• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Greatest Demon Lord is Reborn as a Typical Nobody (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:08 am Reply with quote

(The) Greatest Demon Lord is Reborn as a Typical Nobody (TV)

Genres: action, fantasy
Themes: school

Plot Summary: The greatest demon lord in all of history, Varvatos, has reigned for several millennia as absolute ruler. Now, there's only one thing left for him to do: enjoy the life of an average commoner. When he's reincarnated as a villager in a non-descript town, everything seems to be going as he hoped, but there's just one slight problem—even when he holds back, Varvatos is still too strong. Soon, rumors about him spread, and he's approached by all sorts of men, women, and assailants.

Apr. 6, 2022 (Wednesdays; Crunchyroll)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:50 pm Reply with quote
So... Let's summarize the final arc, shall we?

In which Ard and his girls go back to "ancient times" (2000 years) to meet the guy who Ard is reincarnated from (and has all of his memories) the "Demon King"... who is not a Demon... and more of a benevolent savior of an age (IGNORE THAT!) where Ard has to fight an alternate timeline evil version of himself who is a little older. The evil version wants to basically kill everyone in the past (including, I think, his earlier self) to save the one friend (a buxom warrior elf) who he feels guilty for letting die. THIS HE DOES.... but he still wants to kill everyone because he figures she'll die in another way.... although he killed the biggest threat that killed her earlier and now.... he's the threat. And part of his plot is to lead the girls to the one thing that can kill him... but no one knew about.
So the good Ard kills the bad Ard and they go back to the future.... after changing the past.... except nothing is different and the spirit of Buxom Elf is still hanging around Ard.... like she was before....
...and the spirit who sent Ard to the past to kill his evil self... was also the spirit who sent alternate evil Ard in the past so he could be killed... so Young Ard doesn't become Evil Ard.... who then wouldn't need to be sent to the past to be killed... but the three remember it all, and the girls have hairpins from the past... even though "in the present" they hadn't been transported, they were sleeping.
AND OH MY DEMON KING! does my head hurt!

Also, remember...
"We can't use magic to escape, but what about ATYPICAL MAGIC!?"

...or atypical logic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:49 pm Reply with quote
A most excellent summation, Spastic Minnow! Kinda makes me wonder how I managed to find the generosity to give this a So-So rating...
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
A most excellent summation, Spastic Minnow! Kinda makes me wonder how I managed to find the generosity to give this a So-So rating...

If you're like me, you watched the Strongest/Weakest Mage/Crest last season and ended up thinking - "Well, at least this one's not THAT bad."
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I dropped that one after about three episodes. Don't ask me why I drop one crappy show and persist with another. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme nor reason to it.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I basically knew it would be bad, but I have a soft spot for OP MC dumpster fire shows, so I marathoned it in a couple days. So amazingly bland- the characters don't even have families to speak of... Just this MFF trio of 13/14 year olds traveling the world, 1-hitting demons.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:02 am Reply with quote
I really don't get the rampant popularity of OverPoweredness in anime/manga/LNs. It defies the Western concept, created by the Greeks, that drama is conflict and conflict means the protagonist encounters obstacles. I get the wish fulfillment aspect but it's still kind of remarkable that there is so much of this material out there where there are zero stakes and the protagonist wins automatically with no effort or setbacks. The Japanese would never create a game that was ludicrously easy but for some reason we get these types of shows.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I really don't get the rampant popularity of OverPoweredness in anime/manga/LNs. It defies the Western concept, created by the Greeks, that drama is conflict and conflict means the protagonist encounters obstacles. I get the wish fulfillment aspect but it's still kind of remarkable that there is so much of this material out there where there are zero stakes and the protagonist wins automatically with no effort or setbacks. The Japanese would never create a game that was ludicrously easy but for some reason we get these types of shows.

As long as it's light-hearted enough, I enjoy it. Just fun somehow seeing some unassuming dweeb surprising all the snobs with his super poweredness and, often, slimes. Helps more if the waifus are cute too.

On the waifu front... this was alright. Ireena was always good (helps that she was in the first two episodes, by far the best part of the show). Ginny's Momo harem plan was a little annoying, really. Sylphie was an idiot. Lydia was eye candy but otherwise confusing.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:55 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
If you're like me, you watched the Strongest/Weakest Mage/Crest last season and ended up thinking - "Well, at least this one's not THAT bad."

I don't know, I found that show a bit more fun than this one. Specifically connected to the female characters, you know the ones that actually have to try in accomplishing stuff, as well as its version of the petite but overpowered girl from the main character's deep past.

If there was one character actually interesting in this show, it would probably have been Lydia, that being she is actually a super thirsty lesbian, the complete opposite from expected ideas of purity. And although not cool with her harassment, did actually have Ard be more interesting from him getting into fights with her, that dispel his cool persona. Because really he is mostly boring.

The main two girls really were not interesting either, with Ginny being the most confusing. She went from girl being mistreated like a slave, and zero confidence, to be a conniving man stealer. Because get it that she is a succubus, and to make her a bit more palatable they make it so she actually wants to make him a harem. Which all of that would be more interesting if Ireena was not so strongly against it, which clearly Ard would be in agreement of. I was kind of thinking it could have been more interesting if say Ginny interest was shared not with Ard but with Ireena. Keeping her as the thirsty succubus, but not just in competition with Ireena like some boring love triangle, and would work her charms on both of them. Maybe also keeping that unsure aspect she probably should have had, rather than say trying to dress up the whole class as sexy maids just for some idea for Ard harem.

I am also still confused about what is meant by demons. Like, the demons are bad that Lydia cost her life because she did not believe in brokering peace with them. But Varvatos was called a demon lord, and also Ginny as a succubus is also a demon? It is really confusing with what is meant by the word, if demons were bad, or there are good demons, or even how it fits in general to other non-human races like elves. Kind of seems like things could have been clearer. Also, Spastic Minnow already went into how the final arc is really bizarre and makes no sense.

The show did have maybe some interesting ideas in places, but I don't really think that any of them came through clearly in its anime adaption. Kind of like it might be one of those cases where if I actually talked to someone who is a big fan of source material and is very familiar with its setting, they could fill in how it is actually really smart and consistent. But through this adaption, the pieces just don't connect together in a satisfactory way.

My rating will be So-so (5/10). Perhaps if its good points connected a bit better, or I actually had some guilty pleasure fun, I would have put it up a point, but it never quite reached that level for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1