• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli's Tale of the Princess Kaguya Gets English Teaser Trailer

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Are they trying to promote this as a horror movie?

Still looking forward to it! They probably won't show it in my area, though.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely beautiful, I can't wait.

I've heard from people who've actually seen it that the film is actually pretty dark, similar to the original folktale in that sense. So I guess it makes sense to market it as such. I'm all for some more dark Ghibli films honestly. I just wish the teaser had given us a preview of some of the dialogue. Regardless, I'm sure the dub will be very well done as is the norm with Ghibli films. The only dub I've ever truly disliked was Ponyo's. And even that had some good talent buried beneath all of the shameless pop drone advertising that went nowhere.
omiya

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I saw Kaguya Hime Monogatari on opening day in Japan last November.

It's a different kind of movie to other Ghibli anime, very beautiful, but not a "fun" or up-beat story.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Like Grave of the Fireflies then, right? Makes sense considering the director. I've always appreciated his realistic and human approach to even the more fantastical of stories.

I welcome different and innovation in the studio. It's movies like this that make being a fan for so many years worth it. It looks like a refreshing change of pace from so many other modern animated films. It's a shame it under performed at the Japanese box-office and apparently couldn't recoup it's insane production costs.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:32 am Reply with quote
For the record, it is not a grim and gritty dark film of dark, darky darkness. Please don't go in expecting that. It's nothing like "Grave of the Fireflies" either. Or "My Neighbors the Yamadas," for that matter. It's definitely a Takahata film, but he doesn't make the same movie twice.

I'm glad he was able to make it, I'm glad I was able to see it, and I can't wait for the BD to come out. Takahata, as an artist, has never failed me. I just wish audiences were more receptive to his work.
Jex2193

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:15 pm Reply with quote
This actually looks pretty cool. Since it's coming just before, I might go see this on my birthday if it's going to be showing nearby Very Happy
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I know it won't be THAT bad. Nothing will ever be as depressing as Grave of the Fireflies. But I've heard from a lot of people that it also isn't exactly the most uplifting movie either.

Either way, I totally agree on Takahata. It sucks that he's constantly ignored in favor of Miyazaki, even if he is probably the most innovative guy in the anime industry. He never seems to play it safe, for better or for worse. This may not have grossed enough to outweigh its production costs, but I'm just glad it got made in the first place and that his vision was sought through all they way till the end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1