• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Marvel Streams Toei's Spider-Man Tokusatsu Episodes Again

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:29 pm Reply with quote
All right, it's back (one user is correct), and at least I can finish watching it. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:38 pm Reply with quote
CHANGE LEOPARDON!
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:29 pm Reply with quote
This would be so awesome to watch under something Wink
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully this is going to be a complete streaming of the show & not just two episodes as a promo for the comic. I had always planned on watching the show when Marvel originally streamed it, but never got around to doing so. Really, though, I would love if Marvel was to give this show a DVD release this time around; even if only as a limited release, I'd certainly buy a set.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Considering how well those 60s Batman sets are selling, I'm surprised it hasn't happened already. I wouldn't give Toei Spidey a mas-release, either, but maybe make it an Amazon exclusive or something.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:26 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Considering how well those 60s Batman sets are selling, I'm surprised it hasn't happened already. I wouldn't give Toei Spidey a mas-release, either, but maybe make it an Amazon exclusive or something.

Not to mention Shout Factory has been doing well with their Ultra Series sets and the upcoming Zyuranger set, so there's certainly a market for tokusatsu even before factoring in that it's a Spider-Man toku.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:49 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

I won't say that it would never happen but it's very unlikely.

There's a huge difference between the 1960s Batman TV series and this Spider-Man TV series...

The 1960s Batman series actually resembles the original source material/comic books. If anything, it's very much in the tone of the 1940s to early 1960s comics. (Well, it's not quite as goofy as the majority of 1950s Batman comics -- the 'sci fi' era/bug-man wasteland of the character. There weren't a lot of great crime/drama comics of the character in the 1950s.) The 1960s Batman TV series is only alien to people whose knowledge of Batman is post-1977 otherwise it's faithful to the comics.

The main differences between Batman in the 1960s and Batman today are that today's Batman is a massive dick most of the time and is actually feared by the public at large. The 1960s Batman was practically an honorary policeman and respected by the public in a good way! The turnaround for the attitude in Batman comics came after the 1960s live-action series ended. That was approximately 1969/1970. After the late 1960s, Batman became a darker character but not really ultra-dark until after the 1986 Dark Knight mini-series.

The 1970s Japanese Spider-Man TV series is Spider-Man in name and costume only. This would just confuse and annoy the hell out of a lot of people. I doubt more than a few hundred people would buy the series.

I wonder about how many people in the US would actually buy this series. I wouldn't think it would be more than a few hundred once the word gets out about how utterly goofy and different from the comics this show is. It might appeal to people like sentai ranger series but it won't be very popular with most comic book fans or people who are only familiar with Spider-Man through the American live-action series and the multiple animated series the character has had.

The comic book crowd has by-and-large rejected anime and manga versions of superheroes. (Ironically, most of the 'mainline'/American-produced animated TV series of these characters are produced by Korean and Japanese production companies that make anime!) There was a large number of people who never gave the anime versions of the X-Men, Iron Man, Wolverine, and Blade a chance. (Not that those shows were very good from what I've heard -- I've only seen the X-Men anime series myself. It was okay... The fact that those anime series were broadcast on a low viewer-volume network like G4 years ago did not help their popularity, either.)

Disney, which owns Marvel, is reluctant as it is to release the older animated series and live-action shows on home video in the US. The 1960s Spider-Man animated series was released years ago on DVD but is long out-of-print. That's about the only official Disney/Buena Vista home video release of a Marvel animated series that I'm aware of. The later Spider-Man animated series, with the exception of the Sony-produced "Spectacular Spider-Man," have never been released in their entirety let alone box sets to my knowledge. The 1970s American live-action Spider-Man TV series has never seen more than a few episodes released on VHS and laserdisc. With the exception of a few animated series and probably the live-action Hulk TV series (produced by Universal), Disney owns most of the Marvel TV series. Again, they don't seem to be interested in re-releasing any of that stuff on home video when they don't have a conflict with rights and who owns what movie or TV show.
chao8971

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:09 am Reply with quote
Episode 7 the band episode gives me some flashbacks to "The Murder Music" episode from Gatchaman. Hope they put the rest of Toku Spider-man up. I remember when they put those episodes up back in 2009 I just thought it was cool and never gave it a second thought, but in the last 3 years I've become a big fan of Tokusatsu so I'm praying they will put the whole thing up again.
itachi06103570

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:17 am Reply with quote
Man I remember watching this and soooooooooo regret not watching the rest so this is a welcome surprise and I hope they put up the rest BTW wasn't this a 52 episode show or along the lines of 47 or 49 I don't remember but anyway I think everyone already knew this but it was the first mecha to be used and influenced what super sentai is today and I owe a great debt to spider man getting me into tokusatsu as a whole
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:50 am Reply with quote
Was this series meant to be a comedy in the style of the 1960s Batman or was it more serious?
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:01 am Reply with quote
After I finished rewatching the hilarious "Spiderman Boogie" episode yesterday, the "related videos" tab offered me many other episodes like 17 (the one where a wrestler gets turned into a Machine Bem who looks an awful lot like the Thing) and 33. It seems all episodes are still hosted at Marvel's website, although the links to watch them aren't readily available.
Drac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Was this series meant to be a comedy in the style of the 1960s Batman or was it more serious?

It was meant for children if that's what you're asking.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

That's just what tokusatsu of the time was like. Cheesy, corny, lots of puns and silly action. Do you remember what Power Rangers was like when it started? That was taken from Zyuranger, only 20 years after Supaidaman (the generally accepted title of the tokusatsu, to differentiate it from anything else without having to type extra every time). And then you look at things like Go-Busters, which was as different from Zyuranger as Zyuranger was from Supaidaman. It's just an evolution of what the audience wants and will accept.

Heck, I'm sure people in the future will see tokusatsu of today in a similar light.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Seeing this makes me wish Cannon Group got to make their Spider-Man film.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:31 am Reply with quote
Themaster: You sure about that, after Superman: The Quest for Peace? Rolling Eyes

GeorgeC: Dude, they bought Spider-Man when it went into that lame clone saga. I'm sure they can give Mighty Morphin Peter Rangers a shot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2