• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Comics Snob likes Love Hina

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:54 pm Reply with quote
In today's journalista at http://www.tcj.com/journalista/ Dirk Deppey of the Comics Journal favorably considers the Love Hina manga and trashes a Marvel comic that's aimed at the same demographic. It's in the article titled "Manga Enters Bookscan's Top Twenty."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
SkullKnight

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm not at all surprised. It seems to be that the east has a substantially better talent of writing stories than we do. I guess it has to do with different historical background and politics.

Is it just me or are the Marvel movies almost do a better job than the comics did. Lets take a gander at X-men shall we. The movies even at a 2 hour format are pacing the story better than the comic did. Hell even the animated series (older one) was alittle better. And now there trying to "Refresh" everything. Let it die damnit! Where's the ending!
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:32 am Reply with quote
^^ No offense, but I hope you mean in comic stories.

Ever heard of Twain, Faulkner, Dickey, Updike, Vonnegut, Bradbury,......
SkullKnight

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 10:21 am Reply with quote
Yea I meant comics. There are a few that were good, but they always involved death of a superhero Smile

I use to be a fan of twain but the stories lose there appeal after a while.

most of my interest in older literature is english like Robert Browning, John Donne, And shorts like Joyce's "The Dead"
che_guevara

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:07 pm Reply with quote
To be honnest, I'd prefer if manga never enters the "mainstream". I'd prefer if the current clientele doesn't expand. Once it does, everything will become marketing, thus, everything will become pokemon.

And Marvel comics have their own clientele. I hate them, but they're still good. When we're talking about art and litterature, everyone has their own [unshakable] opinions.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Why does someone with such anti-populist opinions go by the nick che guevara?

Actually the mainstreaming of manga has made it safe for more niche-driven titles to be imported; as a for-example, Viz wanted to release the Please Save My Earth manga years ago, but were afraid of losing money big time, because there weren't enough potential buyers for such a slow-paced relationship-driven manga. Now there are enough potential buyers, so they're releasing it. Hooray!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
che_guevara

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:13 am Reply with quote
I don't believe Che Guevara ever commented on anime and manga. In short, my opinions are specific by issue.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:47 am Reply with quote
But che guevara was a communist revolutionary, making him an anti-elitist and a populist, diametrically opposed to keeping anything from the hoi polloi. Your desire to keep manga from the common prolitariat couldn't be further from Guevara's values.

Anyway, as I said, more manga fans=more money for manga publishers=more and more varied manga published=I get manga like PSME. Therefore manga needs to be as popular as possible.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Aaron: Actually, Viz didn't license Please Save My Earth until now, because they thought all they needed was Rumiko Takahashi manga and anime to help the company. I don't consider PSME as much of a niche title as whatever was published in Pulp.

Edit: As for X Men, if not for the early 90's cartoons, all I'd be aware of were Wolverine and Cyclops. Back in the 80's I was reading the Canadian equivalent, i.e. Alpha Flight. (I know, I suck, but Puck rules.)
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Actually I remember Matt Thorn writing somewhere (Animerica? rec.arts.anime.misc?) about them wanting to do it back when they released the anime, but back then the market wouldn't have supported such a title. It's taken about six years for shojo and manga in general to become financially viable enough for them to risk it.

The stuff in pulp was only edgier on the "boobies and blow-ups" meter. PSME doesn't seem to rely on sex and violence the way Pulp did, if the anime's any guide.
animaniac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:48 am Reply with quote
well us comics are shallow either funny or action packed. Poorly illustrated not very artsy. Manga is and often has good story and are less shallow. Plus its a culture issue to big differences except many of us "young people" have adopted other cultures.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:24 am Reply with quote
"Poorly illustrated not very artsy."

You are so wrong on this it isn't even funny.

I implore you to read Sandman or Watchmen; anything by Alan Moore, anything by Neil Gaiman. Hell, Neil Gaiman's 1601 series, which features a cast of Marvel heroes in the 1600's, is very well-written, poignant, and thoughtful. The art is beautiful, too. Don't let nipponophilia force you to decry everything that isn't manga.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:38 am Reply with quote
Also, companies like Fantagraphics, Alternative Comics and Drawn & Quarterly publish a wide variety of astonishing comics; comics stores don't always carry them, but they're out there. Cerebus is brilliant, although Dave Sim, the guy who does it, has lost his mind. Great cartoonist, lousy social critic.
neko_ewen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 1:39 pm Reply with quote
[quote="SkullKnight"]I'm not at all surprised. It seems to be that the east has a substantially better talent of writing stories than we do. I guess it has to do with different historical background and politics.[quote]

In Japan, comic artists are treated with more respect overall than those at Marvel and DC, and also a popular series doesn't have to be kept continuing indefinitely.

Oh, and manga is pretty much mainstream now; it's become at least as plentiful and accessible as Western comics, or did you not notice that TokyoPop's offerings are present in not only comic book shops but major bookstores and even some video stores. Wait, have they surpassed American comics when we weren't looking? Someone should check the numbers... Marvel definitely seems to think that the manga trend is worth taking notice of; they've done more manga-styled spinoffs than I can count.

The difference between the two kinds of comics is more that the mainstream version of manga doesn't always need triple-digit issue numbers, collectability, or a lack of genres other than superheroes. Otherwise it's still pop culture with its own stupid hangups. Here as there there are titles that fall outside that realm and are more apt to be called art.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1