• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Wizard Barristers Supernatural Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:00 pm Reply with quote
cool. I like it so far
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:07 pm Reply with quote
I hope this dosent bite them in the ass. I remember Mezzo tv also started off exciting and with great animation and well that stopped.

And all I hear about Donna is how awful it got.

I like Umeatsu(I'm sure the spelling is wrong) and the first episode of Wizards was nice, but I have a feeling that I'm gonna get burned.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:10 pm Reply with quote
After being meh about the Magical Warfare pick-up and utterly disinterested in the Super Sonica announcement, it's nice to be pretty happy about this, bon.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
And all I hear about Donna is how awful it got.

I like Umeatsu(I'm sure the spelling is wrong) and the first episode of Wizards was nice, but I have a feeling that I'm gonna get burned.

The first episode of Galilei Donna was probably the strongest of all, and it gave the impression that the rest of the series could potentially be great. The rest of the series had 3-4 very good episodes, but the whole experience was never spectacular. Galilei Donna is no masterpiece by any means, but it was not a bad anime.

The first episode of Wizard Barristers did not impressed me. By the way, despite strong art and animation, the character designs are kind of ugly.
victor viper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see Sentai jump on this. I'll surely buy it just as soon as it goes up for preorder even though I'll almost certainly be rolling the dice, as I don't have time to stream every new show in which I'm interested. Yeah, the Mezzo TV series was a mess and Kite Liberator was a disaster, but I'll give Umetsu the benefit of the doubt.
Chii85

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Well this show is a shoe win to get a dub.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:52 pm Reply with quote
So, magic, magic and marketing. Sentai has two tries left to come up with something interesting and one of them is bound to be Chu-Ren so, yeah, "underwhelming" doesn't even start to describe the situation...

So I'm guessing the short odds are on Witchcraft Works - making for magic, magic, magic, marketing and sequel? Where's my watch?

Fantasy is one thing, modern magic made moe makes me queasy.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
So, magic, magic and marketing. Sentai has two tries left to come up with something interesting and one of them is bound to be Chu-Ren so, yeah, "underwhelming" doesn't even start to describe the situation...

So I'm guessing the short odds are on Witchcraft Works - making for magic, magic, magic, marketing and sequel? Where's my watch?

Fantasy is one thing, modern magic made moe makes me queasy.

I do not know why you seem surprised by these measly picks ups from Sentai. Last Winter they also had abysmal pick ups. 2013 was in general a bad year for new licenses for Sentai, especially when comparing it to 2012.

I also wish for Sentai to acquire more appealing new licenses, but I will be set even if they only have 3-5 shows that interest me to buy by the end of the year.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, this anime is less bad than the other two they licensed this week. Progress!
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:14 am Reply with quote
Luci Christian as the voice of the main character.

I refuse to accept otherwise.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:14 am Reply with quote
More curvaceous character designs than the normal "underage-looking" moeblobs is a positive, but the designs are kind of ugly and the CG is pretty terrible.

If this show had been about the inspector or the head of the wizard law firm then I think it would have been better than what it is about: the ditzy, naive & idealistic young "wunderkind" 17-year old female lawyer. This is looking like Mai-Otome + Witch Hunter Robin, minus the charms of either Sad
bs3311

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I must be the only one surprised that this is animated by ARMs. Any echii scenes found yet?………………I kid Laughing

This does sound interesting, but ill wait too marathon it.

I do hope they license Hamatora. But from their clue, "Its been requested for quite a bit since the season started"= Chunibyo S2 IMO. Could they have something bigger than that? Confused

Animegomaniac wrote:
So, magic, magic and marketing. Sentai has two tries left to come up with something interesting and one of them is bound to be Chu-Ren so, yeah, "underwhelming" doesn't even start to describe the situation…

You make it sound like these shows announced in this week are going to be the only licenses for there season to stream. Before this week special they announced the license of Hozuki and Engaged to the Unidentified separately. So we don't know if these are their last pick ups for this season.

angelmcazares wrote:
Last Winter they also had abysmal pick ups. 2013 was in general a bad year for new licenses for Sentai, especially when comparing it to 2012.

I also wish for Sentai to acquire more appealing new licenses, but I will be set even if they only have 3-5 shows that interest me to buy by the end of the year.

I was about to say, 2012 Sentai pickups were amazing. 2013 pickups abysmal? Watamote, Sunday Without God, Fate/kaleid, Chunibyo, Shin Sekai Yori, AKB0048 S2, Gatchaman Crowds, Pet Girl Sakurasou, Space Brothers, the list goes on for how much great titles they picked up. In my opinion though which goes the same for you.

What titles do you want them to license? Cause saying, "acquire more appealing new licenses" can only take such short distance. I'm not insulting you or anything. Just want to know some different ideals of specific entertainment for Sentai to license.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:51 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
I was about to say, 2012 Sentai pickups were amazing. 2013 pickups abysmal? Watamote, Sunday Without God, Fate/kaleid, Chunibyo, Shin Sekai Yori, AKB0048 S2, Gatchaman Crowds, Pet Girl Sakurasou, Space Brothers, the list goes on for how much great titles they picked up. In my opinion though which goes the same for you.

I am assuming you are aware the Chuunibyou S1, Shin Sekai Yori, Pet Girl of Sakurasou and Space Brothers are pick ups from 2012.

Quote:
What titles do you want them to license? Cause saying, "acquire more appealing new licenses" can only take such short distance. I'm not insulting you or anything. Just want to know some different ideals of specific entertainment for Sentai to license.

I am not interested in any particular genre, but there are titles that most people can agree are good and worth owning. And personally, I have not seen yet any 2014 Sentai pick ups with that characteristics. Keep in mind that Winter seasons usually do not have many quality shows anyways.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:35 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
I do hope they license Hamatora. But from their clue, "Its been requested for quite a bit since the season started"= Chunibyo S2 IMO. Could they have something bigger than that? Confused
Well, there are three titles I can find that CR only has US+Canada rights to. Since that typically means sublicensing and Sentai's already has the first season and announced one of those, it's almost certain(and I'd bet they have the third, as well, since this doesn't match anybody else's pattern of behavior).
Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Animation is amazing. Its old school, but is fantastic way. It still has some cutie, but its serious show. Lawyer version of CSI but more exciting.

Magic users have it REALLY tough, with alot bias towards them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2