• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bayonetta 2 Wins 'Accessible Mainstream Game of the Year' Award for 2014

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Impressive. I'll be looking forward to the next installment. I'm sure a certain ahem...[] will still be tweeting about her hatred for it. As if anyone really gave a rats a$$. Congrats to Kamiya and the gang for succeeding in this new franchise. And the one thing no one seem to point out is all the gal saving. Hmmm...Bayonetta closed out 2014 in the same way that Frozen and Kill la Kill did for 2013 and when Marnie was here for 2014. I'm surprised no one caught the trend. Thing is Bayonetta did it TWICE.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Nice award. Gamers who are disabled and may need support to play are something which is rarely talked about. Think the last time it was during that whole Ocean Marketing debacle a few years ago.
JackCox

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Somewhere, Anita Sarkeesian is having a meltdown.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Congrats to Bayonetta 2 for this achievement. Smile

Whoah, I look at the boxart for Bayonetta 2, I'm surprised to see the first one is included. That is really unexpected.

*looking around the web*

Well turns out I miss the news about the Wii U will get the first game included with the second game. How on earth did I miss that. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:19 am Reply with quote
Wonderful! Hoping for more games to have these types of features in the future.
Mathias2001

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:44 am Reply with quote
JackCox wrote:

Lol you thought about the same thing as me. Lol, I really want to see it thought. But I was like looking at the news and I immediately thought about her and how she hated the gave and everything.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:19 am Reply with quote
Congratulations for Bayonetta 2 winning. Smile
I'm also ecstatic that Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire has been thought of for the award. Here's hoping it'll get it.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:41 am Reply with quote
I usually have to remind myself what the award is for when I read titles of articles like this because oftentimes the winning game is actually pretty challenging from a skill standpoint, and accessible typically gets used as a way of saying a game is easy enough for more casual players. Cool to see this game as this year's winner.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:51 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Congrats to Bayonetta 2 for this achievement. Smile

Whoah, I look at the boxart for Bayonetta 2, I'm surprised to see the first one is included. That is really unexpected.

*looking around the web*

Well turns out I miss the news about the Wii U will get the first game included with the second game. How on earth did I miss that. Embarassed

It's a bloody good value, I must say. Bayonetta 1 even has the Nintendo costumes, so if you've played it before you at least can have a unique secondary playthrough.

It's good to see any game make an attempt to have control schemes which accommodate those with disabilities, and especially one with as high quality as Bayonetta 2. Platinum Games, you're so great.

Also "This War of Mine" sounds very interesting. Apparently it focuses on being a civilian in a war.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:21 pm Reply with quote
JackCox wrote:

Damn, you said it and I was trying to be nice. LOL. Oh well. Haters gonna hate. Wink But man I wonder why the first game didn't get a 'Game of the Year award? Was it the timing of the 2nd game since it came in time for Xmas? Considering the setting was during Xmas. Which I thought was a nice note to end on.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
JackCox wrote:

Damn, you said it and I was trying to be nice. LOL. Oh well. Haters gonna hate. Wink But man I wonder why the first game didn't get a 'Game of the Year award? Was it the timing of the 2nd game since it came in time for Xmas? Considering the setting was during Xmas. Which I thought was a nice note to end on.

First game came out the same year as Red Dead Redemption.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
But man I wonder why the first game didn't get a 'Game of the Year award?

Which one? There are a lot of Game of the Year awards considering every site/reviewer/YouTuber/blogger/poster will have their own. IGN UK apparently had Bayonetta as their GOTY, so there you go.

If you mean some kind of award show, well, those are reserved for AAA games and more about public relations and politics than anything else.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:22 pm Reply with quote
^He's talking about the GOTY award in this very article.

It's possible that this is the first time they're giving the award. There aren't anymore GOTY award articles on there website.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:40 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
JackCox wrote:

Damn, you said it and I was trying to be nice. LOL. Oh well. Haters gonna hate. Wink But man I wonder why the first game didn't get a 'Game of the Year award?

The first Bayonetta didn't have the Wii-U controls anyways, so it probably wouldn't have won regardless.

Anyways, what's more upsetting than Sarkeesian was that people didn't buy the first game enough that it shouldn't have to be license rescued several years later. Maybe a little Sarkeesian controversy would actually have helped!
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Anita Sarkeesian doesn't bug me as much as those sycophant gaming critics online, like those clowns at Polygon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2