• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek to Release Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro Film on BD/DVD

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Durga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Best news I've heard all day! I was hoping Cagliostro would eventually get a US blu-ray release, and I got my wish!
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Sweet. I didn't think Discotek did many blu-rays, so this is a pleasant surprise. Now if only Disney would finally release Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke on blu-ray.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Since I don't believe Ghibli has released a remastered print for Blu-ray, this will probably use an older master (and same used for previous DVD releases most likely), like what happened with Sentai's release of Grave of the Fireflies.

Granted Grave didn't look too bad, but it wasn't as good as the rest of the Ghibli library released by Disney.

shamisen the great wrote:
Sweet. I didn't think Discotek did many blu-rays,

No Venus Wars on Blu-ray make Mr Adventure something something something...
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm all for this - very interested in a Cagliostro blu-ray. I'm also still waiting for news on the Fatal Fury Movie blu-ray. It seems Discotek is a bit slow with blu-rays, but that's understandable, given that they seem to be a smaller company. And when it comes to fun titles like these, I've got patience. Hopefully the picture quality will look nice.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Discotek always ANNOUNCES the great Holy Grails of vintage anime, and then we lose track waiting to see if they ever delivered on them. Sad
(Just checking, we still don't have that uncut dual-language Samurai Pizza Cats yet, do we?)

And still think the best trailer ever done for Cagliostro was the one that played up its...similarities to James Bond:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9TXrv1_uPk
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Time to ditch my old Manga Entertainment DVD...
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:

Go crazy?
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:14 pm Reply with quote
AsherFischell wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:

Go crazy?

DON'T MIND IF I DO! Anime dazed
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I was convinced that Disney were the ones who were going to release Castle of Cagliostro on BD, but I am happy that somebody is releasing it.

Mr Adventure wrote:
Since I don't believe Ghibli has released a remastered print for Blu-ray, this will probably use an older master (and same used for previous DVD releases most likely), like what happened with Sentai's release of Grave of the Fireflies.

Granted Grave didn't look too bad, but it wasn't as good as the rest of the Ghibli library released by Disney.

Really? I have the Sentai BD release of Grave of the Fireflies, and it looks glorious. To me it looks as good as my Japanese BD of Only Yesterday.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Oh man this is pretty cool news! Cagliostro on Blu-Ray and with the full intro again, that sounds like a good pickup to me. Very Happy Hooray for Discotek!

EricJ2 wrote:
Discotek always ANNOUNCES the great Holy Grails of vintage anime, and then we lose track waiting to see if they ever delivered on them. Sad
(Just checking, we still don't have that uncut dual-language Samurai Pizza Cats yet, do we?)

LOL dude, they released both the Japanese and English DVDs of Samurai Pizza Cats almost a year ago! (Go snag some copies before it's too late!)
yamiangie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:

shamisen the great wrote:
Sweet. I didn't think Discotek did many blu-rays,

Um TMS did this movie. It's not owned by Gihibli and there has to be a blu ray I don't think they'd do one if there wasn't one in Japan already. Also they said they had a Lupin blu ray announcement coming when they announced the last Lupin title they had.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:31 pm Reply with quote
yamiangie wrote:
Um TMS did this movie. It's not owned by Gihibli and there has to be a blu ray I don't think they'd do one if there wasn't one in Japan already.

Really? Well that's good. Crisis averted.
Rainrix

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Still can't see the advantage of bluray over dvd, to me it's still the same movie sooo....glad to see it's getting a dvd rerelease
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Rainrix wrote:
Still can't see the advantage of bluray over dvd, to me it's still the same movie sooo....g

Picture quality. Sound Quality.

'The Same Movie' is quite subjective. Some of us want the movie to look as close to the actual film print as possible. Not having its colors washed out and crushed by image compression necessities on DVD.
suprememoonempress

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:56 pm Reply with quote
They've been releasing a ton of classics lately and this one will probably be my favorite
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3