• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Favorite Classic Series/Franchise

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Favorite Classic Series/Franchise
Cardcaptor Sakura
11%
 11%  [ 6 ]
Cowboy Bebop
15%
 15%  [ 8 ]
Dragon Ball Z
11%
 11%  [ 6 ]
Escaflowne
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Evangelion
23%
 23%  [ 12 ]
Fist of the North Star
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Ranma 1/2
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Sailor Moon
13%
 13%  [ 7 ]
Serial Experiments Lain
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Trigun
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 51

Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:59 am Reply with quote
This is a short list of what I consider the most cherished classic anime series and franchises that debuted between 1984 and 1999. I intentionally omitted Gundam 0079 and Space Battleship Yamato because they are somewhat niche and too old to include in this list.

Feel free to add suggestions in the comments.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:35 am Reply with quote
Voted for EVA. I think you should include Berserk (1998) and Utena (1997) there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:05 am Reply with quote
Escaflowne is the only one on this list that is a personal favorite of mine so it was an easy vote.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Well I chose DBZ, but if it was multiple selection I would've also chosen Sailor Moon, EVA, Fist of the North Star, and Ranma 1/2.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:29 am Reply with quote
Tenchi Muyo

although I've lost a bit of my love for the non-Kajishima stuff. Even Tenchi Universe has lost it's sheen to me (Ryoko's too thoughtless, Aeka's too shrill, Mihoshi's too stupid, Washu's too reckless).

On the other hand, I love the Kajishima based stuff that others don't. War on Geminar's near a masterpiece to me, Photon's the lost jewel, Dual's a great false start, GXP builds the universe wonderfully and the OVA revival may have strayed from the main cast but it provided such a fascinating look into what the future of the franchise can look like (Tenchi becoming a god).
SamuraiNinjaDragon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:22 am Reply with quote
You forgot Rurouni Kenshin :/
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:30 am Reply with quote
I don't think I could justifiably place 2 different decades in the same poll. The 80's gave us amazing works by Toshihiro Hirano, notably Vampire Princess Miyu which until the mid nineties remained my favorite series of all time. The 90's was the beginning of where directing an anime simply became the process of adapting an established story and character design into an animated format. In the 80's, character designers, writers and directors were much more synonymous. But still I'd say the 90's was the decade that most of what we all consider classics originated in.
Space_Number_1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:59 pm Reply with quote
This list is ridiculously inadequate in how many classic franchises it omits. Gundam should definitely be on this list and it should represent the entire Gundam franchise. Also, Macross, Lupin III and about a dozen others should be included. I find it interesting that you thought Gundam and Yamato were too niche for this poll when other series that I consider to be niche made the list. I don't think Cardcaptor Sakura has much crossover appeal among anime fans.

Last edited by Space_Number_1 on Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:27 pm Reply with quote
^
Anybody can request a poll. If you do not like this one you can make your own and ask for somebody to post it.

A poll like this can never be comprehensive because it would just be too big.
You can just pick what you think are the classics and see what other people think of them.

In this poll I picked Cardcaptor Sakura mostly because it was my gateway drug. I became addicted to Sakura, and I still am.
I do not know anything about crossover appeal, or even what it is actually. Maybe you could make a poll for shows with crossover appeal.
Space_Number_1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:42 pm Reply with quote
What I meant by crossover appeal was that people who like Yamato and Gundam generally don't like Cardcaptor Sakura and vice versa.
Yamstarch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:56 am Reply with quote
Man. The fact that someone considers 0079 "too old" makes me feel like a decrepit old fart lol.

Before I cast my vote I was asking myself "where's Gundam on here?"

I voted for DragonBall Z because I still enjoy it with the kids of today and because... Vegeta.
Space_Number_1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I guess if something gets too old it can't be considered a classic anymore.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why do Lain and Escaflowne even count as franchises? The former is only a 13-episode series and nothing Escaflowne-related has been produced since the year 2000. The franchises I mentioned were much more deserving of being included.

{Merged serial posts. ~nobahn}
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Space_Number_1--
By all means, please, request a poll with your own options.
patco

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I vote for Dragon Ball Z. It's one of my favorite and I can't even say how many hours I spent watching it. I am curious which one would be the winner! Smile
eikinasai

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:03 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Voted for EVA. I think you should include Berserk (1998) and Utena (1997) there.

EVA EVA EVA
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2