• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: El Hazard - The Magnificent World BD Set Slated for July 30

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:03 pm Reply with quote
So the obvious question to ask is the chances of this being released outside of Japan by anyone.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Well, there are other questions.

Is the Japanese import going to be subtitled, and is it going to look any better as a BluRay?

Glad they are using the original OVA's, wouldn't want to pay for the horrible EH2.

I hope they do make a domestic BD, but I hope they use the existing dub or make a new one. Since I watched it dubbed on the domestic LaserDiscs, and the DVD memorial set.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:16 pm Reply with quote
This is fantastic news, but I still would like to know why there has been a seven month delay with this release.

TarsTarkas wrote:

Is the Japanese import going to be subtitled, and is it going to look any better as a BluRay?

Glad they are using the original OVA's, wouldn't want to pay for the horrible EH2.

I hope they do make a domestic BD, but I hope they use the existing dub or make a new one. Since I watched it dubbed on the domestic LaserDiscs, and the DVD memorial set.

The Japanese release will have the English dub but going by CD Japan's product information, no subtitles. This doesn't bother me personally as it's one of the very few anime I've preferred the English dub over the original Japanese.

They're remastering the video, so I imagine the picture quality will improve for viewing on a big HD screen. They managed to improve the picture quality for the much older Space Battleship Yamato TV series on Blu-Ray, so I'd be surprised if the considerably newer El-Hazard wouldn't see a marked improvement from the restoration.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:55 pm Reply with quote
@ValkyrieZeroZeroOne
I just remember Justin mentioning the Japanese BD quality for older anime may be hit or miss, depending on how the original anime was created, and what the Japanese actually use to master the BD's.
Anime_Otaku35

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:41 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

They are rescanning the film to create a new HD telecine. It should look amazing.
lemurs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:29 am Reply with quote
It's from the same era as the Tenchi OVAs so it should look a lot like their remaster - which was quite good.
MaxSterling

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:15 am Reply with quote
One of my favorite OAVs that I still have my VHSs and DVDs. I'll probably pick this one up as Blu-Rays of 90s anime haven't had the best record of coming over.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:16 pm Reply with quote
MaxSterling wrote:
One of my favorite OAVs that I still have my VHSs and DVDs. I'll probably pick this one up as Blu-Rays of 90s anime haven't had the best record of coming over.

Seems like it. Now that it's out, I wonder what the verdict on it is. I just thought about it today after listening to AWO's latest podcast review about it.

I still have to laugh at myself that most of AIC's titles for Pioneer (and anything produced by Pioneer/Geneon for that matter) are NBCUniversal's baby these days, yet they're not inclined to have a go at it themselves stateside besides licensing what petty titles there are.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1