• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Do You Like Your Mom? Light Novel Sells 12,000 Copies in 9 Days

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The story is about a high school boy transported to an RPG-like fantasy world with his mother, who proves to be a highly useful companion.

alright, that's something weird at least
switchgear1131

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Who would want to bring their mom to get a light novel about moms. That is just weird given the art and content that usually finds its way into light novels like this one.
Mikasa_su_casa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Shouldn't the title be "Do you like my mom?" since the speaker seems to know the attack strength of the mother in question?
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:10 pm Reply with quote
FackuIkari wrote:
Quote:
The story is about a high school boy transported to an RPG-like fantasy world with his mother, who proves to be a highly useful companion.

You know with all the bullshit samey "Transported to another world" LNs that come out by the dozen anymore, this one at least has a pretty unique and interesting hook
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:11 pm Reply with quote
The premise for this cracks me up. I really hope it gets an anime adaptation.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
FackuIkari wrote:
Quote:

You know with all the bullshit samey "Transported to another world" LNs that come out by the dozen anymore, this one at least has a pretty unique and interesting hook

At this point that "Transported to another world" as you put it has become a genre. Just like you'll see thriller's coming out every day, you'll start seeing them same for this. You might not like them, but you're just part of a small group that doesn't. Might as well get used to it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by AksaraKishou on Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Haha it completely astonishes me how you think you seen it all. they add another twist into the alternate world genre. HAHA Anime hyper. I would so check this out if it has an anime.

Also yeah, That should make it an official genre now at this stage, Call it 'Isekai' and call it a day.

Last edited by Thespacemaster on Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marzan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:26 pm Reply with quote
After decades of writers trying to out-Loli each other maybe this well get the pendulum moving in the opposite direction?
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
The premise for this cracks me up. I really hope it gets an anime adaptation.

Same. Looking forward to that! Laughing
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
After decades of writers trying to out-Loli each other maybe this well get the pendulum moving in the opposite direction?

I don't know what you'd call the "mother" equivalent of loli, but from what I've seen, there is rising interest in stuff like that in Japan. It will be interesting to see if it becomes a fully-realized trend, but it doesn't surprise me at all that something like this sold very well nor would it surprise me if we see more of the like in the future.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Marzan wrote:

I don't know what you'd call the "mother" equivalent of loli, but from what I've seen, there is rising interest in stuff like that in Japan. It will be interesting to see if it becomes a fully-realized trend, but it doesn't surprise me at all that something like this sold very well nor would it surprise me if we see more of the like in the future.

Well you know how it is, first you got something that starts a new craze, than everybody wants a piece of the action and so more and more of it is made, than after a while everyone becomes overstuffed with the same treat and eventually they tire of that taste and move into something new.

So a switch to a rising trend in older good looking woman is not that far out. Back in the mid 80's to late 90's their were a lot of female romantic leads who were mature and older woman for the main male character it is just not as common as it used to be. Maybe this is a bounce back, i mean we have been seeing a lot of retro stuff coming back in modern times lately have we not?
John Thacker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Mikasa_su_casa wrote:
Shouldn't the title be "Do you like my mom?" since the speaker seems to know the attack strength of the mother in question?

Nah, the translation's pretty good. Reading a sample of the book, there's survey questions asking about the main character's relationship with his mom, which he describes as "normal," they talk about "normal" things, don't go out shopping together, he helps out with chores when he feels like it without much enthusiasm, thinks she likes housework and sales and jokes that she doesn't like going out of the kitchen, he doesn't like it when she calls him by his childhood nickname, and so forth. (She's apparently a pretty stereotypical doting mother and he's an ordinary teen not entirely appreciative of her.) The last question is "Do you think that if you went on an adventure with your mom you could get along with her better?" to which he responds "Uh, maybe, I don't know."

So the translation makes sense, the book is about him and his mom being thrust into an alternate world to have an adventure so he can get along better with his mom, get to know her.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Good to see there's a market for MILFs. I was a bit worried about you, Japan. Laughing

Considering this is a commercial success I don't think an anime adaptation is out of the question. I must say I'm with Blood- and others in wanting to see it.
myskaros

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:05 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Mikasa_su_casa wrote:

Nah, the translation's pretty good. Reading a sample of the book, there's survey questions asking about the main character's relationship with his mom, which he describes as "normal," they talk about "normal" things, don't go out shopping together, he helps out with chores when he feels like it without much enthusiasm, thinks she likes housework and sales and jokes that she doesn't like going out of the kitchen, he doesn't like it when she calls him by his childhood nickname, and so forth. (She's apparently a pretty stereotypical doting mother and he's an ordinary teen not entirely appreciative of her.) The last question is "Do you think that if you went on an adventure with your mom you could get along with her better?" to which he responds "Uh, maybe, I don't know."

So the translation makes sense, the book is about him and his mom being thrust into an alternate world to have an adventure so he can get along better with his mom, get to know her.

The other problem is simply there is no possessive pronoun in the Japanese title, it's, more literally, "With a normal attack that attacks at full power two times, do you like mom?" The implication is that she is asking it herself, I believe, based on ad, so more like "do you like me?"

通常攻撃が全体攻撃で二回攻撃のお母さんは好きですか?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:14 pm Reply with quote
And if this does get an anime, ten to one they'll get a soft-spoken seiyuu, like the purple haired character in Long Riders! and when she wants to gently chide her son, she'll tilt her head, smile, close her eyes, and put her hand on her cheek as she says, "Ora, ora!"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4