• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why do people compare DBZ with Naruto?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I do not see why people compare DBZ with Naruto. The fighting in DBZ is flat out boring while the fighting in Naruto has me at the edge of my seat wondering what will happen next. Also,the music in Naruto do not has me holding my ears in pain. It is bascially a one man show with DBZ while the side characters live their lives thought Goku. The side characters in are more useful in Naruto than DBZ. The reason I stated ealier Naruto one up DBZ in everything It laughable how people compare DBZ with Naruto,DBZ is lucky to be said in the same sentence as Naruto and is not even in the same league or universe as Naruto. I was never a big fan of DBZ sure I would watch a episode if I am really bore and nothing else seem to on but DBZ never has the effect that Naruto has on me.

Last edited by naruto fan 09812 on Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Other than your subject title, your comments don't really ask why people make comparisons between these two anime series. They only state that according to you Naruto is by every regard better than Dragonball Z. I don't much care for either of the two shows and I haven't seen much of either, so I can probably offer an unbiased explanation for the the reason they are compared so often.

1. They are both fighting anime aimed at teenage and preteen boys.
2. They are both shows where the main character is trying to get stronger and reach some sort of goal.
3. The story revolves around characters believing that they must continue to fight to get stronger so that they can triumph over evil characters who are also similarly increasing their skill and power.
4. The one major difference is that DBZ is aimed at a slightly younger age group than Naruto, since Naruto does have a more complex storyline, greater emphasis on relationships and a grittyer, less colorful visual appeal.

I think the fact that there are those differences is the reason the shows are compared so much. Two shows that are too identical will not offer an interesting comparative analysis but when there are apparent and obvious differences in quality and content then there will be more to talk about how the shows differ or not.
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It laughable how people compare DBZ with Naruto,DBZ is lucky to be said in the same sentence as Naruto and is not even in the same league or universe as Naruto

That is the most dumbest thing I ever read, Do you even know that without DBZ
Naruto wouldn't even exist. I mean even Kishimoto says that he was influenced by DBZ. Also, some Naruto characters are based of DBZ characters, Naruto/Goku, Sasuke/Vegeta.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I second the Gokou/Naruto and Bejiita/Sasuke correlation, I actually laughed my ass off by the end of Sasuke retrieval arc when I realized how identical Sasuke's character development had been to Bejiita:

1) unlike Gokou and Naruto, they were both born to a powerful family -Bejiita being the all powerful prince of his race and Sasuke being a descendant of the renowned Uchiha bloodline.

2) they were both regarded as genious since childhood, while Gokou was a third-rate warrior and Naruto being the worst in his class.

3) spoiler[at one point, the one they regarded as their inferior managed to surpass them which filled them with rage and self-loathing, so they change sides in exchange for more power -Babidi in the case of Bejiita, Orochimaru in the case of Sasuke.]

Which one I prefer? It's DBZ since it's a classic, the manga version is actually fast-paced compared with the anime that had too many fillers, Naruto on the other hand has been going downhill ever since the start of Naruto II and the characters that I once liked kinda lost their spark -Naruto is not the mischevious, smart-ass punk that he once was, Sakura turned into a Mary-Sue -I hate Sakura BTW-, Kakashi and Gaara became boring and Tsunade doesn't have that much page-time anymore.

BTW, for those who have seen Slam Dunk, don't you think that Naruto's and Sasuke's mannerism and rivalty kind of resemble Hanamichi's and Rukawa's Question

Last edited by Raven Shinobi on Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
LuisRowinn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:40 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Mr.Shonen"]
Quote:
I mean even Kishamoto says that he was influenced by DBZ. Also, some Naruto characters are based of DBZ characters, Naruto/Goku, Sasuke/Vegeta.

I don't know that much about Naruto cause I've just started to watch it, but from
what I've read the above statement is so true. Kishamoto really did base some characters on DBZ. Also from what I've seen of Nautro some aspects of the show are close to DBZ.

And u can't say it didn't bring a tear to your eye the 1st time Vegeta used his Finial Flash attack aginst Cell, cause that was an awsome amount of power and coolness!!!(yes I like DBZ as well as Naruto they both rock to me!)
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Mr.Shonen wrote:

That is the most dumbest thing I ever read, Do you even know that without DBZ
Naruto wouldn't even exist. I mean even Kishimoto says that he was influenced by DBZ. Also, some Naruto characters are based of DBZ characters, Naruto/Goku, Sasuke/Vegeta.

I thought One Peice was a rip-off of DBZ, not Naruto?
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Naruto is quite similar to DBZ but it's pretty much just the upgraded version. Basically it has more money, is newer, has more detailed fighting, and is geared for a slightly older audience. Thats really what makes Naruto different from DBZ and most other shounen.

