• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nobunagun (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:21 am Reply with quote

Nobunagun

Genres: action, science fiction, supernatural
Themes: girls with guns

Plot Summary: Shio Ogura is a Japanese high school student, who is visiting Taiwan on a school trip when she is suddenly attacked by monsters. Agents known as "E-Gene Holders" from the government agency DOGOO also arrive, who wield weapons infused with the spirits of historical figures. Shio is revealed to also be an E-Gene Holder when the soul of Oda Nobunaga awakens after she tries to rescue a friend.

Episode 1:

Well that suddenly was something. I'm honestly not used to either the artwork or the action yet but it has potential. It feels okay so far and might be on the right track but I'm still getting used to the setting a bit. Shio is awesome though but not sure about that soundtrack just yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jaw271

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Is this being simulcast by anyone, I can't seem to find it anywhere? Question
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:34 pm Reply with quote
jaw271 wrote:

crunchyroll just licensed it about half and hour ago
jaw271

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Talk about fast...I was just on their site looking. Thanks for the heads up!

getchman wrote:
jaw271 wrote:

crunchyroll just licensed it about half and hour ago
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Oooo, this looks like it might be fun.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I'll be honest, I thought the first 20 minutes were kinda...dull. It wasn't until Sio started grinning like a lunatic and Nobunaga started laughing maniacally that it instantly redeemed itself in my eyes. Looking forward to more. Very Happy
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Similar to Nobunaga the Fool, it is pretty much an in name only reference at least in regards to the first episode, but for me Nobunagun did not strike me as a work necessary in following up after the first episode.
JustinGallimore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:55 am Reply with quote
3/5 episode was alright the main character went from weird to being maniac in no time it was quite funny to see.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:15 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Started off as uninteresting with the period at the beginning, and then went into average highschool girl territory. Although did start to connect as it was showing her stuck alone, and I was enjoying that she seemed to be a military otaku, reminds me of some favourite character in a GuP. But I actually had a tinge of interst when it implied Nobuna was made into a reincarnation thing, and being followed by him laughing manically over weapon of choice, Shio's face, and the music. I was sold, the feelings I got was a bit of Symphogear and BRS.

I am most likely in. Granted along with the other Nobuna show they have chosen some other random history figures, like Jack the Ripper whos fame mostly came from being the first serial killer and police having no experience.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:53 am Reply with quote
I hereby dub this show: "New Hellsing". That's basically the vibe and appeal I'm getting from it. And that is awesome. Gorgeous, stylized art design. Just the right balance of exaggeration and restraint to keep it from getting too busy. Beautiful use of color. Despite most of the show being very dark and shadowy it still has a ton of pop. And a pretty nice eye for visual composition. Some nice inventive stuff I thought. Fantastic music too. Super high energy rock and metal that really gives the action some oomph. Fantastic sound in general actually. It's not very often that a series captures the appropriate loudness for this kind of action. And the action is fantastic. Of course, its not super high budget stuff. But they know exactly how to use shortcuts, that is, with enough energy and visual flair, that you barely notice. (And there's not a hint of CG anywhere) Also, the plot is completely ridiculous in the best possible way. It even makes the whole name dropping thing work by being so ridiculous and unexpected about it. And actually, I'm feeling good about the rest of the show. I hope as it goes on we dwell more on the latter half of episode 1. But that said, the first half stuff was at worst pretty passable. Ogura is quite likable and I thought her friendship (or more?) with the other girl was decently handled. So yeah, this is definitely one to keep up with. Tons of fun.
*Flies out of the thread while shredding guitar solo plays*
Bugnin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:09 am Reply with quote
I don't care much for the premise, but the animation is very good looking and the main character is interesting. I'm encouraged by this show and looking forward to more.

The downside, rooting for Jack the Ripper strikes me as something I'd rather not do.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:15 am Reply with quote
Another Nobunaga. Seriously?!
Both in the same season. Kinda bad timing.
Probably gonna split the viewers because of that.
Or people are just gonna watch both.
The animation looks pretty interesting.
Story is another weird alternative.
Has some aspects of Kill la Kill.
Could be good, but I'm not really feeling it.
Think I'm gonna skip this and watch only Nobunaga the Fool.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:16 am Reply with quote
Lame and simple character design coupled with rather boring music.
Animation was decent though. For some reason though i really can't stand the MC's voice actor. It looks like some completely new person to the voice acting business got her part. So far can't say i'm enjoying it.

And yeah i don't like the idea of trying to portray Jack the Ripper in a positive light. The show even states that all the stuff he did in London had come to pass around the time he joined the organization. I wouldn't mind the random name drop but that's just a bit much.

Serial Killers for the win? Confused Nah not for me.
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the first episode. I'll be sticking around for now.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Huh, unlike a few people here I actually quite enjoyed the first episode of Nobunagun. I thought the first half set things up quite nicely and the second half had lots of cool action. There were a couple of noticeably good foley effects and the artistic smoke was kinda neat. I liked the humour, such as the text that described things (sadly was only around for a short time), and all the girls taking selfies and posing in front of the statues while the lead girl walked around in her own little world. Speaking of which, the lead girl was alright and got at least some characterisation before things went down. I liked the scene with her and the vendor, and she showed spunk too when she tried to help her classmate. Nobunaga himself was awesome with that speech of his at the end. Also, Jack The Ripper was actually an okay sort of dude who cared about civilians; wow.

Having a bunch of historical figures (well, their reincarnations) fighting against some sort of alien invasion sounds really stupid, and it is, but Nobunagun pulled it off about as best as could be hoped for. It certainly blows Nobunaga The Fool out of the water.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 12