• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sword Art Online #1 Tops U.S. Weekly BookScan Sci-Fi List

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueBitterCoffee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Well if this isn't an indication that Light novels can do well in America I don't know what is. also now I hope we can get those Durarara light novels too. Very Happy
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:32 pm Reply with quote
This is nice to see, very awesome to see a light novel making it all the way to the top. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:07 pm Reply with quote
BlueBitterCoffee wrote:
Well if this isn't an indication that Light novels can do well in America I don't know what is. also now I hope we can get those Durarara light novels too. Very Happy

I think it's more due to the anime's popularity, in which case...yeah Durarara would do REALLY well here! I can't wait to see THAT get licensed.
midori kou

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Really good news! I hope SAO does well and opens more opportunities for more light novels to be imported. (I still want the remaining volumes of Full Metal Panic to be translated. ;__;)
terminus24

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:56 pm Reply with quote
midori kou wrote:
Really good news! I hope SAO does well and opens more opportunities for more light novels to be imported. (I still want the remaining volumes of Full Metal Panic to be translated. ;__;)

I second this.

Anyways, I'm hoping this negates some of the fears that LN's won't do well in America. I just recently started reading LNs when I picked up all of the released volumes of FMP at the end of last year, and since then I've really gotten into Haruhi and even tracked down the first volume of Gosick (the second one is ridiculously expensive), and now, SAO. And I'm finding that I'm enjoying the LNs more than the anime/manga adaptations.

With this, and probably at least Index later this year, I don't see why we wouldn't get more LNs.
Student no.0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
BlueBitterCoffee wrote:

I think it's more due to the anime's popularity, in which case...yeah Durarara would do REALLY well here! I can't wait to see THAT get licensed.

At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if this happened. Still hoping for Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria, Black Bullet, Kagerou Days, and Gekkou. If this performance does well maybe Seven Seas might even release the Toradora! LN.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Good to see it do well in book stores, i didn't Barnes & Noble is still alive. Couple of them closed down in my area.

Quote:
The BookScan rankings represent sales at Barnes & Noble and other book chains, independent bookshops, and online purchases — but not sales at comic book stores, Amazon, Walmart.com, and some other venues.

kind of pointless ranking if you don't include amazon, walmart.com sales especially for anime, video games, manga and LN which have a huge % sale in amazon.com.
Spark_

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Still holding out hope for DRRR (this is a pretty likely candidate, I hope. Yen often does both manga and novels for a property, and they already have the manga..... *crosses fingers*) and Utsuro no Hako because i've heard fantastic things about it but can't stand the baka-tsuki translation.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Still hoping for Kingdom Hearts too, but I'm glad a light novel is doing well here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1