• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop Takes on Digital Music

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vantos

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:41 am Reply with quote
...mangapods? How does something like that even work? Man, Tokyopop just being weird now.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:59 am Reply with quote
What I'm really amused by is how a year, maybe two years ago, they were quite adamant about how music was something they had no desire whatsoever to deal with again...Well, guess, in a year, a lot of things can change.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Satellite radio manga channel? Are they gonna hire William Shatner to read their manga or something?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
x_Shinta_x

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Yay!! More crap from Tokyopop! Now gimme uneditted Initial D that doesn't have DJ Crappy or whatever his name was. I speculate releasing DJ Crappy's tracks for the iPod is to torture the anime fans on the go kinda, kinda like Communist propoganda, only mobile.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I'm not crazy right? Will someone please tell me that I'm not crazy in thinking Tokyopop is abusing volcabulary and the term manga? I've been saying this for a while, and I just feel this is just plain obvious here.

How do you have a manga audiobook? Manga, a part of a medium that is by its very nature visual, is being turned into an audio book called a mangapod. Ridiculous.

If anything these are adapting manga into what I've heard audio dramas, pretty much what used to be called radio dramas like the shadow. This is a bit different than audio books, formerly books on tape, which are novels simply read aloud.

Though I think I downloaded one of them for one of their American graphic novels (which they call manga or OEL manga or Global Manga now). They do already own the rights to it. Basically they made an audio drama out of I Luv Halloween. They had other ones.

Why they would wast money, time, and energy creating audio dramas instead of just publishing manga and now US graphic novels? I have no clue.

Manga ringtones? I could see anime ones, not that Tokyopop has too many series. Though generally I'd rather make my own and see fans doing it for themseves. Manga (not just anime) soundtracks? I guess they'd be custom and made by Tokyopop, but I don't know why you would waste the time and money. Manga podcasts? Again, I see fans doing that on their own. I'm sure they are already. Then again, I hate I tunes anyway.

Wait, my roomate reminded me that iPods and media players are also visual now. So they could do that. Still, how the hell wants to view panel by panel on an iPod (or even the new one or a Creative Zen like he has). Plus manga is designed to be read as pages, not on a tiny screen. He acutally has tried scans on his Zen, whole pages, but it really loses alot. I certainly doubt it's worth any real money.

(Also, if you want to complain about the legality, I gave him old fan scanlations of a Tokyopop book I own all of so far, Blame!. Still not technically legal as I didn't scan and translate them myself, but now you're being a bit ridiculous. Hell I own volume 1 in both English and Japanese.)

I don't think I'm too wrong in saying that Tokyopop is murdering the language of the industry just so they can take over the market and make money.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:02 am Reply with quote
Oh well, Bootleg Eurobeat for me. Nice try TOKYOPOP!!
hanachan01

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:12 am Reply with quote
If there are going to do audio dramas, they should take pre-exsisting one in the Japan of the anime they own, such as Marmalade Boy, and translate them, and get the dub actors to preform them. I think it would be very cool if they did that, instaeds of 'mangapods' or whatnot.
Kurozen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:33 am Reply with quote
How about they quit the bullcrap and TRY RELEASING VOLUMES FASTER! If they have the money to invest in all this pointless crap they have the money to hire more translators and editors.
hanachan01

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:46 am Reply with quote
Kurozen wrote:
How about they quit the bullcrap and TRY RELEASING VOLUMES FASTER! If they have the money to invest in all this pointless crap they have the money to hire more translators and editors.

I have to agree with you. This digital music thing is probably expensive, and it could be used to make the publishing part better.

Also, I know this is a little OT, but this is about TokyoPop, so I guess I can say it. I don't like how TokyoPop charges us the full price for manga for OEL/global manga. It wasn't liscensed. It wasn't translated. So why does it cost as much as manga that was? People may be more likely to buy it if it cost as much as the typical paperback book in that size, which is usually about $5. I feel that charging us $10 is a total ripoff.
ParadoxCafe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:33 am Reply with quote
Tokyopop is getting stupid.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:57 am Reply with quote
ParadoxCafe wrote:
Tokyopop is getting stupid.

Only now your getting the memo?

I think they jumped the shark when they thought it was a good idea to make a OEL offa Courtney Love.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1