• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Aria the Scarlet Ammo Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaking09

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm not gonna be with you on any of Rie Kugimiya's performances Carl, because neither of them are what I call "timeless"/you hear one of her tsundere roles, you heard them all.
Sure my mileage has long since been over, but at least you can see that her voice is rivaling Yui Horie's over usage to the point it becomes a reason to watch dubs...

Personally, Carl I thought you only liked Tora for it's early promise, not the overall series.
Still, it's nice to see some well deserved D grades getting handed out.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:26 pm Reply with quote
But what about the parachute scene!!! Laughing
Animerican14

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:02 am Reply with quote
It's reassuring to see that Funimation had such sharp intuition in simulcasting, and I guess inevitably distributing, this series... Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AP24

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:25 am Reply with quote
You know you shouldn't judge this series so early. This anime is based on a light novel series and the anime just started vol 2's story. Anime based on light novel series usually tend to get better as the story progresses.

As for the character Aria, I think it would be difficult to have already developed her own charm in just 6 episodes. When I first watched Shakugan no Shana, it took me quite a number of episodes to recognize Shana's charm. Also, there are some parts in the light novels where some cute sides of Aria are shown but they didn't show it quite well in the anime.

Based on what I've read in the light novels, I think the last half of this season will be better. This season will most likely end at light novel vol 3 so I hope there is gonna be another season cause it gets much better starting from vol 4.
Ushio

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:32 am Reply with quote
In other words all the good light novels have already been animated and there scraping the bottom of the barrel.

So having watched it I was shocked that even I who has maybe disliked not even 20 anime in my 2 decades of being an anime fan found it tedious and boring.

AP24 - it's getting 13 episodes it's not just suddenly going to get better in it's remaining half. Concidering this is a late night anime I expect it to get worse they usually do.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:44 am Reply with quote
I watched the first episode, and the only moment that made it for me was where Kinji is getting ready for school, and the 'childhood friend' character is working to make sure he has his lunch or whatever. A painfully, big-time cliche for sure. But then she takes out his firearm and says something along the lines of "don't forget your gun and your lethal bullets, honey!" That was such an out-of-the-blue amusing twist--it's just too bad that everything else about this episode was wrong, and I didn't need to watch anymore episodes to confirm its doomed nature.
maaya

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:15 am Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
In other words all the good light novels have already been animated and there scraping the bottom of the barrel.

I highly doubt that. They just animate the same kind of novels all the time.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:01 am Reply with quote
There's also the shows habit of borrowing sequences from other works but mainly failing to turn them into tributes. The bike threat using the cliche from Speed was a little interesting and funny, especially with the Uzi Segways... but they do it again.... with a bus. And those that have seen enough Detective Conan know that the plane emergency comes almost straight out of the movie Magician of the Silver Sky, both the escape of criminal and the location they have to land the plane.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:58 am Reply with quote
AP24 wrote:
You know you shouldn't judge this series so early. This anime is based on a light novel series and the anime just started vol 2's story. Anime based on light novel series usually tend to get better as the story progresses.

No they don't. The best ideas are used at the beginning to draw in the audience, and the longer they go on, the more desperate the author becomes to find ideas to use that can prolong the series. I found both Shana and Index were at their best in the first season, as by the second they had mostly finished with the major world building and tried to move on to advancing the romantic relationships of the main characters, but did so without further developing them or providing growth.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:10 am Reply with quote
Finally, an overall "D" rating.

I once wondered before how harsh a review would have to be to get a D or F.

I agree with the review, in my opinion Aria the Scarlet Ammo is bad. I am actually still watching it because it is free, and it might get even worse.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Conan Doyle's and Monkey Punch's if you're curious

To be fair, it's actually Conan Doyle's and Maurice Leblanc's characters.
Since Maurice Leblanc was the writer of the original Arsène Lupin stories.

And with that said, it was actually Maurice Leblanc's Arsène Lupin that introduced the Holmes/Lupin rivalry.
MarkJr92892

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:46 pm Reply with quote
It's hard to beleive that no one else has posted saying they love this show yet, so... Aria the Scarlet Ammo is GREAT!!! Razz

I LOVE the exagerated clichés and the constant straight man in Aria the Scarlet Ammo. Really, I love all slapstick gag animes with a straight man that does not change from being one character to another and then another. Me, I judge slapstick gag animes by how well they weave the gags into a story. This one is flowing smoothly. The pattern in the cloth is not as interesting as that in We, Without Wings: Under the Innocent Sky, but it is still of appreciable quality. This show evokes almost constant out-loud laughter from me. As well, it keeps me interested in what wil happen next in the story without becoming irritated even with its abundance of echi gags before it. I find the interactions between the straight man and the—as it was said in SKET Dance—"goofy people" to be scincere when appropriate for a slapstick gag anime.

In the end, I think you guys are looking at the show as if it were a drama. Shounen anime dramas have people crushing people's craniums with their bare hands—I don't see something like that happening in this show any time soon. Indeed, the distance it keeps from this (we're halfway through the series and no one has died yet) should be an indicator that it is not only a comedy but a slapstick one at that.

(My "crushing people's craniums" example was from the seventeenth episode of Legend of the Legendary Heroes.)
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:35 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
But what about the parachute scene!!! Laughing

Oh, that made me Laughing, thank you for sharing! Very Happy
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:38 pm Reply with quote
MarkJr92892 wrote:
It's hard to beleive that no one else has posted saying they love this show yet, so... Aria the Scarlet Ammo is GREAT!!! Razz

I LOVE the exagerated clichés and the constant straight man in Aria the Scarlet Ammo. Really, I love all slapstick gag animes with a straight man that does not change from being one character to another and then another. Me, I judge slapstick gag animes by how well they weave the gags into a story. This one is flowing smoothly. The pattern in the cloth is not as interesting as that in We, Without Wings: Under the Innocent Sky, but it is still of appreciable quality. This show evokes almost constant out-loud laughter from me. As well, it keeps me interested in what wil happen next in the story without becoming irritated even with its abundance of echi gags before it. I find the interactions between the straight man and the—as it was said in SKET Dance—"goofy people" to be scincere when appropriate for a slapstick gag anime.

In the end, I think you guys are looking at the show as if it were a drama. Shounen anime dramas have people crushing people's craniums with their bare hands—I don't see something like that happening in this show any time soon. Indeed, the distance it keeps from this (we're halfway through the series and no one has died yet) should be an indicator that it is not only a comedy but a slapstick one at that.

(My "crushing people's craniums" example was from the seventeenth episode of Legend of the Legendary Heroes.)
It saddens me deeply to say that I'm still only about 90% sure whether this is sarcasm or not. Laughing
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:43 pm Reply with quote
it's just another j.c. staff adaption what do you expect?? I have then this done for the past 6 years already maybe if they didn't change the m.c. to a complete pussy I wouldn't care as much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3