• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Yoshiyuki Tomino Shares His Appreciation for The Wind Rises

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:33 am Reply with quote
Uh, I'm not sure what to make of his thought on this since the technology of the zero baffle me when I read this. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BassKuroi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:51 am Reply with quote
"At first I thought of Hayao Miyazaki as a rival to conquer"

HAHAHAHA!! Good luck with that!

From that point of view, your whole life is a failure, Tomino-san.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:24 am Reply with quote
BassKuroi wrote:
"At first I thought of Hayao Miyazaki as a rival to conquer"

From that point of view, your whole life is a failure, Tomino-san.

I wouldn't say that. I mean, he did create Gundam, after all. That's still a thing Razz
KidOblivion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:57 am Reply with quote
[quote="BassKuroi"]"At first I thought of Hayao Miyazaki as a rival to conquer"

From that point of view, your whole life is a failure, Tomino-san.[/quote]

He only created the most successful franchise in anime/otaku culture history. No big deal.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:55 am Reply with quote
I really hate it when people read too much into movies. Sure, there are some works where the makers make their beliefs obvious by shoving it down our throat (like that one Marvel movie series which I shant name), but other stuff that's read into that far just puts me off of it somewhat because once it becomes a shared opinion, I don't want to be part of the bandwagon, especially if it's something I don't believe in.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:20 pm Reply with quote
^ Well he's pretty spot on about this one, from what I've read in interviews with Miyazaki. This is also how I viewed the movie. The romance was really a minor aspect but the heart of the story was completely unrelated.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:57 pm Reply with quote
KidOblivion wrote:

He only created the most successful franchise in anime/otaku culture history. No big deal.

Though it becoming successful had little to do with him; the original Gundam was canceled.
Via_01

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:04 pm Reply with quote
So even when Tomino says something thoughtful about a wonderful movie there are people that jump into the bandwagon of hating anything Tomino related. Geez.

In any case, his view on the movie is certainly spot-on, at least from my perspective. The romantic element in the Wind Rises was certainly there, but it was more about engineering, aviation and how those who had a dream of making wonderful planes had to make machines to be used at war under horrible conditions. I loved this movie, and Tomino is certainly right in praising it.

Also, about the "at first I thought of Hayao Miyazaki as a rival to conquer", isn't that great? To have the desire of being better than those of your generation so that you can make good stuff?
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Via_01 wrote:
So even when Tomino says something thoughtful about a wonderful movie there are people that jump into the bandwagon of hating anything Tomino related. Geez.

Yeah, that kind of shocked me, and I'm one of those ready to jump on him when he says something stupid. This time though, Tomino wasn't talking down about some one, he was seriously praising the work.

And why are people jumping on him for that rival comment? Tomino is basically saying he acknowledges Miyazaki as being better and wants to get up to his level. That isn't being arrogant, it is being humble enough to admit when you're out classed.

While I do get the-antihero's point and also really hate it when people over analyze things, there is a difference between reading too much into things and ignoring things thrown in your face. That Miyazaki throws his commentary on things into his movies sometimes shouldn't be a new revelation. I don't think you need to try to read a whole lot into it, but the romance part was very clearly not the only thing Miyazaki was trying to show us. You can interpret the rest however you want, but there is definitely a 'the rest'.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Considering Tomino seems to be trying to make some similar political arguments of his own of late with G-Reco albeit in a more science fiction kind of way as opposed to historical semi-fiction I'm not surprised he'd have high praise for the film and Miyazaki who grew up in a similar environment and set of circumstances. Hearing things like his brief description of his father's work is also interesting. Honestly just being able to hear from somebody in the industry these days who has something to say that could possibly have relevance or interest to everyday people and isn't just some promotional sound bite, self promotion or telling people what they want to hear is rather refreshing. I'm not saying people necessarily have to agree with everything he says (for example I disagree with his stance on video games) but at least try to put themselves in his shoes and understand where he's coming from and maybe why he has the outlooks he does instead of just bashing the guy all the time people. Like I get that he hardly speaks to the modern otaku and their interests and beliefs (whatever exactly it is they believe in) but I think that's exactly the sort of thing that should be kept in mind when looking at his commentary on matters. Like here is a person that attempts to talk about modern politics and weigh in on them, whereas the most your average creator seems to have to say about anything nowadays is that they hope their products sell and people are entertained by them, which is a nice sentiment but kind of doesn't give one much to consider. I'd rather look to a creator that has things to say some of which I disagree with but are interesting and thought provoking to read than just another industry spokesperson given the choice.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
KidOblivion wrote:

Though it becoming successful had little to do with him; the original Gundam was canceled.

