• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sekai Project, DEADFACTORY's Yohjo Simulator Game Removed from Steam

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:22 am Reply with quote
Giving a guess - it's removed due a conflict violation of intellectual property rights? Seriously, if developers making a real clone of the game (and this is completely a copy of Goat Simulator), they shouldn't make it so blatant copied.

Heck, even the title font and color is identical.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:22 am Reply with quote
I heard people saying they were going to buy this game as a 'protest against censorship'. I don't know about you, but I think that's absolutely hilarious.
Foxaika

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:39 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Giving a guess - it's removed due a conflict violation of intellectual property rights? Seriously, if developers making a real clone of the game (and this is completely a copy of Goat Simulator), they shouldn't make it so blatant copied.

The current discussion on Steam forums was about some of the content in the game(even though the game was admittedly quite tame and sparse to most). spoiler[There was one particular part of the game where you could find a girl(unconscious/dead) on the ground with a pair of underwear next to her with a man standing near her.] That's generally what people think cut the game off. Ultimately though, no one knows for sure. Nothing concrete has been said. Others were saying that perhaps it was lack of content in general.

I will say though, that font is used for every _____Simulator game. I guess because it looks like Flight Simulator. Though in the case of this game and Goat Simulator it's more parody.

Edit: Added spoiler tags just in case I guess.
maoyen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:03 am Reply with quote
Foxaika wrote:
spoiler[There was one particular part of the game where you could find a girl(unconscious/dead) on the ground with a pair of underwear next to her with a man standing near her.] That's generally what people think cut the game off.

That sounds more likely to me. Who thought this was okay?

Last edited by maoyen on Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Seska1973

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:19 am Reply with quote
maoyen wrote:
WANNFH wrote:
spoiler[There was one particular part of the game where you could find a girl(unconscious/dead) on the ground with a pair of underwear next to her with a man standing near her.] That's generally what people think cut the game off.

That sounds more likely to me. Who thought this was okay?

i agree here. Perhaps it was Born in the Darknet, but with appearing into Steam it came into the Light and this is not tolerated
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:56 am Reply with quote
Foxaika wrote:
spoiler[There was one particular part of the game where you could find a girl(unconscious/dead) on the ground with a pair of underwear next to her with a man standing near her.]

Ouch. This is a more explanation thing. If there is such a scene, it is even strange how the game has managed to pass the QC and removed only three days after.
Foxaika

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:08 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:

Ouch. This is a more explanation thing. If there is such a scene, it is even strange how the game has managed to pass the QC and removed only three days after.

From what I know, the section of the map where you find it is hard to reach and not the first thing you find. It's not outright explicit though, just uh, somewhat implicit...
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:44 pm Reply with quote
No thanks, I rather play as goat than as loli.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:34 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
I heard people saying they were going to buy this game as a 'protest against censorship'. I don't know about you, but I think that's absolutely hilarious.

Me too, especially because it was never actually confirmed that Valve took the game down. It could have been the developer or publisher.

It actually presents a really easy way to make money. Make a really terrible game, make up a fake sob story about how it was Censored (criticized), be deliberately inflammatory/hostile for no reason (cough cough playasia) and then instant profit.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Yeah that's the text used in most "Simulator" games I think.

Also with the above Spoiler'd text you'd have to wonder if they were just unaware that would go over poorly, or were aiming to drum up controversy. Is the rest of the content over-the-top nutso and that fits in? I also do like to defend free speech, and even if I defend it I can still say the thing I'm defending is dumb as hell. Could be a good game, though, I can't say. Not up for endless sandboxes, so I won't wind up saying, either.
Foxaika

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:31 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
Yeah that's the text used in most "Simulator" games I think.

Also with the above Spoiler'd text you'd have to wonder if they were just unaware that would go over poorly, or were aiming to drum up controversy. Is the rest of the content over-the-top nutso and that fits in? I also do like to defend free speech, and even if I defend it I can still say the thing I'm defending is dumb as hell. Could be a good game, though, I can't say. Not up for endless sandboxes, so I won't wind up saying, either.

Addmittedly I haven't played the game, just read stuff about it(I was thinking about getting it for the novelty of having it), but I don't think there's anything else quite like that. Just a tiny world with some people in it and you run around doing parkour and headbutting people as a third grader. That's about it. Really the trailer sums up the majority of the game from what I've seen.
IanC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Valve wanted an age gate. Sekai Project don't. They will "lose sales" (bullshit). So it's getting edited before it gets put back on sale so it won't need an age gate.

It's a dumb title, just like that stupid Goat Simulator. But it deserves better than Sekai Project.
partially

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:25 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:

Unless they copied the font and the font was something the devs had specifically made for the game, that doesn't matter.

It is incredibly hard to claim copyright for games. Unless there is a case where assets are directly stolen. And yeah an openly available font won't suffice there. If someone can prove that Yohjo had taken assets without permission and reused them, then there could be a copyright claim.

It is still possible to make a claim otherwise. It is just incredibly hard to, as the burden of proof lies on the complainant being able to prove the game copied off them specifically. So not many people even bother. For something like Yohjo it is not impossible to prove it copied GS. But, at the same time, it is hard for GS to claim they copied them specifically, and not the thousands of other crummy sim games.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:29 pm Reply with quote
IanC wrote:
Valve wanted an age gate. Sekai Project don't. They will "lose sales" (bullshit). So it's getting edited before it gets put back on sale so it won't need an age gate.

It's a dumb title, just like that stupid Goat Simulator. But it deserves better than Sekai Project.

Sekai are dolts, I would've listened to Gabe and let the age gate be put on the game, the only people interested in it are adults anyway.
partially

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:32 pm Reply with quote
IanC wrote:

Really? I would like to see proof. Plenty of Sekai Project's releases have age gates. I don't see them insisting on not having one for a silly stunt project like this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2