• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miyazaki's The Wind Rises Wins Awards From 2 Critic Boards

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:05 am Reply with quote
I think this says a lot about how weak America's crop of animated films was this year that a schmalzty, cliched story that almost completely ignores the historical context it takes place in gets "best picture."

What I want to know is, did they get to a listen to a dub? Because I really want to know if not listening to Hideaki Anno's awful acting improves the experience of the movie.
EricJ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:56 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
I think this says a lot about how weak America's crop of animated films was this year that a schmalzty, cliched story that almost completely ignores the historical context it takes place in gets "best picture."

It's the snooty highbrow CRITIC'S awards, not the Oscars, and Frozen still has the unstoppable-juggernaut lock on the statue. (And it's Best Animated, not "Best Picture", which is going to be a mass rush for "12 Years a Slave".)
Even though the real Oscars ran out of ideas back when they shortened the voting period--and now just crib their nominations from the Golden Globes and Critics' Circles--the newspaper Critics' Circle awards still feel "persecuted" by the "mainstream" Oscars, and feel they have to pick the underground arthouse discoveries to make the public aware of. (To show that the "power of critics" hasn't been "buried" by Hollywood Hype.)

In this case, they made a special effort of showing off that they'd heard of Wind Rises,
A) to tell people to go see it,
B) to give Hayao a retirement present,
and
C) to thumb their nose en masse to the "evil Pixar sequels" of Monsters U, which...wasn't all that bad really, and better than I expected. Smile

(They didn't particularly care WHICH Miyazaki movie they were giving the award to, just so long as it was his, and the big farewell.
Sort of like the way none of the Oscar voters saw Wreck-It Ralph in the theaters last year but said, "Hey, after all, Brave's Pixar, how bad could it be? You never go wrong voting for Pixar!" Razz )
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:15 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

It is a weak field, except for Frozen, which handily ices all of the competition. I'd definitely support it over Momo in the Academy Awards, but I have no opinion on Miyazaki's film yet as I've yet to see it. I honestly do hope Frozen wins as to encourage Disney and other studios to try harder, and bring back decent musicals.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:15 pm Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:
the newspaper Critics' Circle awards still feel "persecuted" by the "mainstream" Oscars, and feel they have to pick the underground arthouse discoveries to make the public aware of. (To show that the "power of critics" hasn't been "buried" by Hollywood Hype.)

Isn't there an animated film about Noam Chomsky they could vote for?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I finally saw Frozen and loved it. I haven't seen The Wind Rises yet, it won't likely play in Ottawa until the wider release in February, but I doubt I'd like it more than I liked Frozen, not that what I like is the arbiter of what ought to win, but I have a very good feeling that this will be the year (well, this will be the early-next-year) that Disney Feature Animation will finally get their first Best Animated Feature Academy Award.

It'll be the 13th year that Best Animated Feature has been a category at the Oscars, so 13 will be DFA's lucky number.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Looks like this years Academy awards is going to be one heck of an interesting competition. One home country favorite going against the final film from one of the last of the hand drawn Animation Gods, its going to be unpredictable if both go in for the finals. Toe to Toe Frozen and The Wind Rises will be, fighting and clawing their way for the award, Ghibli vs. Disney, something we haven't seen in 10 years. Even if I go to see frozen and I absolutely love this I'll still hope Miyazaki wins this, if anyone deserves it it's him as a thank you for all of his years of service to the animation industry and the arts. (That's if he doesn't win a lifetime achievement award of some kind, which he really deserves, this guy is just too amazing.)
EricJ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:32 am Reply with quote
yotsubafanfan wrote:
Looks like this years Academy awards is going to be one heck of an interesting competition. One home country favorite going against the final film from one of the last of the hand drawn Animation Gods, its going to be unpredictable if both go in for the finals. Toe to Toe Frozen and The Wind Rises will be, fighting and clawing their way for the award, Ghibli vs. Disney, something we haven't seen in 10 years. Even if I go to see frozen and I absolutely love this I'll still hope Miyazaki wins this, if anyone deserves it it's him as a thank you for all of his years of service to the animation industry and the arts. (That's if he doesn't win a lifetime achievement award of some kind, which he really deserves, this guy is just too amazing.)

Howl's Moving Castle was nominated because it had a wide release.
(And just about no other darn reason that I can see, apart from voters wanting to show how much they'd heard of Miyazaki now after Spirited.)

Wind didn't get a wide release--just a one-week qualifying run for the highbrow animation experts who knew it was coming--so like it or not, Frozen has a tougher battle from "The Croods" or "Despicable Me 2" than it does from the critic's favorite.
It'll be up there as Token Arthouse Favorite (sort of like Secret of the Kells or Triplets of Belleville was), but any Good-vs.-Evil battle is solely in your imagination.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:26 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen DM2 or MU, but Croods was only just entertaining but certainly not anything award-worthy. It'd be like Pacific Rim winning best picture. Or maybe that award category will just settle for anything?
EricJ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:34 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I haven't seen DM2 or MU, but Croods was only just entertaining but certainly not anything award-worthy. It'd be like Pacific Rim winning best picture. Or maybe that award category will just settle for anything?

It'll settle for anything mainstream wide-released that the voters SAW.
(And just one or two token arthouses they heard of, to show off.)

And on that note, sad to say, expect a few mainstream compromises in the category, and more for the funny Croods-critters than for say, Epic.
Someday, the animation-fan Cult of Chris Sanders will all commit a bliss of mass suicides like the Heaven's Gaters, but until that day, he's still got a free ride with the mainstream-watching critics for Lilo and Dragons. (When we all know those both had Dean DeBlois cleaning up his work for him.)
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:36 am Reply with quote
^ I assure you that I don't see any circumstances where The Croods wins anything. Unless one indulges in really conspiratorial thinking about Dreamworks paying-off Academy voters.

EDIT: Oh, I loved both Lilo & Stitch (moreso than Spirited Away) and How To Train Your Dragon, but I didn't realize that Chris Sanders co-directed The Croods. Actually, I didn't even bother with The Croods, I just found the trailers butt ugly, and I won't see an animated movie if I don't like the visuals on some level.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:17 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Or maybe that award category will just settle for anything?

To words: Shark Tale. 36% on Rotten Tomatoes, got an Oscar Nomination.
EricJ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:01 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Or maybe that award category will just settle for anything?

To words: Shark Tale. 36% on Rotten Tomatoes, got an Oscar Nomination.

Bringing back the conspiracy theories of Dreamworks paying off the Oscars.
(Or at least maniacally obsessed, after tasting blood on the first one, and being "cruelly" denied the statue ever afterwards. TOLD ya that first '01 committee should've voted for Monsters Inc., but noooo....)
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I will admit that Shark Tale getting nominated was kind of a "stnank", but, let's be honest, any animated film that year that wasn't The Incredibles was going to be also-ran cannon fodder anyway.

Maybe Martin Scorsese's involvement in Shark Tale put it over the top? Not that I think Ghost in the Shell 2 would have likely gotten nominated anyway.

Besides, I didn't rule out The Croods getting nominated for the Oscar, I just mean it has no chance of actually taking home the statue.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Congrats to Miyzaki for getting this awards, it deserve it. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1