• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata: Report on Live-Action Zelda Series is Incorrect

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:23 pm Reply with quote
So I guess it's not happening? Eh, saw it coming. To be completely honest, even as a Zelda fan, I wasn't looking forward to it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The Wall Street Journail

Journail?
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:10 pm Reply with quote
as if we didn't all see that coming a million miles away. You'd think people would have realized how absurd that was when the bogus story first popped up
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely No One Ever wrote:
Wow, I would have never guessed it was fake!
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Well it did begin as a rumor, and frankly, I wouldn't have wanted a live action Zelda anyway. Different matter if they decide to make it an anime though.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Felicity dash wrote:
Quote:
The Wall Street Journail

Journail?

Yeah I was going to point that out.

Also if it's incorrect, then who the hell came up with the rumor of a live-action Zelda and gave that idea to the Wall Street Journal? How did this end up becoming a rumor from the WSJ? Confused

Why would the WSJ risk ruining their credibility and reputation by publishing an article which is not true? Confused

Why did Nintendo took that long to say that article is incorrect? Why didn't Netflix speak out against WSJ just like Nintendo is doing? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Freyanne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

Why did Nintendo took that long to say that article is incorrect? Why didn't Netflix speak out against WSJ just like Nintendo is doing? Confused

That's exactly what I was thinking. I could understand if this was a few days after the announcement, but it's been weeks (or nearly a month). NOW Nintendo says something about it?

Something doesn't seem right.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Freyanne wrote:

That's exactly what I was thinking. I could understand if this was a few days after the announcement, but it's been weeks (or nearly a month). NOW Nintendo says something about it?

Something doesn't seem right.

Yes and Netflix is not speaking about this, so that's making this more suspicious.
Mr. slicer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:06 pm Reply with quote
That's a good point. Netflix could have killed the rumor weeks ago if it was compelely false.
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm maybe being a little optimistic. But "not accurate" isn't the same as "Not true".
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:20 am Reply with quote
Perhaps somebody at Netflix spilled the beans about something they heard regarding Zelda to WSJ, but didn't confirm the facts about whether it was true or not. Knowing how media reports these days with wanting to be first about getting the story out before getting the actual facts, WSJ probably ran with this thinking they had something. If there was any talks going on between Nintendo and Netflix, that report more than likely killed them. Since if it was only talks, cutting it off would have been very easy because there was not much invested at the current time. Netflix not saying anything still has me thinking that they had something going but we're probably not going to see it now. Nothing stays secret to surprise anybody anymore, that is obvious.
blessed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:33 am Reply with quote
Well who'd believe the Wall Street Journail anyway.
But was still amazing news that Nintendo crushed yet again. Goddammit Nintendo!
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:15 am Reply with quote
My best guess: There actually WAS some effort to make a live-action Zelda series, but it was done without permission from Nintendo; there was a violation of a non-disclosure agreement; or they contacted Nintendo, Nintendo gave them some documentation, and it was misinterpreted as permission to go ahead.

As for why Iwata has taken so long to make a comment about this, well, it takes time for information to trickle on up, and this was concerning foreign streaming television, which is far outside of Nintendo's focus. Odds are Iwata didn't know about this until recently and likely needed some time to figure out exactly what to say. It's Nintendo's style to be very careful and calculated in everything it does.

Nintendo is being a lot more diplomatic about this than Fox and the Predator Pinball scandal (wherein a team of builders attempted to make and sell Predator Pinball without permission from Fox and lied about it), with Iwata quietly just telling people that there is faulty information. Then again, Nintendo's legal team may have already attacked in secret.

Felicity dash wrote:
Quote:
The Wall Street Journail

Journail?

You know, a portmanteau of "journal" and "snail," indicating how slow it takes news to show up on a newspaper as opposed to online news. (I kid, I kid.)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:09 am Reply with quote
Well of course it's incorrect.................... until it's correct. Wink

Wandering Samurai wrote:

Nothing stays secret to surprise anybody anymore, that is obvious.

I dunno................ Japanese can get really secretive about their TV shows (even just episode counts)...........
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:44 am Reply with quote
Mr. slicer wrote:
That's a good point. Netflix could have killed the rumor weeks ago if it was compelely false.

Or maybe they both had better things to do than comment on an obviously bogus rumor and thought people would be smart enough to realize it was bogus. Turns out people needed it to be said that there is not going to be a Netflix series because it's too much to ask for them to figure it out on their own.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3