• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Comic Ranking, April 11-17 [2016-04-20]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theNightster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:06 pm Reply with quote
good to see my favorite series Magi is still making the cash
Kutsu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why One Piece went from selling 2,439,532 in 14 days with volume 80 to selling 2,115,557 in 14 days with this new volume. That's a 323,975 difference which is quite a drop. Shocked

In fact it's sold less in 14 days than the previous volume in its debut week. The earthquake possibly hurt sales across the board but for some reason it already had a comparatively small debut.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:53 am Reply with quote
I always wondered, was there any truth to Hajime Isayama's earlier statements that he was planning to end Attack on Titan with 20 volumes? Anyone read the manga who thinks this is possible story-wise (without spoilers please).
Naniwa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Ulinox wrote:
I always wondered, was there any truth to Hajime Isayama's earlier statements that he was planning to end Attack on Titan with 20 volumes? Anyone read the manga who thinks this is possible story-wise (without spoilers please).

No I don't think it's possible for the manga to end on volume 20, after seeing what is happening right now on the story.

I believe that estimation of 20 volumes has been extended several times after that statement. Last year Isayama said on an interview that story was about 60% done, so the end will probably be around volume 27-28. Manga won't end until at least 2-3 years from now.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Naniwa wrote:
Ulinox wrote:

No I don't think it's possible for the manga to end on volume 20, after seeing what is happening right now on the story.

I believe that estimation of 20 volumes has been extended several times after that statement. Last year Isayama said on an interview that story was about 60% done, so the end will probably be around volume 27-28. Manga won't end until at least 2-3 years from now.

Fantastic. Thanks! Then they can make a second season and not worry about having to make the ending definite.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Naniwa wrote:

I'd be surprised if it somehow surpassed that count, considering in the most recent chapters Isayama has already killed off a quarter of his main cast and the rest are headed for certain doom... but we'll see.
Naniwa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:11 am Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
Naniwa wrote:

I'd be surprised if it somehow surpassed that count, considering in the most recent chapters Isayama has already killed off a quarter of his main cast and the rest are headed for certain doom... but we'll see.

Killed off a quarter of his main cast? But that never happened.

Some spoilers about recent chapters of the manga:
spoiler[
- Hanji's squad was caught in the huge explosion when the colossal titan transformed, but none of them are confirmed dead. Moblit could be most likely dead since he appears later on Erwin's mind when he is remembering people who died, but he also says that he does not know what happened to any of the members of Hanji's squad after the explosion, so it can't be confirmed 100% yet. However Moblit is still far from a main character.
- Reiner was suppossed to be killed a few chapters ago, and then on last chapter he stood up and he was alive. Isayama likes to do that a lot, make a cliffhanger that makes it look like someone is dead, to be later alive on the next chapter.
- Erwin has been seen riding on an almost suicide mission on last chapter, and we saw rocks hitting his leg on the last page, but he is not dead yet. We don't know what will happen to him, so we can hardly say he is dead until it happens.
- The rest of the main cast, are very much alive: Levi, Eren, Mikasa, Armin, Jean, Connie, Sasha, are alive. Historia is alive. Ymir's status is unknown, but she is not confirmed dead either. Berthold, Reiner, and Annie are alive. Hanji's status is unknown and Erwin is alive. There are no more main characters.]

Some more spoilers from older chapters of the manga:
spoiler[
The only relevant characters that were ever killed:
- Marco
- Levi's Squad (old one)
- Mike and Nanaba
- Other minor characters like Hannes
None of these can be considered main cast. ]

Actually I'm here sitting trying to think when he ever killed a main at all. Yes right now many of them are in lots of danger, but when are they not in danger on this series really? Laughing

As I said before it's confirmed by Isayama that story is only about 60% done, and his editor also said that they have story for at least 3 more years. Doubt they would say something like that on different occasions if manga was going to end on volume 20. They would just dissapoint people, and it's not smart to cut such a successful series like that when they obviously still have so much to tell. SNK is a huge money maker, I'm sure they will extend it as much as they can.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:57 am Reply with quote
@Naniwa,

Okay perhaps I let my cynical side get the better of me. Oh I never really meant more than 20 chapters is improbable, since they have the ending figured out anyway, only that with the current state any alternative seems doubtful. But, that is what makes his story fun.

spoiler[Historia, Ymir, and the other Shifters aren't really a main cast since the latter are now the enemy and the former hasn't been present for an entire arc so they're more recurring, right?

Bertolt's transformation, I read, is equivalent to that of an atomic bomb, and Moblit is last seen with his hand on Hange's shoulder, so I think not even a mile's distance would make a difference. Jean also pointed out that they were the only ones to make it out alive, so unless you mean to say Hange is lying injured (for a second time...) in some convenient area that isn't on fire not participating in the fight, she and Moblit are definitely dead. I don't know what's up with only Moblit being present in the vision, but I noticed that detail too.

Not to forget Erwin is pretty much dead as you know how, he's charging into a suicide fight with the Beast Titan and in the last panel as you said we can notice shards of rock entering his body. ]

So, assuming Isayama doesn't pull another cheap and lazy survival ploy, that's about at least 20% of the main relevant cast written out, and the rest are severely injured but time will tell with that one. He's an apprehensive writer but it's nearing the end of his story so I don't think he'll be afraid of killing off mains, while fake-outs ruin the story.
Naniwa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:20 am Reply with quote
@Lostlorn Forest:

We know Isayama loves to do those kind of cliffhangers where the last page of the chapter looks like someone is dead or is going to die, and on the next chapter we find out it was just a scare. But if we go by facts, at this point no main character has died yet. "Pretty much dead because it looks bad" it's not really dead. Until a character is confirmed dead, or it's shown dying, I won't believe it! xD.

However,
spoiler[I agree with you about Erwin and I think this time he may die. Not only because of the suicide mission he just started, or the rocks we saw hitting him, but because his role on the story is mostly done. We have also gotten several moments that could be a "goodbye" scene, like the one he just had with Levi. It's hard to ignore all those hints and think he will survive this time once again. If he does survive, it will be surely at the cost of the life of another (probably Levi but I doubt that will happen). It is also fitting, for Erwin's character, after all the lives he has sacrificed for his cause, to offer himself as the last sacrifice, after all. It's kind of tragic and ironic but somehow redeems his character and all the hard decisions he has made to reach the place they are now, to reach the basement, to end up leaving aside his personal ambition of seeing what's inside, and taking the best decision for the greater good like he has made countless times before, but this time being himself the victim. It gives him a "hero death" for the sake of humanity. If there was a good moment to kill off Erwin on this story, it is definitely now.

About Hanji though, her death I see it almost random if she died on that explosion, and I feel there's too much yet we can see about her, especially being the next Commander. If she really died there, I don't think a death like that makes her any justice. It would be very random to just kill such an important and interesting character like that. It would be a nice one for Moblit though, if as we saw he was reaching for her, maybe he died protecting Hanji. Moblit isn't very important after all so that would be good enough for him.]

I also think fake-outs do bad to the story but it obviously works for him, because every month he keeps that tension and people is eager to read the next chapter. And maybe when he really does kill someone, we will all think it's a scare (maybe that's what's happening now!). He really isn't almost done though, he is only a bit over half way (60% he said, since this interview was like a couple of volumes ago, maybe 65% now). And this would be without any additional extensions, which are most likely to happen since we had several already.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:25 pm Reply with quote
^Haven't been on ANN since I've been bedridden! Definitely agree with all of your points though, and I'm on the fence right now because of how cryptic the story has become. Anyhow I shouldn't have wandered off-topic so I'll just end a good discussion here Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1