• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Critic Calls Out The Wind Rises For Perpetuating Historical Revisionism

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:56 am Reply with quote
Doubt such a controversial film will win an Oscar. Looks like it will slightly increase Madoka Magica Rebellion's chances by process of elimination.
daichi383

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:59 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised this didn't come up sooner to be honest. I know obviously people would have problems like this and they are indeed valid. It was an interesting article anyway.

Its also interesting that they nominated it for best foreign language film rather than for best animated film. It seems to be a bigger honour since its competition will be live action of course so it would be nice to see Miyazaki honoured with this award for his last film. Nice that they acknowledge animated movies can go up against live action.
pickledshoe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:02 pm Reply with quote
This is the first piece of sour news I have read about the movie.
I can't wait to see it for myself.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Movie isnt totally honest in regards to history, gee its not like I've ever seen that before ho no.

That second world war, nobody came out the other side of that smelling of roses.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:09 pm Reply with quote
One thing that always bothered me watching the trailers for The Wind Rises (I haven't seen it yet) especially after I read some of Jiro Horikoshi's english bios online

Is Naoko based on a real person? Like, did the real Jiro Horikoshi have an important lady in his life or was she and their romance invented for the movie?

Again, I haven't seen it and I'm sure it's obvious if I just read a little more history.

But since we're talking about Historical Revisionism, it seems like an important start if it paints Horikoshi in a more sympathetic light (and from what I hear, their romance takes up a good chunk of the film)
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:11 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
Movie isnt totally honest in regards to history, gee its not like I've ever seen that before ho no.

That second world war, nobody came out the other side of that smelling of roses.

Well, I think history shows that the Axis powers were evil, and the Allies while not saints, did what they had to do, to win a total global war.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Would be interesting to see anyone do a film that didn't "pussyfoot" around. Seems like no matter what one does the truth remains.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I too am surprised somewhat that this has not been brought up before now. Too much else going on in the world perhaps?

I do not know what to say about the people in Japan not being able to own up to their own history. However, as far as I know they are not the only and no where near the first people to do so.

Throwing stones , I suspect, is not a good idea in this particular situation. Seems I recall some good advice on that subject.

I am glad that Miyazaki did tackle this. "Pussyfooting" is understandable given the circumstances. He did what he believed he could go to get people to talk and maybe some of them will look at the history for themselves out of curiosity.

Mark Gosdin
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:14 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Doubt such a controversial film will win an Oscar. Looks like it will slightly increase Madoka Magica Rebellion's chances by process of elimination.

Free Birds has more chance of winning than Madoka.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Really can't recommend these two essays on the film enough, which debate the point in question:

Devin Faraci on the film's moral crisis

Film Crit Hulk on cinematic moralism

Said it before but I think both of those essays should be printed together in a booklet that comes with the film.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:39 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

Free Birds has more chance of winning than Madoka.

Doesn't matter. You always root for your team.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:44 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

You keep saying this but in this case it's like saying "I'm rooting for the Denver Broncos to win the World Series".
BonnKansan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

You keep saying this but in this case it's like saying "I'm rooting for the Denver Broncos to win the World Series".

Not that that wouldn't be awesome in its own way...
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Lots of interesting articles about this movie. Without having actually seen it, it's hard to really take a stance, but it is good to see some debate out there at any rate.

I took a modern Japanese history class in university, and I remember when we got to WWII and all the complicated issues surrounding Japan's role pre-Hiroshima. Given Miyazaki's own personal views, it is sort of a shame that he didn't address things more head-on, though it has been historically dangerous to do that (IIRC, a Japanese reporter who tried to challenge it ended up committing suicide due to the backlash, though I don't remember enough details to verify).

Also, a little OT, but the whole "life with or without the Pyramids" argument doesn't entirely work, at least not in a modern context, since there is a fair amount of evidence suggesting that the Pyramids were not built by slaves.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Really can't recommend these two essays on the film enough, which debate the point in question:

Devin Faraci on the film's moral crisis

Film Crit Hulk on cinematic moralism

Said it before but I think both of those essays should be printed together in a booklet that comes with the film.

Pretty damn interesting. I wonder what you take on the whole thing is, Zac?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9