• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Irregular at Magic High School The Movie's 1st Promo Video, Visual Revealed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:38 am Reply with quote
Another new original work. The new trend. lol I'm just glad for more Mahouka. Hoping for LiSA to perform the song for the movie.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:42 am Reply with quote
I guess this is what passes for original anime nowadays, using a popular license as a crutch while writing a movie around it. Sad to see even movies are now being tied up by light novels. 2015 was kind of the last dying gasp of an anime scene independent from the light novel one it's starting to look like.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:50 am Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
2015 was kind of the last dying gasp of an anime scene independent from the light novel one it's starting to look like.

That's just the latest trend. It's popular now, but it'll pass in a few years. There's still plenty of non-light novel based shows (One Punch Man, Death Parade, Noragami, UBW, etc.).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:53 am Reply with quote
Videogamep wrote:
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
2015 was kind of the last dying gasp of an anime scene independent from the light novel one it's starting to look like.

That's just the latest trend. It's popular now, but it'll pass in a few years. There's still plenty of non-light novel based shows (One Punch Man, Death Parade, Noragami, UBW, etc.).

If anything I just expect it to get even more dominant somehow. I've kind of lost most faith in anime at this point and 2016 is just kind of an experiment to see if anything remotely interesting, exciting or refreshing happens but nothing much so far, just more of the same as 2014 and 2015. Nobody wants to try anything that requires effort until Fall usually so if anything does happen I expect it won't be for another 6-7 months.
Sitensis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:02 am Reply with quote
I'm not really bothered by novels becoming anime TBH. A novel focuses on its story, which is the most important aspect for me in an anime, followed by the visuals. That's why I think it's actually even positive that plot-focused material is being animated. It's not like original content is running dry, just the source has changed.

However, using popularity of a title and formulating an "original story" around it, I don't like that as well. I'd have them focus on the "original content" of the title and not deviate from the plot which is the reason for picking up a title to begin with.

I was expecting this to be a second season prequel following material that could be presented in a movie form, so a little disappointed. Though still better than a recap movie I suppose.
DontmesswithKarma

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:40 am Reply with quote
people seem to have something against light novels. yes okay Bahamut this season..... not even Lerche could make a typical harem novel good.... but don't forget Snafu, Durarara, Rokka, Baccano, Kagerou Project, etc are all light novels too. I actually like how anime is headed.KyoAni's and SHAFT's success seemed to have been more than simply success. more studios are using visual storytelling like KyoAni to develop characters. more studios are being creative and unique regardless of how good the content is. I love that. I'd take a wacky OTT crazily enjoyable series over series' I have to spend an hour looking up reviews after to understand what the fudge happened (ahem UBW). That's why I found Trigger's Inou Battle so excellent. it was a typical harem light novel. but the character animation was emotive and expressive leading me to fall in love with every one of themy by the end. I think anime is just undergoing an evolution that obviously not many like . and the reason is obvious. this is an evolution of animation. sadly story will suffer in the process. but if it means animators can use the medium I love so much to tell the story with animation alone...have it be creative and.... exciting.... have it balls to the walls fast which bumps up rewatchability. ... I'm more than thrilled.

This is only my personal opinion btw.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:03 am Reply with quote
Cool, at least it's not a recap film.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:42 am Reply with quote
I'm game for an original story. Not like we'll be able to see it for a long time anyways.
SandyBoi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:23 am Reply with quote
Well, that's unfortunate. Hoped it covered volume 8. Oh well.
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:57 am Reply with quote
Hmmm original story too oh well as long as we get another season after this iam oky with it Razz Also the PV didn't offer anythin new thoose were all scenes from 1st season
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:32 pm Reply with quote
DontmesswithKarma wrote:
people seem to have something against light novels. yes okay Bahamut this season..... not even Lerche could make a typical harem novel good.... but don't forget Snafu, Durarara, Rokka, Baccano, Kagerou Project, etc are all light novels too. I actually like how anime is headed.KyoAni's and SHAFT's success seemed to have been more than simply success. more studios are using visual storytelling like KyoAni to develop characters. more studios are being creative and unique regardless of how good the content is. I love that.

Ditto. Nothing inherently wrong with Light novels, or any source material anyway. I've had this conversation before and I know which specific kinds of light novels they are talking about, but even still, it feels like way too much of a generalization. Anyway, the next couple of seasons are chock full of fun adaptations and original projects. Anime is doing fine right now.
Selipse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Are people seriously going to continue complaining about everything being light novel adaptations?

Next season there are 4. Out of 47. Stop.
By the way, there's also 10 originals. source (I took out Gundam since it's just a broadcast of Unicorn)

Not to mention that being based on a light novel doesn't mean in any way that it's bad. The opposite could be said about originals, too.

Anyways, what we can complain about and the thing I'm not too fond of is all these "original story" movies. Well, at least I'm sure we'll get more seasons later (though not so sure about Accel World, but I hope it gets one).
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:50 pm Reply with quote
BlackPoint. wrote:
Also the PV didn't offer anythin new thoose were all scenes from 1st season

Yeah... I don't know why they bothered.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Cool, at least it's not a recap film.

Indeed. Recap movies just seem like a total waste of space and a money grab. You're just getting the same story over again in a smaller space, so it's not new material (aside from maybe a scene or two just so that they can say it has new material), and its quality is far worse. It's always good news when a movie is not a recap.

As for the complaints about light novels being adapted, I don't get that at all. Some fantastic anime series have come from light novels, just as some fantastic series have come from manga, and some fantastic series have been original. There have even been great series that came from games. And we've gotten some stinkers from all those sources as well. What kind of medium the original source material is really doesn't say much about whether it's going to be a good anime or not. At the end of the day, what matters is how good the series is, not what it was adapted from.

And having just gotten around to watching this series, I have to say that I really liked it, and I'm glad to see that they're doing a movie. What I'd really like is a second season, and I'm not sure that I care much about a movie (they're frequently too short to tell a good story), but the fact that they're doing a movie indicates that the first season did well enough that we'll probably be getting a second series, and that's definitely good news. I'll definitely be picking it up whenever it actually gets released in the US.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1