• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Anime Cult

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Man, religious anime is automatically low-quality. And if it comes from bizzaro right-wing or apocalyptic cults, than moreso. I liked the animation of the more recent Happy Science anime films, but I refuse to watch it.

On a sidenote, let's agree to disagree on ''She Sells Sanctuary'' not being the best The Cult song, tied with ''Firewoman''. Much love for ''Love Removal Machine'', though. Wink
rheiders

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Oh god, there's a meme image I can never use again. Shocked
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Happy Science seem to have quite an outreach program. During the intermission of an expo over here recently, their ever-cheerful adherents were keen to distribute flyers for their latest film beyond the confines of the venue and its regulations.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:09 pm Reply with quote

I just spent waayyy too much time laughing after seeing that. Laughing Laughing
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...including special “brainwave vibration” stuff. This is exactly what it sounds like—it literally involves shaking your head back and forth.

So...headbanging? Kind of reminds me of the obsession with "low frequency vibrations" throughout Peeping Life.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I hope ANN approves my submission for The Human Revolution, the 20-part OVA epic about the foundation of SGI. They somehow got Toei Animation plus some top level seiyu of the time. I could only manage to sit through one episode though.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:35 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

Me too. I don't know why it is so funny. Maybe because of the abrupt tone, but it makes me grin like an idiot and think to myself: "Man, grandpa is an a$$hole."

Nice article. Awesome. Very Happy
koinosuke

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:06 am Reply with quote
Happy Science is a strange one. They come knocking on doors like Mormons or JWs, and somehow each of the places I work at here in Japan seem to have a copy of one of their books laying around the staff room.
Mune

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:10 am Reply with quote
I remember a few years ago, I took a class on Japanese culture and this actually came up.

In particular, the cult associated with the sarin gas attack in the Tokyo subway system in 1995 was brought up. We discussed how it was to further used to discriminate against anime otaku in Japan. This was just another factor for people not to want to become part of the anime/manga fandom.

It is also important to note that innocent people died because of their actions. I do not believe that your fandom should ever get that far- ever. If you wanted to make a statement, there were far better ways to do it than that way.

Aum Shinrikyo, the cult was responsible for the attack, still exists. Probably not like it did in 1995, but it is considered a terrorist group by a few countries.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:35 am Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

If you're old enough, you remember this guy. Shoko Asahara (who's still around, just in jail and on death row in Japan) was the leader of a religious sect called Aum Shinrikyo..... in 1995, they flooded the Tokyo subway with poisonous sarin gas, killing 13 people and injuring scores more.

And the reason Tokyo no longer provides outdoor trash bins, since that's where Aum put the sarin gas.
BabySealClubber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:55 am Reply with quote
Happy Science are stepping up their game. Getting Sponge Bob and Dylan McDermott to voice characters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2KYyw1wePI
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Usagi-kun wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

Me too...grin like an idiot and think to myself: "Man, grandpa is an a$$hole".... Very Happy
Me three!! Seeing those images I thought "Hai, shine yo" and I still can't keep from laughing at "Jesus Desu". Now Okawa-san sounds like great parody fodder, I mean why did he think he was reincarnated Hermes and Buddha, etc as if they were somehow similar? Why not Zeus or Odin while he was at it? Wish I knew were to find the flash-animated (and subtitled!) thing. I could use a good laugh. Great Article.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(Soka Gakkai, Daisaku Ikeda)... Intriguingly, there doesn't seem to be a master list of these specials, so every once in a while another one is capped and posted. SGI doesn't seem to be making them anymore, though.

A certain resource lists 17 titles as original works by Daisaku Ikeda, ranging from 1983 to 2004.

16 of them are short OVAs, as the ones mentioned in the article, except Ningen Kakumei (The Human Revolution)(no ANN entry) which is listed as having 20 half-hour episodes, based on the life & and teachings of Toda Josei, one of central figures of Soka Gakkai.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Usagi-kun wrote:

Me too...grin like an idiot and think to myself: "Man, grandpa is an a$$hole".... Very Happy
Me three!! Seeing those images I thought "Hai, shine yo" and I still can't keep from laughing at "Jesus Desu". Now Okawa-san sounds like great parody fodder, I mean why did he think he was reincarnated Hermes and Buddha, etc as if they were somehow similar? Why not Zeus or Odin while he was at it? Wish I knew were to find the flash-animated (and subtitled!) thing. I could use a good laugh. Great Article.

Cults will say all kinds of dumb stuff that people will buy into because a) someone wrote a book on it, ergo it must be true and b) it kinda makes sense.

And that's why new-agers belive that Odin was an Atlantean who was also Hermes and Merlin and Anubis. I'm not kidding, my mother has books on that crap.
Herald Of JOJO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:04 am Reply with quote
I got shown clips of the Aum Shinrikyo anime through Maximum the Hormone's "Freiza" music video. Laughing The band screaming "Phowa" is what got me interested in learning about Shoko Asahara and his cult. Surprised no one brought that up yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3