Forum - View topic
Your Ultimate Guide to Anime Ending Credits: Part I


Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Key
Moderator


Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 16201
Location: Indianapolis, IN (formerly Mimiho Valley)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:59 am Reply with quote
Very insightful! If this is going to be a series of articles then I look forward to future installments.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fuuma_monou



Joined: 26 Dec 2005
Posts: 1623
Location: Quezon City, Philippines
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:00 am Reply with quote
Nitpick: Aren't some of these, like Chief Animation Director, part of the opening credits?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor


Joined: 04 Oct 2002
Posts: 2085
Location: Springfield, MO
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:03 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Nitpick: Aren't some of these, like Chief Animation Director, part of the opening credits?

They're usually in the opening credits, but when a show has multiple chief animation directors that each work on particular episodes, they can be in the ending credits too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Yuyucow



Joined: 30 Sep 2015
Posts: 18
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:05 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Nitpick: Aren't some of these, like Chief Animation Director, part of the opening credits?


The very first screenshot is part of an ending and lists the Chief AD! They're almost always included there nowadays, which makes sense since you often have multiple people rotating each episode. Opening credits are usually 'static' key roles that don't change throughout the show.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fuuma_monou



Joined: 26 Dec 2005
Posts: 1623
Location: Quezon City, Philippines
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:10 am Reply with quote
Yuyucow wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:
Nitpick: Aren't some of these, like Chief Animation Director, part of the opening credits?


The very first screenshot is part of an ending and lists the Chief AD! They're almost always included there nowadays, which makes sense since you often have multiple people rotating each episode. Opening credits are usually 'static' key roles that don't change throughout the show.


Ah. I'm used to older shows that only had the one C.A.D.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kimiko_0



Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Posts: 1775
Location: Leiden, NL, EU
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Neat article. I'm just watching Shirobako this week, so it's even quite timely for me.

It's so annoying that many major fansub groups still cut off the OP and ED of each episode, replacing them with non-credit versions (or worse, just taking them from one random episode). The reduction in filesize really isn't necessary anymore (if it ever was), and it's just insulting to the people who worked so hard to make the anime that you claim to love.

And cool to see MahouTsukai PreCure referenced Very Happy

Looking forward to the rest of this series Anime smile


Last edited by Kimiko_0 on Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Blackiris_
Aria CompanyAria Company


Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 483
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Cool article, looking forward to part 2. Smile

Kimiko_0 wrote:

It's so annoying that many major fansub groups still cut off the OP and ED of each episode, replacing them with non-credit versions (or worse, just taking them from one random episode). The reduction in filesize really isn't necessary anymore (if it ever was), and it's just insulting to the people who worked so hard to make the anime that you claim to love.


It doesn't really matter, though, because credits are almost never translated (and if they are, only the key figures), and you have to be fairly proficient in Japanese in order to read them.

And to be honest I haven't really seen much opening/ending cutting lately, not even in Blu-ray releases.


Last edited by Blackiris_ on Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fuuma_monou



Joined: 26 Dec 2005
Posts: 1623
Location: Quezon City, Philippines
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
It's so annoying that many major fansub groups still cut off the OP and ED of each episode, replacing them with non-credit versions (or worse, just taking them from one random episode). The reduction in filesize really isn't necessary anymore (if it ever was), and it's just insulting to the people who worked so hard to make the anime that you claim to love.


What's also insulting are the fansubbers who don't even try to translate the main staff credits, but make sure THEIR screen names are plastered all over the opening animation. Just one reason I stopped watching fansubs for the most part.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kimiko_0



Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Posts: 1775
Location: Leiden, NL, EU
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Blackiris_ wrote:
It doesn't really matter, though, because credits are almost never translated (and if they are, only the key figures), and you have to be fairly proficient in Japanese in order to read them.

Just because few people read them doesn't mean it's not insulting to the creators. How can folks claim they love anime and not even have the decency to keep the creator's names attached?

Quote:
And to be honest I haven't really seen much opening/ending cutting lately, not even in Blu-ray releases.

I come across them quite regularly unfortunately. Even this fansub of Shirobako does it. Considering how much attention to detail typesetting/styling often get, and that it's more work to cut off the OP/ED than to leave them in, it's just so annoying.

fuuma_monou wrote:
What's also insulting are the fansubbers who don't even try to translate the main staff credits, but make sure THEIR screen names are plastered all over the opening animation. Just one reason I stopped watching fansubs for the most part.

To be fair, it's often a lot of work to figure out the correct readings for all those names (I've done it a few times for ANN encyclopedia entries). But yeah, wish I had the option of just watching untranslated anime, but my Japanese is not nearly good enough to translate things myself, let alone watch it as it's broadcast.


Last edited by Kimiko_0 on Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Yuki_Kun45
Subscriber<br>Exempt from Grammar rulesSubscriber
Exempt from Grammar rules


Joined: 26 May 2008
Posts: 708
Location: U.S.A.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Quirky thing I've noticed when it comes to inbetweening for TV it seems most of the time it's only studios that get credited. Though it seems with NHK shows they credit individual animators but not contributing studios.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Blackiris_
Aria CompanyAria Company


Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 483
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Blackiris_ wrote:
It doesn't really matter, though, because credits are almost never translated (and if they are, only the key figures), and you have to be fairly proficient in Japanese in order to read them.

Just because few people read them doesn't mean it's not insulting to the creators. How can folks claim they love anime and not even have the decency to keep the creator's names attached?


Because many people care more about clean openings than credits they cannot read? And if you're looking for staff credits, there are far better sources than OP and ED credits. Like, anime databases and stuff.

I think the creators are more concerned that people are distributing their stuff for *free*.

Some people might even say it's disrespectful to the OP/ED animators and artists that font covers major parts of the pictures. It's all a matter of perspective. But I'll refrain from using the word decency in any case.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
braves



Joined: 29 Dec 2007
Posts: 2307
Location: Puerto Rico (but living in Texas)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
Quirky thing I've noticed when it comes to inbetweening for TV it seems most of the time it's only studios that get credited. Though it seems with NHK shows they credit individual animators but not contributing studios.
Yeah, under-crediting is rampant. It varies a lot show-by-show, but in-between credits will typically only list the names of the companies that worked on them. Other tasks fare better than in-betweens when it comes to listing the individuals responsible. Although, I will say that, given tight production schedules, some companies are outsourcing a lot of 2nd Key Animation work and they tend to just list the companies in the credits.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lemonchest



Joined: 18 Mar 2015
Posts: 1771
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Key animator - the one who cocks up
Animation director - the one who gets the blame

One of the fun anecdotes in Hiyao Miyazaki's Starting Point is how he worked one of his contract studios animation directors into a hospital bed. She insisted on going straight back to work, of course, because :Japan:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fuuma_monou



Joined: 26 Dec 2005
Posts: 1623
Location: Quezon City, Philippines
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Blackiris_ wrote:
And if you're looking for staff credits, there are far better sources than OP and ED credits. Like, anime databases and stuff.


Yeah, because those are ALWAYS accurate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ChrissyC



Joined: 17 Jun 2015
Posts: 450
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:21 pm Reply with quote
The burning of Lust sequence in "FMA:BROTHERHOOD" was handled by one key-animator. Amazing stuff.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group