• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ken Ogino's Lady Justice Manga Ends in Shonen Jump

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krokietto

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:34 am Reply with quote
No popularity = bye bye jump
Souther

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:59 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I'm not surprised it got canned. It just wasn't that good. Which is a shame 'cause I felt it should've been better than it was.
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:16 am Reply with quote
That's a shame, one of the better series launched in WSJ recently but if it's not popular enough then it's to be expected.

Really liked this series, best new series since Shokugeki no Soma way back in my opinion. Hope the mangaka doesn't lose hope and comes back stronger.
Drunk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:42 am Reply with quote
EighteenSky wrote:
Hope the mangaka doesn't lose hope and comes back stronger.

Barrage by Kouhei Horikoshi was also cancelled a couple of years ago. And now he's back with Boku No Hero Academia and it's really successful.
Desa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:44 am Reply with quote
I don't know how many authors begin a series with an ending in mind and how many just wing it as they go, but I usually prefer series a bit on the shorter side as I don't have as much time for Naruto-length epics spanning over a decade like I used to.

That being said, I do prefer to have series end on their own terms rather than through the axe of cancellation or some kind of indefinite hiatus. I remember being deeply unsatisfied with the ending of Mx0 so I am hoping to not feel the same way about this ending. I suspect it might end similarly to another series that was cancelled called 'SWOT' which basically concluded on the end of an arc, which was a well-rounded way to bow out ahead of schedule. Definitely better than a cliffhanger type ending which basically screams:
"What happens next?--You'll never know!--Tee-hee!"
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Tensai GinAce

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:13 am Reply with quote
Took it a while for that.
i mean the art is pretty awesome i love it, but honestly the story is really REALLY bad ! specially the first chapter, MY GOD THE CLICHE ! i don't know how they even allowed it to start with such weak writing....
well, goodluck with the mangaka and i hope he does better with his next work. for now i'm glad a slot is open for potential stories that actually deserve it.
hurafloyd

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:15 am Reply with quote
I cant find it strange that this manga got cancelled, if you want just another super hero to read about, Marvel and DC are just there. It wasnt bad but it needed better and stronger punches than mentioning Hulk or Thor Razz.

This manga needed some twists and interesting ideas not a typical and bland shounen approach for a super hero (yes I know it is Shounen Jump). Boy meets girl, girl turns out to be a super hero, ecchi scenes just to please the readers, short on a story to tell...

Even so for a light read it is enjoyable.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:23 am Reply with quote
Despite my strong dislike for anything related to Shonen Jump or Shueisha (with the exception of JoJo) I read a few chapters, and I found it astonishingly bad, and not for the fanservice.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:04 am Reply with quote
I've read the first chapter, and it had absolutely no originality, the author seemed content to wallow in genre tropes. So this news comes as no surprise.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:55 am Reply with quote
this manga was so bland it should have been published in a magazine for older readers, so it could have at least go all the way in the fanservice department, like tolove ru.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:32 am Reply with quote
It's always a shame when this happens. To make such a major magazine and ending it that way. I thought the first chapters were pretty fun too.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I've never even heard of this title before.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Yeah you could really tell this one was struggling to get off the ground.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I never really paid much attention to it, mainly because Viz didn't. (I still stand by my guess that they had legal problems with calling a superhero series "Lady Justice.") Still, I've heard more bad things than good about it, and WSJ has some very tough competition presently. There has rarely been so many hits in the magazine than it currently is, between One Piece, Black Clover, My Hero Academia, Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma, Assassination Classroom, and to a lesser extent World Trigger. Finding a foothold is tough. Better series have failed.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:03 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
(I still stand by my guess that they had legal problems with calling a superhero series "Lady Justice.")

Unless there is already an American creation here with that name, what legal issue would Viz have?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2