• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Mamoru Oshii, Kenji Kamiyama, and Kenji Kawai Visit Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Film Se

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I think the visiting directors are pretty satisfied that GITS is getting the mainstream attention it deserves. Hollywood is not making a completely faithful adaptation, but I think everyone there knows it would never work with a general western audience if they tried. At the same time, I'm confident they will show as much respect to the original work as possible.

The movie will be solid and will more or less get its point across to newcomers of the franchise. It's not something fans of the manga and anime - who already "get it" - will likely enjoy, but they are going to watch it anyways.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:11 pm Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
I think the visiting directors are pretty satisfied that GITS is getting the mainstream attention it deserves. Hollywood is not making a completely faithful adaptation, but I think everyone there knows it would never work with a general western audience if they tried. At the same time, I'm confident they will show as much respect to the original work as possible.

The movie will be solid

I greatly disagree. GITs is one of the few shows that I think WOULD work with a Western audience with minimal changes. Marco Polo, for example, shows that Americans dont mind watching a bunch of Asian people act in English while still being true to their culture in the show. They could've been 100% faithful to the setting and characters. There are plenty of great Asian actors that exist here in America. These people are just making excuses to have a big name actress to sell tickets. The movie will probably be "Decent" but in reality, it won't be Ghost in the Shell.

" for their respect towards their work" I laughed out loud.
Nitsugalego

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
7jaws7 wrote:

The movie will be solid

I greatly disagree. GITs is one of the few shows that I think WOULD work with a Western audience with minimal changes. Marco Polo, for example, shows that Americans dont mind watching a bunch of Asian people act in English while still being true to their culture in the show. They could've been 100% faithful to the setting and characters. There are plenty of great Asian actors that exist here in America. These people are just making excuses to have a big name actress to sell tickets. The movie will probably be "Decent" but in reality, it won't be Ghost in the Shell.

"This critically panned, obscure Netflix series with TV actors nobody's heard of before is a perfect comparison to a big budget Hollywood feature length film" I laughed out loud.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:31 pm Reply with quote
translation: damage control is in full swing.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:39 pm Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
It's not something fans of the manga and anime - who already "get it" - will likely enjoy, but they are going to watch it anyways.

Aha, if this is case then I am one step ahead of you! My ingenious plan, previously executed during the Speed Racer and Dragonball adaptations, is to venture nowhere close to a cinema during the film's release. A pleasingly uncomplicated stratagem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
redranger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I am going to watch this movie for the most beautiful woman on the planet, Scarlett Johanssen. I don't give a damn how good or bad it turns out to be.
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Pretty cool for the legendary Mamoru Oshi and Kenji Kamiyama to visit the set and the cast. (if only Masamune Shirow would also visit, like he did in M-66) would make a full circle. I wish they were directly involved, but guess they were there to check out the progress. This movie is going to be awesome.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:39 pm Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
It's not something fans of the manga and anime - who already "get it" - will likely enjoy, but they are going to watch it anyways.

Please speak for yourself. As a fan of the franchise I'm looking forward to a western take on it. I'll reserve my judgement on whether it succeeds until after I see it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:37 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:

Exactly. It was a smart move to have those three come on set and acknowledge the validity of the work. Their photo alone on social media is extremely powerful. This movie could go either way at this point. We'll see.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad they're filming this in Hong Kong, which heavily inspired the setting for the original film, and it looks like these guys are enthusiastic about the film. Part of me wishes they would've gotten Oshii back to direct this though. I'm more sold on the upcoming Death Note movie, but this looks like it might have potential. I'll still see it for sure.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Usagi-kun wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:

Exactly. It was a smart move to have those three come on set and acknowledge the validity of the work. Their photo alone on social media is extremely powerful. This movie could go either way at this point. We'll see.

I didn't mean it in a good way. If anything it's a show of desperation on part of the producers as it really shows how badly they've messed up handling the film. Having Oshii show up on set for PR isn't going to lessen the backlash.
anddo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Ok now where's Shirow Masamune
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
7jaws7 wrote:

The movie will be solid

Actually, Ghost in the Shell is one of those few anime that WOULD work in both live-action and a Western setting; the hardest thing to take to the screen would be Motoko's purple hair. There is only one prominent Japanese actress in America, and that's Rinko Kikuchi, whose schedule conflicted with the movie's (she is in the Terra Formars movie) - you would then go for Asian-but-not-Japanese actresses, and that controversy is ten times worse. And besides, the Major doesn't HAVE an ethnicity - she's a freaking gynoid. Her name has nothing to do with an ethnicity; if that were the case, it would be racist for Robin Williams to name his daughter after Zelda. You're literally looking at a single photo and doing what the Tolkienites did when they found out that The Scorching of the Shire wasn't adapted 100% faithfully in The Return of the King's Director's Cut - which is also stupid, as doing that would be anticlimactic for a film. Look, if these three men - and the mangaka - are ALL in support of the movie, why the hell are you worried? These people know GitS better than you and I ever will - let them speak before you tear up the Internet.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:09 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
7jaws7 wrote:

Aha, if this is case then I am one step ahead of you! My ingenious plan, previously executed during the Speed Racer and Dragonball adaptations, is to venture nowhere close to a cinema during the film's release. A pleasingly uncomplicated stratagem.

In a similar vein I watched both movies on long haul flights. As someone who really struggles to get to sleep in such situations I can testify to their effectiveness.

Shame the Kowloon Walled City no longer exists, that area would have been a perfect place to shoot part of the movie.
stonehand

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:11 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Actually, Ghost in the Shell is one of those few anime that WOULD work in both live-action and a Western setting; the hardest thing to take to the screen would be Motoko's purple hair. There is only one prominent Japanese actress in America, and that's Rinko Kikuchi, whose schedule conflicted with the movie's (she is in the Terra Formars movie) - you would then go for Asian-but-not-Japanese actresses, and that controversy is ten times worse. And besides, the Major doesn't HAVE an ethnicity - she's a freaking gynoid. Her name has nothing to do with an ethnicity; if that were the case, it would be racist for Robin Williams to name his daughter after Zelda. You're literally looking at a single photo and doing what the Tolkienites did when they found out that The Scorching of the Shire wasn't adapted 100% faithfully in The Return of the King's Director's Cut - which is also stupid, as doing that would be anticlimactic for a film. Look, if these three men - and the mangaka - are ALL in support of the movie, why the hell are you worried? These people know GitS better than you and I ever will - let them speak before you tear up the Internet.

Strange. I don't remember any of the three saying they were in support of the film. They visited the set. That can be taken several ways, all of which have been explored in this thread. Did they offer criticism or helpful comments. We don't know. I will judge after I see the film, not before.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2