• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AKB48 Idols Anna Iriyama, Rina Kawaei Released from Hospital

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Laceration... That really is a scary thought, to think that she was cut in the head by this man with a saw. I can't imagine how painful that might be... And a right thumb... That sounds like it could slice it clean off if it hits right. Kudos to the man who helped save their lives, too.

Glad to know they're recovering.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:00 am Reply with quote
It's time to ban the handshaking events entirely, security or not these poor idols are scarred for life not only are they going to be scared of "stuff" on the fans' paws, but now they have to be worried about fans and non-fan alike who can be described as total yanderes and yangires wanting to off them for every reason under the sun including no reason at all. They deserve better than this.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:00 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
It's time to ban the handshaking events entirely

I always thought that Japan has a culture where they DON'T shake hands with someone.
electricpatriot

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:26 am Reply with quote
What happened was awful. I hope those girls are able to recover. God bless the dude that stepped in to protect. The guy that pulled that crap, though, lock him up!
iamadooddood

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:05 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
It's time to ban the handshaking events entirely, security or not these poor idols are scarred for life not only are they going to be scared of "stuff" on the fans' paws, but now they have to be worried about fans and non-fan alike who can be described as total yanderes and yangires wanting to off them for every reason under the sun including no reason at all. They deserve better than this.

I don't think they will. After all, much of AKB48's appeal comes from these handshake events (you get to meet them regularly, etc). This also applies to a lot of other idols in Japan.

revolutionotaku wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:
It's time to ban the handshaking events entirely

I always thought that Japan has a culture where they DON'T shake hands with someone.

Handshake events are a chance for fans to get into physical (skin) contact with their idols, and any sort of physical contact with someone else implies closeness to that person. And for obvious reasons, this is very important to idol fans.

As a result of this closeness, idols make for a number of exceptions in Japanese culture, such as idols usually being referred to by their first name instead of their last name as is the standard in Japan.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:07 am Reply with quote
Glad to see they're OK, I think they should put future concerts and events on hold for a bit to give these girls time to recover.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1