• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Code Geass: Akito the Exiled Gets U.S. Premiere Screening at Otakon

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:44 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty damn jazzed for this. Kazuki Akane is my favorite director, and I've always wanted to see him talk about his stuff. I think the last time he came to the US was 2003, so hearing his words in English is not common at all. I've seen some interviews that people online have translated from Japanese, but there aren't even too many of those.

I'll be at Otakon (second time going to a con), so I'll definitely see this. I've been liking Akito quite a lot so far, but I haven't seen the last episode yet, and this is a damn good chance here. It's been so long between them I think I have to rewatch all the others to be able to fully appreciate it.

I'll try to think of a question to ask him, in the case I get the chance to. But as of now, I can't really think of anything to ask him. There's almost nothing to ask since his works speaks for itself so well.
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:58 am Reply with quote
My eyes betray me once again. This is not the CG news I wanted.

Hope you guys enjoy it.
Desa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:33 am Reply with quote
AtE features the best spatial combat animation I've ever seen, and that's saying a lot. It would be amazing to see on the big screen but alas it's not an event I can so easily attend.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Please be dubbed soon...
Karasu-Lacryma

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Desa wrote:
AtE features the best spatial combat animation I've ever seen, and that's saying a lot. It would be amazing to see on the big screen but alas it's not an event I can so easily attend.

Definitely. Not to mention some of the best-animated CGI mecha (I'm really looking forward to if/when this quality of CGI becomes standard for the industry). Actually, that's probably what makes the combat animation so great: with CGI, camera angles are much more easily manipulated than in traditional animation, which helps make the battles that much more exhilarating, much like one of Akane's other works, Noein. (The only two series I've seen fully directed by him are AtE and Noein, and the similarities between the two are so striking as the former goes on, particularly in the last episode, that I can't help but wonder how similar they are to his other works.)

It's a shame the series' last two episodes weren't as good in storytelling as the first three were, but the animation only improved with each episode and the series was pure eye candy throughout. I'm sure seeing it on the big screen will be quite the thrill. [/i]
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I guess it actually doesn't explicitly say which movie it will be. I hope it's the last one .

As for the 3DCG animation, I categorically dislike 3DCG, but this is probably the best I've ever seen it done in anything. but that's all due to the storyboarding, shot compositjon, and choreography. It could have been truly amazing if it were done traditionally, like the stuff in Noein and Birdy.

and Karasu Lacrima, I definitely recommend his other work. It does share some general themes, but the most important commonality between it is its sense of internal logic and event progression, in addition to how the characters fit into the larger setting.

In terms of what's the most similar stylistically to Noein, I'd go for Birdy Decode if I had to pick one.
Karasu-Lacryma

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
I guess it actually doesn't explicitly say which movie it will be. I hope it's the last one .

As for the 3DCG animation, I categorically dislike 3DCG, but this is probably the best I've ever seen it done in anything. but that's all due to the storyboarding, shot compositjon, and choreography. It could have been truly amazing if it were done traditionally, like the stuff in Noein and Birdy.

and Karasu Lacrima, I definitely recommend his other work. It does share some general themes, but the most important commonality between it is its sense of internal logic and event progression, in addition to how the characters fit into the larger setting.

In terms of what's the most similar stylistically to Noein, I'd go for Birdy Decode if I had to pick one.

The closest I've seen to something somewhat similar done in traditional animation would be certain segments of Gundam Unicorn, although CGI is used as well in some shots. (Now, if only we could get a high-budget Noein OVA too, preferably a prequel).

Upon finishing and reflecting upon the final episode of Akito, it felt like I had most of the same praises and same complaints as Noein. But really, the plot similarities were what struck me. (A few major spoilers for both series:)
spoiler[Both series involve a female protagonist with largely unexplained and vague quantum powers that shape reality and time whenever the plot needs it. I like both, but their powers felt like deus ex machinas every time they were used. The villains are both omnicidal madmen, merciless to even those they tell themselves they care for; although Shin gets far more explanation than Noein ever did, although many anime villains fit that description. The male protagonists both are powerful, unstable nihilists who thaw out as time goes on due to the female character, and whose connections to the villain are extremely deep. A lot more of the story elements and structure felt quite similar, especially towards the end. AtE doesn't feel like a rehash, but it does feel somewhat recycled.

Both series contain many intentional gaps in the plot (which isn't a bad thing all the time). What Leila's commander did to miff off the cosmic being(s), or where Noein got his powers? There's plenty more left unexplained, backgrounds to events and characters especially, which sometimes adds some great mystery/theory fuel (or just an enjoyable "What on earth?" like that creepy tied up doll being on the Council in Noein) and sometimes is frustrating. (I will say that figuring out some of the mysteries, like what was going on with that whole flaming Geass skull thing, are rewarding and give fresh insights into both AtE and RotR; realizing exactly what Noein's minions are and why gives a heckuva a lot more creepiness and depth to the character). I imagine watching either series a second time would reveal a lot that was easy to miss the first time around.