Though if anything, Bleach is currently the most similar show to DBZ. It even has those long drawn out powering up sequences with energy flying everywhere. It has most of the same bad aspects that DBZ did but they're just toned down so I like the show better.
free2slap

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:34 pm Reply with quote
As far as i see it, Naruto, bleach and One piece all fall to the same category of being comparable to DBZ, while Naruto is more apparent than the others just like Past described it in his Post.
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:43 pm Reply with quote
free2slap wrote:
As far as i see it, Naruto, bleach and One piece all fall to the same category of being comparable to DBZ, while Naruto is more apparent than the others just like Past described it in his Post.
You can bascially say that to all shounen jump titiles.But like I stated ealier the fighting in DBZ gets old fast.
Busaiku Chama

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:47 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
You can bascially say that to all shounen jump titiles.But like I stated ealier the fighting in DBZ gets old fast.

That's a subjective point, other people will disagree (myself included).
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Well, firstly, you have Kishimoto to blame for a lot of it. All of his commentaries in the Naruto manga are basically endless fanboy rants about how much he loved DBZ and how much he wanted to base the character of Naruto off of Goku. Secondly, you have the very structure of the show to blame. Think of it like this:

-Naruto starts off with an orange-clad, spiky-haired hero going on big, whimsical adventures where his plucky heroics, martial arts skills, and reliance on friends and former foes leads him to victory. Said plucky hero must also deal with a monster that lives within him, and eventually becomes involved in a series of gratuitous martial arts tournaments before this chapter of the story comes to a close.

-Dragon Ball starts off with an orange-clad, spiky-haired hero going on big, whimsical adventures where his plucky heroics, martial arts skills, and reliance on friends and former foes leads him to victory. Said plucky hero must also deal with a monster that lives within him, and eventually becomes involved in a series of gratuitous martial arts tournaments before this chapter of the story comes to a close.

-Naruto then has a time jump, and an older version of the hero joins up with friends and former enemies to fight much bigger threats, relying less on martial arts and more on flashy, fiery super attacks to win fights. Secrets about the hero's past slowly come to light, and the hero makes use of his heritage in order to harness a new and never-before-seen power source to overcome all obstacles.

-Dragon Ball then has a time jump, and an older version of the hero joins up with friends and former enemies to fight much bigger threats, relying less on martial arts and more on flashy, fiery super attacks to win fights. Secrets about the hero's past slowly come to light, and the hero makes use of his heritage in order to harness a new and never-before-seen power source to overcome all obstacles.

-Naruto eventually earns criticism among fans for dragging the show out to unnecessary lengths via the use of filler episodes.

-Dragon Ball eventually earns criticism among fans for dragging the show out to unnecessary lengths via the use of over-extended fights.

Why is Naruto compared to DBZ? Why not? I mean, Naruto basically is Dragon Ball for the 2000s, just as Bleach is essentially Yuu Yuu Hakusho for the 2000s I mean really, a moderately superior show to its more popular contemporary, in which a delinquent teenage youth meets up with a grim reaper and bends the rules to become an agent of the afterlife as a result, joining up with similarly-gifted classmates and former enemies and making use of unorthodox, delinquent-like methods to achieve victory? The resemblance there is as uncanny as Naruto's is to DBZ.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Riyousha

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:48 pm Reply with quote
The reason why we compare DBZ with Naruto is because they're both from Shonen Jump, and they're both excellent. I'll show you some comparations

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* Both Goku and Naruto are silly sometimes in their everyday life, but when they're in battle, they can go bad-@$$.

* Like Vegeta, spoiler[Sasuke later joins Orochimaru] (Vegeta was spoiler[once bad but then he sided with Goku and turned good but later he turned bad again due to a majin on his forehead.])

* earlier in Naruto, Orochimaru's voice sounds similar to Freeza's.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I can't think of anything else so I'll continue on this list later.

Last edited by Riyousha on Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, i dont have much to add to this becasue anything I could've possibly said was already said BUT

To Nagisa's referecne to Bleach and Yu Yu Hakusho

since the beginning of the Soul Society Arc i always said that Bleach is what Yu Yu Hakusho and Shaman King created after doing the fusion dance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:17 pm Reply with quote
I thought O-Parts Hunter/666 Satan started off a lot more like Dragon Ball, however. But I've only read to somewhere in volume three.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
just as Bleach is essentially Yuu Yuu Hakusho for the 2000s

good reason for why it kicks so much ass. but i like bleach a lot more than i like YYH. that got too dbz.[/spoiler]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4