• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Digital Manga Media's Forums?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burnaby

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, I might be a little late to the game, but did Digital Manga Media/Digital Manga Ink get rid of their forums?

Also, on a side note, does anyone have experience working with the guild? Was it a good one?
lys

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:46 pm Reply with quote
No idea about the forum.

I had an experience applying to the Guild back in the very beginning. I was one of the first to submit my (lettering) test but there was an issue with the uploader and my test somehow got lost and I never got a real response to solve the issue, so I never got as far as joining a team or anything (I was already lettering professionally at the time so I don't think it was a question of my work not being up to their standards). But then my workload for another publisher picked up and I haven't felt the need to pursue or worry about what "might have been" since. If you've got the skills, you might be better off contacting other publishers (this is mainly for translation or lettering, since script editing is usually done in-house—or if you're in college and able to live in the right city you could aim for an internship).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I worked with DMG as a translator. I started out with cautious enthusiasm, put in a ton of work, had about 16 volumes published digitally, then had three of my translations rejected after DMG staff had stalled for months adding the typesetter to our project, leaving everybody with no compensation for our work. Two of those books they still haven't published.

I didn't enjoy that experience, but they were within their rights. Where they are not within their rights is to always be behind in sending earnings reports and checks. They always had excuses from the beginning. Now it seems as if it's way beyond excuses, and they just don't bother. Everyone I know who has worked with them seems to say you have to badger them to get your money. Making money on other people's backs like this is no way to run a business. I'm pretty disgusted.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1