• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
US Premiere: Blue Exorcist 1: The Devil Resides in Human Souls

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkJr92892

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:44 pm Reply with quote
This ended up being pretty good Smile. I was thinking it was only going to be okay before seeing some of Crunchy's pics Embarassed.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:07 am Reply with quote
That was a really good premiere, and I love the animation and art style (perhaps a bit like Okamura's Darker Than Black combined with FMA, in line with his studio Bones roots). The characters were really fun right off the bat too, looking forward to more.

Hoping the soundtrack delivers (this guy's doing such a great job on Gundam Unicorn's soundtrack), the epic tracks were really good and should totally prove to deliver when the action really goes down and some of the light stuff was nice too so I'm looking forward to what the soundtrack does as we really get into this with episode 2.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:23 am Reply with quote
This seemed incredibly generic, though it was better than I thought it would be. I'd have preferred it if they hadn't gone with the SD scenes to put in "comedy" to "relieve tension" as it wrecks the pacing of the show & shoots its potential in the foot. Though I think this show might still be good despite them, a la FMA instead of Needless. The ridiculous bromance could have been left out though, if that had been drawn out any further, this would have been a softcore yaoi.

I get the feeling someone in Japan saw Little Nicky and drew inspiration, combining it with a bit of Bleach and the stereotypical Japanese misconceptions about Catholicism.

If the show actually has characters which develop, an overarching plot with a definite direction (and known end), it could blossom. At the very least, if it avoids the shounen cycle of countless protracted battles which end ultimately with a "new attack/power" being pulled out of thin air to save the day, interspersed with pointless filler, then it will be worth watching. (i.e. NOT like Bleach, Naruto, DBZ, One Piece, etc.) That formula has been done to death and then some, the modified shounen formula as seen in FMA is what I'm hoping for.

I'm sure skimming the manga would show me that this is just going to be another cliche shounen series though, won't it?
Saturn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:39 pm Reply with quote
the first ep was good, but then again the first eps in a LOT of never-ending shounen series are good, so I'm not sure about this one yet. If it goes the route of FMA and follows a story to a logical end, I'm game. If it goes on for freaking ever and everyone in the story gets their own superpower and there's a new, more powerful baddie randomly popping up every other episode (a la Bleach and Dragon Ball), who cares? Rolling Eyes
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Is there some trick to convincing the server that the HD stream is free this week? After jumping around to test other shows I finally got it to roll-over from the ad in 360/480 mode, but trying to flip to 720p locks the player up.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:28 pm Reply with quote
The main character seems to have some emotional issues, I could see this falling into the "Ichigo Cycle" that Bleach has: An enemy appears, Ichigo gets beaten, Ichigo is despondent & lugubrious (ie an emo punk) for a few episodes, then somehow he gets a new power by some BS method, and he redeems himself. Rinse & Repeat forever Sad

I really don't see this surpassing Chrono Crusade, it's the shounen downgrade of it.

BTW, do these "seasons" for shows count all anime, or just shows on main Japanese channels? I ask as there once was a time when great shows that hooked me at Episode One came out, but several times they were only on satellite channels, like Ergo Proxy. I refuse to believe that greatness is no longer being made...or that the only way to get it, allegedly, is to suffer through a loli magical girl show. I suffered Fractale & Freezing, I really don't trust any other show from last season.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I liked the family dynamic between Rin, Yukio, and their, um, Priest-dad, I found it sweet and not bordering yaoi at all.

I also liked the first half of the episode a lot--Rin is a good kid, his heart is in the right place and he's just prone to aggression and bad luck, etc, etc. I know that shonen leads been done in almost every other show, but his personality seemed very natural and I was rooting for him in the supermarket scene.

Things got a bit dicey at the end. Mediocre all around--"awakening" superpowers, random demon bad guy, quick exorcism, lots of non-sensical exposition that makes you drop your sense of disbalief in T-2 seconds because they didn't build up to it at all and don't explain it well...been there, done that. Rolling Eyes

Some lines could have made it better:
Rin: "Thanks, but I really didn't need to know that about my parents. Now I have this image in my head of....wait, if Satan's my father, who's my mother? Why'd they leave us with a priest of all people? And why doesn't my *twin* have any flaming blue powers?"

I might stick around to find out the answers to these questions, or just wait 'till someone abridges it on Youtube. Twisted Evil

Are the episodes free to watch at all, or do you have to be a premium member to see eps 2 on?
CatoriStar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
The main character seems to have some emotional issues, I could see this falling into the "Ichigo Cycle" that Bleach has: An enemy appears, Ichigo gets beaten, Ichigo is despondent & lugubrious (ie an emo punk) for a few episodes, then somehow he gets a new power by some BS method, and he redeems himself.

Lol! An emo punk is such an accurate description.

I didn't think there was bromance. The main character and that other guy, they're twins right so I think it makes sense they'd be close.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1