• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Holy crap - Gatchaman is REALLY good!

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desslok

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:38 pm Reply with quote
A little bit ago, I was picking up the newest Yamato 2199 disc from TRSI, and was just a couple of bucks shy of free shipping. I could either pony up 6 to get my package shipped or I could find a couple of 2 buck DVDs to round out the package.

Digging through the closeout pile, I found volume 1 of the ADV Gatchaman. Being a long term fan, i've of course heard the name (and Battle of the Planets), but it never ran in my area back in the seventies, so I never got a chance to see it.

So what the hell - 3 bucks? I might as take a chance. Being an vintage show, I expected that the show would be a little rough and primitive, like Speed Racer or Astroboy was. Yeah, it was a touch clunky - but wow, it was a much stronger story than I was anticipating! No wonder that the show is one of the Early Anime Gods, the gateway drug that got us where we are today.

Mind you, I'm only 6 episodes into the show. Does it stand up 30 or so episodes into the series? No idea. But now, pretty promising start.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I watched Battle of the Planets when I was a kid, never knew till years later that it was a Japanese anime, like Speed Racer.

I grew up on Ultraman, Godzilla, and Japanese space opera's.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1