• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese Journalist Proposes International Edit for Ghibli's Latest Film

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ani12

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I don't care either way, but I'm predicting people flipping out over this.

Edit: Oh wait, I forgot Ghibli won't have films edited overseas(without their approval, at least), anyway.

Last edited by ani12 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:10 pm Reply with quote
While I understand where he might get that impression, he should probably be informed that the types of folks who'd flip over that sort of thing aren't typically the type to go to foreign films in general, or anime films in particular.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Guess they're afraid of backlash from Americans who cannot fathom the idea of casual family nudity situations, like bathing together. I say no editing whatsoever just because some are offended by the human body.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:15 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
While I understand where he might get that impression, he should probably be informed that the types of folks who'd flip over that sort of thing aren't typically the type to go to foreign films in general, or anime films in particular.

Ghibli titles are, though. They are normally picked up for wide distribution and aimed at all ages in America. I don't think many American families would want to bring their children to see a movie with naked characters in it, given the culture.
ajr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Not having seen the movie, I'd say it's a fair concern from a commercial perspective. I don't really care so long as the original edit is on the bluray/DVD. Still, this is a movie fairly steeped in Japanese culture/folklore anyway, right?
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:23 pm Reply with quote
"That the film be re-edited into an "international" version"
Well, looks like that time machine I was building worked. I'm back in 1999. Awesome.... HOW DO I GET BACK????

Seriously... I have nothing to comment. I have absolutely nothing to say except... screw it. If we have to censor art like this.... I don't know.
And yes, I consider this art. Laugh if you want. It's just really sad...
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Just release this overseas, if it get's a PG-13 or a R rating, then I don't give a damn!!! Anime fans will watch this, I don't expect families and mainstream people to take this seriously.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:33 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Well, looks like that time machine I was building worked. I'm back in 1999. Awesome.... HOW DO I GET BACK????

Seriously... I have nothing to comment. I have absolutely nothing to say except... screw it. If we have to censor art like this.... I don't know.

Lets be frank: Western audiences, especially Americans, are really prudes when it comes to anything sexual in media. Just look at this forum itself... people constantly cry about fanservice in anime, while in Japan its so natural that even kids shows have lots of fanservice. People over there don't even think twice about it since its just normal. Sad as it is, sometimes you gotta change or edit things to appeal to foreign audiences due to their culture just viewing things vastly different.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:34 pm Reply with quote
The nudity's probably not any worse than that of Bart in The Simpsons movie. And the Ghibli Twitter account claims they're working on subs for it, so I guess Disney's still interested? [Or maybe it's GKids.]

ani: If Americans are going to flip out, they had the chance when we got that flying tanuki nutsack movie. Rolling Eyes

Ryan:
Quote:
I don't think many American families would want to bring their children to see a movie with naked characters in it, given the culture.

They had no problem with baby Superman showing his junk in the original film. And that part was totally unnecessary, and in retrospect, kind of creepy for a studio to approve, considering what was going on with Polanski at the time.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:39 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Lets be frank: Western audiences, especially Americans, are really prudes when it comes to anything sexual in media. Just look at this forum itself... people constantly cry about fanservice in anime, while in Japan its so natural that even kids shows have lots of fanservice. People over there don't even think twice about it since its just normal. Sad as it is, sometimes you gotta change or edit things to appeal to foreign audiences due to their culture just viewing things vastly different.

While I agree with you in principle, Ryan, one should consider whether or not the numbers brought in will be worth those turned away.

There can be no doubt that Sailor Moon, Dragonball, and Macross would have never found their way to American television without editing, and had they not reached the airwaves, anime fandom in the West would never be what it is now.

That said, I'm not convinced that a story so steeped in Japanese traditional culture is a major draw for mainstream Western audiences. Getting a few more curious parents to bring their families to see the film won't be worth it if the established anime fans decide to skip the experience over editing.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:43 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

Poor Takahata. He should have put sex, violence and rock and roll.
Then there would have been no problem at all with airing this in the US. Americans never cease to amaze me. Violence, dismemberment, rape are ok. A nipple ? Good god, call the moral police. Rolling Eyes
As a European I say "who cares". Let the Americans and their cristian integralists censor this film. As long as it has a unedited version coming to Europe. Laughing
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:48 pm Reply with quote
This film will:

1. Not be edited

2. Likely released with a PG or PG-13 rating in a limited 500-screens-or-less run by Disney's Touchstone label with marketing aimed at arthouse audiences

3. Quickly be shuttled to bluray

Don't know what you're all so worried about aside from the usual "oh boy oh boy a chance to climb up on my soapbox about american prudes" thing.

Edit: I should also remind folks that the Ghibli-Disney deal does not allow Disney to edit their films for distribution. They can pass on a film, but they cannot release one edited.

Last edited by Zac on Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
El-ahrairah

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:48 pm Reply with quote
They should do both, an edited 'kiddy' one that could be put in the kids DVDs section, and a unedited one for the people who find censorship abhorred (like me). Embarassed
mic911911

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Since this is a Japanese folk tale I think it is important to note that most folk tales from all around the world contain something that someone will take offense to. Like the Grimm fairy tales which have a lot of violence and dark themes, over time those tales have been changed to become more acceptable to the audience that found inappropriate content. In the case of this film they can have the nudity removed and the story will not be changed at all, but me personally I have no problem with the nudity in a family situation. I come from a big family so seeing naked kids and women having to go breast feed or putting up pictures of their naked 2 year olds is a regular thing.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
This film will:

1. Not be edited

2. Likely released with a PG or PG-13 rating in a limited 500-screens-or-less run by Disney's Touchstone label with marketing aimed at arthouse audiences

3. Quickly be shuttled to bluray

Don't know what you're all so worried about aside from the usual "oh boy oh boy a chance to climb up on my soapbox about american prudes" thing.

Edit: I should also remind folks that the Ghibli-Disney deal does not allow Disney to edit their films for distribution. They can pass on a film, but they cannot release one edited.

People seem to forget that, yeah I don't mind a PG-13 rating for this one (I can accept R-rating too). But it better not get a NC-17/Hard R rating from the MPAA.

El-ahrairah wrote:
They should do both, an edited 'kiddy' one that could be put in the kids DVDs section, and a unedited one for the people who find censorship abhorred (like me). Embarassed

Well I can accept that, except kids are not that dumb, I've seen smart kids as young 6 or 7 years old was able to figure out about anime editing for the US broadcast. I met a young elementary school kid that knew about 4kids editing of One Piece and other anime. So yeah, I don't know if making 2 different version (1 for kid, and 1 for anime fans) may work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6