Tomino had a little more to do with the Gundam franchise than just the original TV series.

A lot of extremely popular, beloved franchises were failures at first. Gundam was an echo of the initial failure and booming success of Space Battleship Yamato some years earlier, for instance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:51 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:
KidOblivion wrote:

Tomino had a little more to do with the Gundam franchise than just the original TV series.

A lot of extremely popular, beloved franchises were failures at first. Gundam was an echo of the initial failure and booming success of Space Battleship Yamato some years earlier, for instance.

Exactly. Part of the problem was that both shows were kind of ahead of their times in targeting older audiences at a time when it was believed by producers, sponsors, TV executives, and much of Japan that anime was aimed at and should be targeted at kids for the purposes of TV ratings and advertising merchandise. It never really occurred to anyone before the likes of Tomino and Matsumoto came along that anime could be used to reach a broader audience and tell more mature stories with complex settings. The way Yamato and Gundam were marketed and with the constant tug of war between sponsors and the creative team behind the shows it was no small wonder the shows bombed with their initial runs. Nobody really knew what to make of it and young kids could barely comprehend the story lines and themes the same way they could stuff like Mazinger Z and Getter Robo.

Gundam did manage to find an audience with subsequent reruns when the marketing and business model started to become targeted more correctly towards older audiences and the ratings for the reruns to this day remain the stuff of legends. It was so successful that it essentially gave birth to the idea of an otaku market for older fans, which has since morphed over the decades into the one we see today. Though it curiously seems like Gundam has almost become a little outdated these days in not quite being otaku enough by the standards of todays fans and their expectations of what that means so I swear we're starting to see things come full circle where Gundam has been trying to do things like reach out to younger audiences and the female demographic again.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:09 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
I really hate it when people read too much into movies. Sure, there are some works where the makers make their beliefs obvious by shoving it down our throat (like that one Marvel movie series which I shant name), but other stuff that's read into that far just puts me off of it somewhat because once it becomes a shared opinion, I don't want to be part of the bandwagon, especially if it's something I don't believe in.

Ugh, I can't stand it when people tell others that they're "reading too much into movies." Not only movies, but just art in general. I would never tell anyone what they personally interpreted from a work was wrong. We're all different people, with different lives and experiences. Not one person views anything the same as the other. That's why art is so intriguing in the first place! How can you possibly claim that what someone got out of a work wasn't genuine? We all have our own unique interpretations of a work, including the director. It's ridiculous to say that only the director of a film has any say in what a movie was about, or symbolized. Sure, their view of it might hold more ground than others, but they're still just one person. This is why psychological works are so popular with viewers, they directly challenge people to face their own mental ideas.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and I think he also was involved in researching suicide weaponry...

Kill 'em All Tomino Sr. I suppose?

AiddonValentine wrote:
KidOblivion wrote:

The original Gundam failed initially because people weren't ready for military application giant robots while things like Go Nagai's super robots were still hot. Once they saw it as its own thing it took off like a shot and hasn't stopped since the '70s. It didn't give birth to a long running TV show, it spawned an entire franchise.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:41 pm Reply with quote
The Wind Rises

Most of Hayao's movies I re-watched more than 3-4 times.

The Wind Rises-- once is more than enough.

I think they discovered a drug to treat TB about the same year or maybe later ? not sure.

spoiler[A movie about a man who abandoned his wife to create killing machine. I did not know what's the controversy was about until i saw it myself.]

Overall, It's an ok movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3