• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Maiden Japan Adds Patlabor WXIII Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greboruri

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
The interesting thing is that Minipato hasn't had a BD release in Japan as far as I'm aware. I'm not expecting it to be HD and in 4:3 letterbox (think the Japanese Minipato DVD was the same).
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Maiden Japan also releasedthe Patlabor The Mobile Police: The New Files OVA and Patlabor: The Movie.

The article might as well mention than in addition to The New Files and the first movie, Maiden Japan also released/plans to release the original OVA, the 47 episodes tv series and the Patlabor 2 movie.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Cool, I have the first two movies but I still need this one. Probably gonna pick up the blu ray for this one.
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:33 am Reply with quote
Definitely the strangest of the Patlabor films, but it's still worth seeing. I'm looking forward to getting the BDs for all three movies.

Now I just hope that Sentai's other imprint Switchblade Pictures will add the Patlabor The Next Generation live-action series and its movie(s?).
ScienceNinjaTeam

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:37 pm Reply with quote
this is good news! i was worried they were gonna pass this less popular non Oshii one over and my Patlabor blu-ray collection would be incomplete. I second for the live action as well.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:25 am Reply with quote
That movie was so boring. Still decent but not nearly on the same level as Oshii's movies in the franchise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:30 pm Reply with quote
This was a really bizarre movie, in its approach. They were trying to do this hardboiled approach, but then there's the giant monster, trying not to have it be a real Patlabor movie, but then there's the SV2 Unit 2. And the continuity is odd, because it obviously takes place before the second movie where Unit 2's original players had moved on.

It wasn't terrible. In fact, I daresay it was a pretty solid movie overall, just kind of offputting in terms of being a chapter of Patlabor. People said the same thing of the second movie, though, which was mostly about Gotoh and Nagumo and not about Noa Izumi at all.

It's weird. Of all three Patlabor movies, Noa Izumi, the main character of Patlabor, was only a major part of the first. And even then, "major" is debatable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1