• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aksys Games Releases Kamaitachi no Yoru Visual Novel on iOS

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Damn, I literally got my Japanese import copy of the original Super Famicom game in the mail today. Talk about coincidence. Oh well, not too much of a loss. It's a nice collector's item, it'll help me learn Japanese, and just from the images I can tell that they changed the names. It'll be interesting to see the differences. More importantly, it's a Chunsoft Sound Novel finally released in English! Let's hope that 428 and the like soon follow!
deidara517

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:17 pm Reply with quote
dammit i have an android though is there anyway i can buy the app on for my phone?
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:19 pm Reply with quote
deidara517 wrote:
dammit i have an android though is there anyway i can buy the app on for my phone?

According to Aksys, there is an Android version coming soon.
https://twitter.com/Aksys_June/status/426873628236333057
deidara517

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:23 pm Reply with quote
MetalUpa1014 wrote:
deidara517 wrote:

According to Aksys, there is an Android version coming soon.
https://twitter.com/Aksys_June/status/426873628236333057

thank youuuu made my day metalup lol
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:00 am Reply with quote
YES! I saw a post on their wall about the "Banshee's Cry" and didn't realize it was KnY! Will definitely need to purchase!
AnimeGeek18

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:06 am Reply with quote
Umm, did anybody noticed the screenshots posted in the article? The characters' names seem to have changed for this version. I haven't tried playing it yet, so I don't know if anybody can change their names during gameplay or that these new names are stuck in the game for good.
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
AnimeGeek18 wrote:
Umm, did anybody noticed the screenshots posted in the article? The characters' names seem to have changed for this version. I haven't tried playing it yet, so I don't know if anybody can change their names during gameplay or that these new names are stuck in the game for good.

Yes the names are completely changed. You can change the names of the two protagonists if you want, but you can't change the rest.

From what I've "played" so far, the iOS version Americanizes the script. For example, instead of kamaitachi a Japanese yokai, they refer to the Banshee.

This is the most literal visual novel I've ever played and Aksys is likely targeting the eBook crowd. There's a table of contents and the text is organized into pages. I'm really curious to see how much of the script they've changed. I have my Japanese Super Famicom import copy, so it'll be interesting to see the differences.
Yause

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:22 pm Reply with quote
This version is significantly Americanized. Besides the name changes, it appears that the producers actually replaced the original photos with new ones shot from Whistler, BC.

It's an excellent localization, mind you. Jeremy Blaustein's script is snappy, and the new photos are perfect for setting authenticity. However, purists may be a little disappointed.
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Yause wrote:
This version is significantly Americanized. Besides the name changes, it appears that the producers actually replaced the original photos with new ones shot from Whistler, BC.

It's an excellent localization, mind you. Jeremy Blaustein's script is snappy, and the new photos are perfect for setting authenticity. However, purists may be a little disappointed.

Woah, Jeremy Blaustein did this? News to me. I love his translations/localizations.

I'll admit that I am a bit disappointed, but the fact that it's in English after 20 years pretty much overrides all of that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1