• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Attack on Titan Anime's Dubbed Toonami Trailer Posted

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:35 am Reply with quote
I might give the first episode a try. The narration sure feels a bit different though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:38 am Reply with quote
Didn't use any noticeable techno/electronica music like in most other promos. The only other times that happened was with the promos for Akira and Eva 1.11 and 2.22.

So yeah, this show is THAT big. Can't wait too. I've been holding off on watching this show until the hype dies down (what a smart idea that turned out to be). But honestly for me, this is as good of a way as any to get into the show.
johnndergrosse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:03 am Reply with quote
They should have gotten a female that can do a masculine voice to be Armin. This English voice for Armin has no charm.
sim0n2170

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:04 am Reply with quote
Nice promo
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:11 am Reply with quote
"...and he's about to find out..."

What is this? A Rob Schneider comedy?
flackenstien

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:24 am Reply with quote
Who cut the cheese?
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:17 am Reply with quote
johnndergrosse wrote:
They should have gotten a female that can do a masculine voice to be Armin. This English voice for Armin has no charm.

No. They made the right call by placing a man as a post-pubescent male character. It was the only right call that this dub appears to have made.

The melodrama was really cranked up to 11 on this one. So maybe the dub made two right calls as it features Bryce Papenbrook, the cheesiest prominent leading man that anime has, in the lead role on this cheese fest.
johnndergrosse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:10 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
johnndergrosse wrote:

No. They made the right call by placing a man as a post-pubescent male character. It was the only right call that this dub appears to have made.

Armin's feminity is used as a plot point later in the story when spoiler[he is used as a decoy hostage in-place of Historia.] He's supposed to be feminine.
Levonr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:41 am Reply with quote
johnndergrosse wrote:
Echo_City wrote:
johnndergrosse wrote:

Armin's feminity is used as a plot point later in the story when spoiler[he is used as a decoy hostage in-place of Historia.] He's supposed to be feminine.

Josh Grelle has convincingly played femininity, Princess Jellyfish. He always voices feminine boys.
Apparently he was even in the process of a sex change but it didn't work out(money or just changed his mind).
Keyl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:19 am Reply with quote
johnndergrosse wrote:
Echo_City wrote:
johnndergrosse wrote:

Princess Jellyfish tells me they made the right choice.

Also if you gonna use a example for Armin's voice to be more feminine, spoiler[don't use one where he doesn't talk][/spoiler]
hojo 360

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:33 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
johnndergrosse wrote:

The melodrama was really cranked up to 11 on this one. So maybe the dub made two right calls as it features Bryce Papenbrook, the cheesiest prominent leading man that anime has, in the lead role on this cheese fest.
Papenbrook, the cheesiest prominent leading man}} How is he cheesy at all? so far every role he has done has been just fine and hearing him as Eren Yeager fits the character very well. But i'm sure for some no voice will ever work Razz that aside i love people bashing Josh GRELLE he has has a lot of range he can go deep for characters like Nobuchika Ginoza in Psycho-Pass or go very high pitched and kid like for characters like Ren Kannagi in Kaze no Stigma so much so that sometimes it's hard to tell it's him so at least funi used someone with range.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Levon_r wrote:
johnndergrosse wrote:
Echo_City wrote:
johnndergrosse wrote:

Josh Grelle has convincingly played femininity, Princess Jellyfish. He always voices feminine boys.
Apparently he was even in the process of a sex change but it didn't work out(money or just changed his mind).

Woah, woah, really?? I had no idea about the sex change!

But yeah, I don't agree with his voice having no charm. I love Josh Grelle's voice and I think it's perfect for Armin. Plus who says that Armin didn't change his voice a little when spoiler[ pretending to be Historia? ] You gotta think outside the box sometimes.

Last edited by KENZICHI on Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:15 am; edited 2 times in total
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:04 pm Reply with quote
The dub doesn't sound too great. Eren sounds way too deep and "mature". In the Japanese there isn't a sense of manliness in his voice. Determination, sure and even action but not badassness or anything. It sounds pretty off if you ask me. He dosen't sound like a angsty teen at all, which kind of misses the point. He's an angry teen out to prove something.

Then again, this is just what a minute clip? Not much to go on.

Then again I hate Funimation's dubs so I'm sure I'll dislike this dub either way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Nemui_Nezumi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:01 pm Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
Levon_r wrote:
johnndergrosse wrote:
Echo_City wrote:
johnndergrosse wrote:

Woah, woah, really?? I had no idea about the sex change!

But yeah, I don't agree with his voice having no charm. I love Josh Grelle's voice and I think it's perfect for Armin. spoiler[Plus who says that Armin didn't change his voice a little when pretending to be Historia?] You gotta think outside the box sometimes.

what about, you know, using a bit the spoiler tag?

please...?
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:28 pm Reply with quote
hojo 360 wrote:
Echo_City wrote:
johnndergrosse wrote:

Papenbrook, the cheesiest prominent leading man}} How is he cheesy at all?

He treats every role like a stage play. Instead of being the character he's just a guy speaking the lines given that character. While that is what he is literally doing a solid dub actor is supposed to create the illusion that he is doing more than that.

This comes to a head whenever he is supposed to be conversing with another character as each and every single time he is speaking in the conversation he does it in a way that sounds like a stage actor giving a monologue to the audience instead of carrying on an actual conversation in the show. His emotion never sounds natural, he over-emotes and his emotion always feels line specific, which is awkward in conversations and extended lines.

Except for roles like narrators, the characters in the show shouldn't sound as though they're speaking directly to me, the viewer, with only the thin pretext of speaking to other characters. The difference between Funimation and ADV veterans and Bang/Zoom natives in today's Bang/Zoom dubs is astounding.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2