• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Possible New Tournament.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:26 pm Reply with quote
So as the title suggests we are POSSIBLY considering having another anime tournament like in the days of yore. We have not decided if we will or not so don't take this a definite sign one is coming. The idea has been brought up though and we're mulling it over. Before we decide either way we want to see if there's enough public interest in having one, or if it's not worth the time and effort.

So for now please just post if you're interested or not. Please hold off on getting into discussion on what theme to make it until we decide if we're actually going to do it or not. We also need to find a staff member or two to help run it if there is enough forum interest. I think poor Key has burned himself out with these over the years so it would probably be someone else. I'm also not sure if any of the previous members who helped organize and run this, the spreadsheets, prizes, etc. are active and if so up for doing this again. So like I said, we're just gauging interest for the moment, but if enough is shown we might do another.

Thank you.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I carry an interest in it in a general sense, but if the topic we end up going with is one that doesn't keep my attention like the last one then I'll eventually fall off. I think we'd have a better turn out if it was a light hearted and fun topic, rather than something too intellectually demanding.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much what Vaisaga said, I'd be interested depending on the topic. I know you said not to discuss the topic, so I'll just say I also echo Vaisaga's opinion on the subje.ct
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:02 am Reply with quote
Apart from stickying the tournament thread, is there anything that moderators are needed for? I think the earliest tournaments were user run.

Anyway, count me in as being interested in a new tourney, even one that isn't my pet project.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Basically one is needed to...supervise. We've seen how heated some arguments can get when it gets to later rounds. Plus helping it get set up during the nomination project helps. And it doesn't have to be a mod per se, but having a staffer would help IMO.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I think we could just use to report function to call upon a mod when there's an issue.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I might be interested, but I'm not confident that I can stay interested particularly if the conversations get too intellectual for me to follow. I think I could at least stay around to cast votes with some reasoning. I'm just worried there might be a lot of animes that I haven't seen.

I can't foresee how intense the debates might get, but a mod who is familiar with the thread would have an easier time to gauge the situation. I think there should at least be someone acting as an umpire or something.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Just to point out typically in the past some of us mods have participated in them as well. As have other staff. So there might be a presence simply from that alone. Regardless, we'd need a bit more interest shown to undertake this.

Assuming we decide to do it and get to the theme choosing stage I would personally say that even older tournament themes done in the past could be reused. In some cases it's been years since that particular theme (for example best couple) was used. Many new anime have come out that could really alter the characters/shows used and the results. So assuming we do decide to do one already used ideas might not neccisarily be "off limits" so to speak. That's getting ahead of ourselves though.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:54 am Reply with quote
I'm always interested in tourneys, and I also concur with Vaisaga's post. I tend to enjoy the more cerebral topics, but I think too many people get turned off or drop it. Something light and fluffy is needed which may also necessitate a change in format. My impression is that many people feel its a bit of a grind with the requirement to give reasons for their votes. If that was just optional then the people who wanted to put forth reasons would be free to do so and those that wanted to keep quiet while following the discussions wouldn't feel pressure to speak up.

Just my impression from being in a few of the past tournaments.
Night fox

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:51 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
My impression is that many people feel its a bit of a grind with the requirement to give reasons for their votes.

But is it not the same requirement of intelligible conversation and reasoning behind opinions that distinguishes ANN from other similar sites? Those who can't motivate themselves to provide even short explanations for their votes are likely not that interested in the tournament in the first place. If they decided not to contribute it wouldn't really affect the substance of the tournament, only the surface (the number of participants). Besides, even if you haven't seen a certain anime title, you can always read the character descriptions to make a decision on how to vote.

Those who don't work, don't eat. Wink
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Night fox wrote:
One-Eye wrote:
My impression is that many people feel its a bit of a grind with the requirement to give reasons for their votes.

