×
  • remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Has Not Recorded a Dub for Dragon Ball Z Kai's Buu Saga


Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Divineking



Joined: 03 Jul 2010
Posts: 1295
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Dear Funimation: Please stop contradicting yourselves you look like idiots. It's obvious their lying about not recording it so why not just stay quiet?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RyanSaotome



Joined: 29 Mar 2011
Posts: 4210
Location: Towson, Maryland
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Dear Funimation: Please stop contradicting yourselves you look like idiots. It's obvious their lying about not recording it so why not just stay quiet?


The fact they're so hasty to respond instead of saying "No Comment" tells me this might not be so obviously lying as it seems.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
suprememoonempress



Joined: 21 Oct 2013
Posts: 91
Location: Georgia
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Not going to dub one of your biggest money makers seriously? Dub it funimation
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Divineking



Joined: 03 Jul 2010
Posts: 1295
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:09 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Divineking wrote:
Dear Funimation: Please stop contradicting yourselves you look like idiots. It's obvious their lying about not recording it so why not just stay quiet?


The fact they're so hasty to respond instead of saying "No Comment" tells me this might not be so obviously lying as it seems.


The actors have already said otherwise concerning this situation. Between Funimation and the actors it's pretty obvious who's lying. If they were really honest about it they'd have denied it back with Sean Schemell and Kyle Hebert made those comments
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
doubleO7



Joined: 17 Jul 2009
Posts: 1070
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Dear Funimation: Please stop contradicting yourselves you look like idiots. It's obvious their lying about not recording it so why not just stay quiet?


In all likelihood they simply haven't licensed it yet. Which would make a dub unlikely at this point. Not that it really matters though, Kai's Buu Saga is a given for a quick release.


Last edited by doubleO7 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Hypeathon



Joined: 12 Aug 2010
Posts: 1176
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote
@ Divineking:

Is this one of those situations where you, a fan, is convinced a company is behaving one way and then when another fan tries to get you to look at the matter in a more practical manner, you call bulls*** and are sticking to your original conclusion because you say so?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SquadmemberRitsu



Joined: 26 Jan 2012
Posts: 1391
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Either way a dub is guaranteed to be done eventually
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kakashi12210



Joined: 25 Sep 2007
Posts: 19
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Also let's not forget that Madman Entertainment said "Dragon Ball Z Kai: Buu Saga should be released sometime next year. (2014) We're just waiting on dubs etc to be finished."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Divineking



Joined: 03 Jul 2010
Posts: 1295
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
@ Divineking:

Is this one of those situations where you, a fan, is convinced a company is behaving one way and then when another fan tries to get you to look at the matter in a more practical manner, you call bulls*** and are sticking to your original conclusion because you say so?


I admit my initial post may have come off as a bit smug but this does seem pretty ridiculous. I could maybe buy that Funimation was telling the truth if the comments from Kyle and Sean were recent but they made them almost a year ago. Suppose it's plausible that something happened between then and now but there's no real reason for the actors to lie about their involvement so it's more likely that Funimation is trying to keep it under wraps. Plus their PR has been kind of shoddy as of late

Not to mention there was that whole statement from Toei themselves about Buu arc Kai being produced for the international market first: animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-11-06/dragon-ball-z-kai-japanese-cast-records-new-episodes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RyanSaotome



Joined: 29 Mar 2011
Posts: 4210
Location: Towson, Maryland
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Hypeathon wrote:
@ Divineking:

Is this one of those situations where you, a fan, is convinced a company is behaving one way and then when another fan tries to get you to look at the matter in a more practical manner, you call bulls*** and are sticking to your original conclusion because you say so?


I admit my initial post may have come off as a bit smug but this does seem pretty ridiculous. I could maybe buy that Funimation was telling the truth if the comments from Kyle and Sean were recent but they made them almost a year ago. Suppose it's plausible that something happened between then and now but there's no real reason for the actors to lie about their involvement so it's more likely that Funimation is trying to keep it under wraps. Plus their PR has been kind of shoddy as of late

Not to mention there was that whole statement from Toei themselves about Buu arc Kai being produced for the international market first: animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-11-06/dragon-ball-z-kai-japanese-cast-records-new-episodes


Quote:
Mayumi Tanaka: Dragon Ball Z Kai to continue overseas, but not air in Japan


It also says here that it wasn't going to air in Japan, when it obviously is now. Things change.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Divineking



Joined: 03 Jul 2010
Posts: 1295
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:35 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Divineking wrote:
Hypeathon wrote:
@ Divineking:

Is this one of those situations where you, a fan, is convinced a company is behaving one way and then when another fan tries to get you to look at the matter in a more practical manner, you call bulls*** and are sticking to your original conclusion because you say so?


I admit my initial post may have come off as a bit smug but this does seem pretty ridiculous. I could maybe buy that Funimation was telling the truth if the comments from Kyle and Sean were recent but they made them almost a year ago. Suppose it's plausible that something happened between then and now but there's no real reason for the actors to lie about their involvement so it's more likely that Funimation is trying to keep it under wraps. Plus their PR has been kind of shoddy as of late

Not to mention there was that whole statement from Toei themselves about Buu arc Kai being produced for the international market first: animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-11-06/dragon-ball-z-kai-japanese-cast-records-new-episodes


Quote:
Mayumi Tanaka: Dragon Ball Z Kai to continue overseas, but not air in Japan


It also says here that it wasn't going to air in Japan, when it obviously is now. Things change.


You do have a bit of a point with that but I still have no reason to assume the actors were lying about their previous statements. Funi has pulled similar stunts before so until it's confirmed otherwise I have much more reason to assume their the ones lying in this case.

I also think its worth noting that the source of this information concering the denial is questionable.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
penguintruth



Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 8479
Location: Penguinopolis
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:39 pm Reply with quote
They probably just don't want to say anything about it, because fans will expect it immediately. There is little doubt that they've either started dubbing it or will.

Maybe it's Toei trying to keep them quiet.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jr240483



Joined: 24 Dec 2005
Posts: 4397
Location: New York City,New York,USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:41 pm Reply with quote
well there is a chance they could pull a sentai and release the buu arc on DVD with a sub only release first then do an english dub afterwards.

They've already given a sub only release to OniAi , so i wont be surprised if they do it again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rootsofjustice



Joined: 06 Nov 2009
Posts: 177
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Sean Schemmel, Kyle Hebert, Laura Bailey, Kara Edwards, even Chris Sabat a year ago confirmed English language recording work has been done for the DBZ Kai Buu arc. Three scenarios are possible from this information:

a) The actors listed above are full of shit.
b) FUNimation is full of shit.
c) A dub is being produced, but FUNimation is not involved.

I'm inclined to believe option b. FUNimation has lied out their ass about the Dragonball franchise before, both about the original Dragonball and Dragonball Z Kai. FUNimation's corporate side has lost a ton of credibility since Charlene Ingraham left the company and I have in the past called them on their lack of credibility several times. I've also had a chance to meet several of the actors in question, I don't think they'd lie about something like this. I'm calling bullshit on this.

That being said if option c is the case, EVERYBODY PANIC!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zeo1fan



Joined: 02 Sep 2011
Posts: 1016
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I'll perpetually fail to grasp why it is Funimation releases this story over and over again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group