• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 100 People Polled for 'What Novel Do You Want to See Turned Into Anime?'

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Yup. 100 people definitely speak for everyone. What was this Family Feud?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:32 pm Reply with quote
How about The Intrigues of Haruhi Suzumiya? Or did the poll just discount later novels in book series that have already had earlier books animated?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
How about The Intrigues of Haruhi Suzumiya? Or did the poll just discount later novels in book series that have already had earlier books animated?

Isn't that still a light novel? The poll was for novels.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:44 pm Reply with quote
I want to see the Jojo novel with Lisa Lisa and George (Jorge) animated.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:47 pm Reply with quote
^ Considering the later Haruhi Suzumiya "light" novels are pretty lengthy, maybe not War and Peace-length, but longer than before, I think the distinction between "novel" and "light novel" in this case is fuzzy.

But I skipped over the part of the article that said the ranking was limited to novels that won a certain literary prize that, without looking up all of the winners, I presume no Haruhi Suzumiya light novel has won or even been in competition for.

EDIT: That's in reply to SilverTalon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
^ Considering the later Haruhi Suzumiya "light" novels are pretty lengthy, maybe not War and Peace-length, but longer than before, I think the distinction between "novel" and "light novel" in this case is fuzzy.

But I skipped over the part of the article that said the ranking was limited to novels that won a certain literary prize that, without looking up all of the winners, I presume no Haruhi Suzumiya light novel has won or even been in competition for.

EDIT: That's in reply to SilverTalon.

Being a light novel has nothing to do with length. The horizon light novels among others are quite long for a light novel, and I'm sure longer than some actual novels. Theres not really set rules so it really probably just comes down to the publisher, but if you compare Haruhi vs other light novels and Haruhi vs novels like the ones in this poll then you should see a pretty immediate difference between Haruhi/LNs and novels.

That said, light novels aren't a subset of novels. They're separate. For example if you were to go to the japanese amazon page for 'novels / literature' you will not see light novel as a sub category listed on the left side of the page. You would have to go up a level to 'books' to see the light novel sub category along with other clearly entirely separate from novel categories like non-fiction, comics, game strategy guides, etc. Similarly if you go to an actual japanese bookstore, light novels are going to be all on their own.

Now you're also right about the options in the poll having won that award. Just going by the name 'honya taisho' sounds like it could go to books that aren't novels, but I don't actually no anything about that award so it could be for novels only.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:47 am Reply with quote
Why not "Gunota ga Mahou Sekai ni Tensei Shitara, Gendai Heiki de Guntai Harem o Tsukucchaimashita!?"?

Aside from the fact that spoiler[male protagonist and 2 female protagonists (1 was added later) lost their virginity to each other in a three-some when they seem to be pretty young (mostly likely 14-15 at the time)], the story-wise seems to hold up good.

Another that I want to be animated is "The Rising of the Shield Hero" (Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari) .
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:15 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Being a light novel has nothing to do with length. The horizon light novels among others are quite long for a light novel, and I'm sure longer than some actual novels.

Yup, in fact regular Japanese novels are often in the same page range as light novels. The American paperback for Confessions is only 240 pages, and The Professor's Beloved Equation (published as The Housekeeper and the Professor) is 192, and even that's not the shortest Japanese novel I've come across. The difference between LNs and regular novels is a matter of style and presentation -- LNs have anime/manga inspired storytelling and illustrations, and the vocabulary is high school level or lower.
JD76

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:41 am Reply with quote
I'm only familiar with Tomihiko Morimi (The Eccentric Family and The Tatami Galaxy) and Kanae Minato (Confessions movie). More Tomihiko couldn't hurt especially if it means that Yusuke Nakamura will be doing the character designs.

I wish Moribito 2 got an adaptation and if Shinsekai Yori says anything about his other novels, then something from Yusuke Kishi as well.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:03 am Reply with quote
They still read regular novels? Who has the patience for that
Showsni

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:06 am Reply with quote
Be interesting to see an English equivalent; maybe that could be a poll on the site, which novel (or series) would you most want to see an anime/cartoon adaptation of? I'm sure there are some I've read that would fit well as a longer, more episodic adaptation rather than a film.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

Besides other people pointing out that this poll was for """real""" novels, (not that the distinction really changes much of the book itself), I also think that even then it just wouldn't have factored in. Vote for Japan-specific literary masterpieces, or an entry in a long, already-partially-adapted teen-pandering high school story with fanservice?

I don't think it would have made the list regardless. If you look at the comments made by the voters they seem to... be into intense things!
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Not surprisingly, I haven't heard of a single one of those.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:10 pm Reply with quote
This reminded me of the Nowisee MV project, would be interesting to see a full anime adaption of that, although I have no idea what the novel is about.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:

Not surprisingly, I haven't heard of a single one of those.

Anyways people don't read real novels anymore; prefer fast consumption trend. If it takes more than 5 minutes to read a single page, it's not worth it. It's about volume after volume of fast food nowadays; that's where the money is. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2