work we know nothing about...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1