• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Studio Ghibli Documentary's Trailer English-Subtitled

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adam_omega

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:56 am Reply with quote
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:35 am Reply with quote
Sigh, no Blu-Ray. And life-action material looks so much better in 1080p. Guess I'll have to resort to imports. (Heh, since the US version is an import, too, it doesn't really matter anyway. The Japanese version has English subtitles as well, but is a bit more expensive.)
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:04 am Reply with quote
I'm not really a huge snob when it comes to HD so I'm fine with DVD only. It's just a placid documentary. I only make it a point to go for Blu-ray if its animated or has a lot of special effects/CG.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:23 am Reply with quote
It is just a documentary, I don't think resolution is that important.
ly000001

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Blackiris_ wrote:
Sigh, no Blu-Ray. And life-action material looks so much better in 1080p. Guess I'll have to resort to imports. (Heh, since the US version is an import, too, it doesn't really matter anyway. The Japanese version has English subtitles as well, but is a bit more expensive.)

FWIW, I didn't see anything on the Region 2 DVD that made me think "Damn, I wish I had gotten this on Blu-ray instead!"
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:51 am Reply with quote
It's indeed a documentary, but I think the visuals are just as important as the content. I usually don't mind DVDs (quality ones, that is), but when I watched the documentary, it really had lots of beautiful scenery shots I want to enjoy in full detail.

So I don't really care if its a documentary or an action film – I want to enjoy the works I really like in the best quality available (at least if I can see the difference).

And it's kinda sad that so many works still only get a DVD release overseas. Silver Spoon, for example, or the UK version of Usagi Drop. :/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1