Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Funimation Challenges Other US Distributors To Participate in Ice Bucket Challenge


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
LaughingElbow



Joined: 19 Apr 2014
Posts: 237
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:02 pm Reply with quote
As if we didn't have enough of these. What about heart disease?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gravediggernalk
Subscriber



Joined: 13 Oct 2013
Posts: 245
Location: Alabama
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm not quite sure what I just watched, but it was a good thing. I hope one of those companies challenged ends up challenging AnimEigo, watching what Woodhead would come up with sounds pretty nice to me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
walw6pK4Alo



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 9321
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:31 pm Reply with quote
It's for a great cause and all, but I hope this stuff stops once the weather starts threatening hypothermia, and people can go back to just donating regularly. Or start doing stuff like a walking a on hot coals challenge.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
penguintruth



Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 8180
Location: Penguinopolis
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Breaking: Funimation jumps up and down, screams at everyone, "Oooh ooh! Look at us! Look at us! Look! Look!"

Just donate the money you trendy tryhards.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SpacemanHardy



Joined: 03 Jan 2012
Posts: 2476
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:46 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Breaking: Funimation jumps up and down, screams at everyone, "Oooh ooh! Look at us! Look at us! Look! Look!"

Just donate the money you trendy tryhards.


THIS JUST IN: Penguintruth is a fun-hating stick-in-the-mud. Razz

Let 'em have their fun. Sure, it's a silly trend, but it's for a really good cause, and there are worse things that dumping a bucket of water over your head on a hot summer day. I did it myself, and I found it rather enjoyable, to be honest.

Heck, I challenge YOU to take the challenge, Pengu! That is, of course, you're less of a penguin and more of a chicken. Cool

*cluck cluck cluck*
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
penguintruth



Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 8180
Location: Penguinopolis
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:01 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Breaking: Funimation jumps up and down, screams at everyone, "Oooh ooh! Look at us! Look at us! Look! Look!"

Just donate the money you trendy tryhards.


THIS JUST IN: Penguintruth is a fun-hating stick-in-the-mud. Razz

Let 'em have their fun. Sure, it's a silly trend, but it's for a really good cause, and there are worse things that dumping a bucket of water over your head on a hot summer day. I did it myself, and I found it rather enjoyable, to be honest.

Heck, I challenge YOU to take the challenge, Pengu! That is, of course, you're less of a penguin and more of a chicken. Cool

*cluck cluck cluck*


Psh. I already took it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
getchman
Subscriber



Joined: 07 Apr 2012
Posts: 8962
Location: Bedford, NH
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:15 pm Reply with quote
not at all what I imagined what you'd sound like
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
SpacemanHardy



Joined: 03 Jan 2012
Posts: 2476
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:20 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:


Well alright then. Laughing

Still, as long as it's raising awareness and money for a good cause, I don't really see the harm in it.

True, it'll probably die out pretty soon until next summer, but the fact that this silly little fad has somehow been able to raise $100 million dollars in funds for ALS research is nothing to sneeze at.

Plus I will gladly pay MORE money if it gives me the satisfaction of knowing that Henry Goto from Aniplex of America will get a bucket of ice cold water dumped over his head. Twisted Evil
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 8264
Location: IL
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:21 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Sure, it's a silly trend, but it's for a really good cause, and there are worse things that dumping a bucket of water over your head on a hot summer day.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the purpose of the ice bucket challenge is to lessen the donation that would be made? Like a sort of "If you don't want to donate to _______ then get a bunch of ice cold water poured on you instead" kind of thing?

I think donating to ALS research or another worthy cause would be much better than this sort of determent that is just there to build PR if that is in fact the case.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SpacemanHardy



Joined: 03 Jan 2012
Posts: 2476
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Sure, it's a silly trend, but it's for a really good cause, and there are worse things that dumping a bucket of water over your head on a hot summer day.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the purpose of the ice bucket challenge is to lessen the donation that would be made? Like a sort of "If you don't want to donate to _______ then get a bunch of ice cold water poured on you instead" kind of thing?

I think donating to ALS research or another worthy cause would be much better than this sort of determent that is just there to build PR if that is in fact the case.


Actually no. You're still expected to donate at least a little bit of money even if you do the challenge. To be honest, the rules are very malleable at best.

When I did it, I only donated 10 bucks, because that's really all I could afford. But every little bit helps. The challenge is really just there to raise awareness if nothing else.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Jayhosh



Joined: 24 May 2013
Posts: 972
Location: Millmont, Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:45 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
not at all what I imagined what you'd sound like


I've always just expected he'd sound like an extremely pessimistic and cynical kind of guy. But then again I suppose I don't really know what someone like that is supposed to sound like. But I'm not fond of people who always sh*t a brick over things that don't affect them and complain about everything like they have to do it to survive, or like it's a hobby.

My reaction to this was: Wow! I'm glad that they actually acknowledged the actual purpose of the challenge and embedded a link in the video. I think a lot of people forget to do that.

And yes, you could say that this challenge serves to prevent you from having to donate money, but it actually cleverly does the opposite for the most part. What it does is it raises awareness for a disease that otherwise a lot of people would be completely oblivious to. So at the very least it does that. And yeah, there are other very serious diseases out there. And they deserve equal recognition too. But let's not be so quick to dismiss any disease at all. If we were to do these kind of things for every one of them it would be endless! The solution? Donate to whatever you can if possible. I personally have not been nominated for the ice bucket challenge, but that's just because I don't have any friends. Crying or Very sad Nonetheless, I still donated 50 bucks towards ALS. So just a little bit counts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
momopeach



Joined: 04 Jul 2012
Posts: 29
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:08 pm Reply with quote
These videos make me so happy to see. Glad to see more people raising awareness and money.

I first was exposed to the disease by the drama Hours of My Life. Such a horrid disease. I think I'd rather have cancer than ALS.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KidOblivion



Joined: 18 Feb 2014
Posts: 179
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:29 pm Reply with quote
There "friends" at Sentai Filmworks? I thought they hated each other O.o

Knowing the guys at Sentai and Viz, they'll do it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mdo7



Joined: 23 May 2007
Posts: 5995
Location: Cypress, Texas, USA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Yeah nice to know Funimation take ALS seriously. Kudo to them. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kadmos1



Joined: 08 May 2014
Posts: 13166
Location: In Phoenix but has an 85308 ZIP
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:10 pm Reply with quote
KidOblivion wrote:
There "friends" at Sentai Filmworks? I thought they hated each other O.o

Knowing the guys at Sentai and Viz, they'll do it.


Many Texas VA work on titles for both companies. Vic Mignogna said that in the ANNCast episode called "Down with the Vic-ness", he was the 1st ADV VA to work at Funimation (Broly being the 1st of many Funi titles for him).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group