But is it not the same requirement of intelligible conversation and reasoning behind opinions that distinguishes ANN from other similar sites? Those who can't motivate themselves to provide even short explanations for their votes are likely not that interested in the tournament in the first place. If they decided not to contribute it wouldn't really affect the substance of the tournament, only the surface (the number of participants). Besides, even if you haven't seen a certain anime title, you can always read the character descriptions to make a decision on how to vote.

Those who don't work, don't eat. Wink

Seriously? Are you aware of how you are coming across?
1. I never said ban discussion just not to make it a requirement for voting. I explicitly said that those who want to provide reasons can do so. Why do you think people in this thread have been saying not to make it too "intellectual"?

2. You have probably not participated in our tournaments otherwise you'd be aware that the topic of how to attract and keep people involved has come up before. Our Tournaments can last months and I think some people based on past comments get burned out. You implying that its a failure of them to motivate themselves is somewhat insulting, when the reason might be the structure which may just need a little tweaking.

I could go on but I'm going to leave it at that.
Night fox

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:22 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:

No, so instead of giving me some passive aggressive comment, why don't you give your enterpretation? I never said there were no structual issues, but I don't believe that disassembling the structure so that people can just do whatever they feel like atm is the solution either. Sports wouldn't be very interesting if players didn't have to follow certain rules.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Night fox wrote:
One-Eye wrote:

No, so instead of giving me some passive aggressive comment, why don't you give your enterpretation?
I did I said, "You implying that its a failure of them to motivate themselves is somewhat insulting..." I'm not trying to go to war with you here, but your comments came off as high-handed and certainly not inclusive.

Quote:
I never said there were no structual issues...
So you agree that there might be an issue with the structure? Good, and I gave a possible solution which was that reasons didn't have to be mandatory. The people who enjoy putting forth arguments will do so anyways those who don't feel like putting forth an argument every week for possibly multiple nominees wont feel pressured to do so. And I'm not married to this suggestion btw, if you have other ideas for maintaining a level of participation I'm all ears.

Quote:
...,but I don't believe that disassembling the structure so that people can just do whatever they feel like atm is the solution either. Sports wouldn't be very interesting if players didn't have to follow certain rules.
Nowhere am I advocating throwing the rules out the window or letting people do whatever they want. If you check some of our previous tourneys you will see that there have been fairly detailed rules.

What I wish to express to you is that there has been issues with participation. Based on some of the comments in the past and even brought up here in this thread it often comes down to 2 main issues. First the topic is perhaps too challenging or uninteresting for some (the reason for comments asking for lighter and less "intellectual" topics) or that the number of times people are required to provide reasons is too onerous. Now you said:
Quote:
If they decided not to contribute it wouldn't really affect the substance of the tournament, only the surface (the number of participants).
I respectfully disagree. It can affect the substance of the discussion. Last tournament I recall we had some rounds where there was only 4 maybe 5 votes. This number doesn't often offer much variety of discussion or differing viewpoints in tournaments. Instead you may get the same argument being rehashed by the same people for the same contender for the entire tourney (this could be weeks or even months). That's not a lot of variety, but if you have more people you may have more insights or more interpretations (depending on the topic) which can be more interesting.

In this respect, "the more the merrier".
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I was never interested in participating in a tournament as a player but I thought that I might as a voter, until I read this thread.
Now voting looks very unattractive.

I looked at the rules for the Most Improved Character Tournament which I think was the last previous tournament.
It looks to me like the rules are written to discourage "casual" voters. If that is the case then it is working. I am definitely discouraged.
Am I misunderstanding something?

Night fox wrote:
Sports wouldn't be very interesting if players didn't have to follow certain rules.

It seems to me that sports would be even less interesting if fans were required to write an essay before they could cheer for a play.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Night fox

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:13 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
I did I said, "You implying that its a failure of them to motivate themselves is somewhat insulting..." I'm not trying to go to war with you here, but your comments came off as high-handed and certainly not inclusive.

You sound like a public defender who speaks for clients he doesn't actually have. I'm not sure if you're insulted, or if you're trying to convince others that they should feel insulted. What's the point of accusing me of something I may, or may not, have done, other than to make me look bad?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2