Both series lean heavily on a quantum philosophy of thoughts shaping reality and finding meaning in those you care about. Their endings felt similar too, sweet but melancholic and slightly vague, not giving complete closure, a choice I imagine to be deliberate. Shin's fate was a lot more climactic and easier to understand than Noein's, although the latter's final scene was a lot more memorable.
]

I loved the distinctive atmospheres of both series, loved the characters and their relationships, but at the same time, the plots weren't handled with as much consistency and care, with too many gaps in backgrounds. AtE handled things a little bit better than Noein with a less confusing plot and more focus on the interesting characters. (And actually provided romantic closure! Razz )

Ultimately, I think the thing is that Kazuki Akane excels at characters, and often just uses the plot as a means to flesh them out, from what I've seen, so sometimes the plot gets a little messy or has noticeable gaps, in part because it's not really the focus, the characters and their relationships and growth are. That's why the plots can get kinda out of hand at points, yet still do an impressive job of developing the cast. spoiler[Leila] and Haruka both have abilities that narratively are borderline deus ex machinas with every use, but help flesh out their characters and others'. Most other narrative problems are similar.
(Also, gotta say, I liked the handling of Suzaku here better than the original RotR's. He hardly said more than a few sentences, but his actions and body language just expressed the character so well.)
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Please be dubbed soon...

so do a lot of people however from the looks of things, it seems that this will end up getting the buddy treatment and have a sub only release.

and even if it is dubbed, its highly unlikely their gonna outsource the dub back to bang zoom (since doing that would cost them a crapload of money than using their own VAs instead) which would unfortunately mean that the chances of JYB , Lowenthal and Higgins reprising their roles for lelouch , suzaku and C.C respectfully is very slim to none.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:46 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
Please be dubbed soon...

so do a lot of people however from the looks of things, it seems that this will end up getting the buddy treatment and have a sub only release.

and even if it is dubbed, its highly unlikely their gonna outsource the dub back to bang zoom (since doing that would cost them a crapload of money than using their own VAs instead) which would unfortunately mean that the chances of JYB , Lowenthal and Higgins reprising their roles for lelouch , suzaku and C.C respectfully is very slim to none.

Whilst it obviously can change at a moments notice, the current Amazon UK listing for episodes 1 & 2 has an English dub listed:

https://goo.gl/2ILIHQ

Gives hope.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:58 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
Please be dubbed soon...

JYB does works for Funi once in a while.Even if Funi doesn't outsource the dub,they will most likely get him back.Kate Higgins also worked with them when they dubbed the Blazblue anime,so who knows?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:02 am Reply with quote
After 3 years of being a licensing limbo, we finally have an actuald update. Darn Bandai for holding out on Funi.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:12 am Reply with quote
Karasu-Lacryma wrote:
Desa wrote:

Definitely. Not to mention some of the best-animated CGI mecha (I'm really looking forward to if/when this quality of CGI becomes standard for the industry). Actually, that's probably what makes the combat animation so great: with CGI, camera angles are much more easily manipulated than in traditional animation, which helps make the battles that much more exhilarating, much like one of Akane's other works, Noein. (The only two series I've seen fully directed by him are AtE and Noein, and the similarities between the two are so striking as the former goes on, particularly in the last episode, that I can't help but wonder how similar they are to his other works.)

being the best cgi isn't very impressive when it still looks like shit because it doesn't blend with anything else shown.

and it will never reach that point because they use cgi to cut costs in the first place, not to spend money making it look as good as it can be.

The mech fights in the original CG were amazing, these not so much. They look too fake for me to enjoy it.

I don't get it... People don't put up with poor cgi in movies so why would anyone defend even worse ones in anime?

Last edited by Tylerr on Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
pajmo9

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:15 am Reply with quote
Karasu-Lacryma wrote:
Desa wrote:

It's a shame the series' last two episodes weren't as good in storytelling as the first three were, but the animation only improved with each episode and the series was pure eye candy throughout. I'm sure seeing it on the big screen will be quite the thrill. [/i]

I loved the CGI in the first episode but after that I think they got a little to willy-nilly with the camera. There was to much zooming in and zooming out and zooming in and zooming out and spinning the camera around and zooming in and zooming out while spinning the camera around. I feel that the choreography got lost in it. Other then the problem I had with the camera though, I totally agree that it had some great CGI.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:36 am Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
jr240483 wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
Please be dubbed soon...

JYB does works for Funi once in a while.Even if Funi doesn't outsource the dub,they will most likely get him back.Kate Higgins also worked with them when they dubbed the Blazblue anime,so who knows?

well the main reason why bosch was in funi's short list cause like the other long known funi VAs like Glass,Bailey and Mignona , he's an independent VA which means he can voice for any studio and company of his choosing,and its cause of this that he was able to voice one episode for Burst Angel and reprised his roles for both Renton and Vash when Funi licensed both Eureka 7:AO and the trigun badlands rumble movie while not violating any union/non-union rules since Funi used their own VAs for both series instead of outsourcing it.

Higgins on the other hand is another story. unless i am wrong she is still a union VA. and also if i am not wrong (but correct me if i am) they did use an outsource studio for the Blazeblue TV series since the gaming company wanted the tv series to use the same actors for the game.

so yeah, its as i said. while its possible to get bosch and lowenthal to reprise their roles,the chances of getting higgins to return as C.C is highly unlikely unless funi does give the dubbing over to bang zoom.

that is if funi will even give the OVA an english dub at all cause from the looks of things they might give this series the same treatment they gave buddy complex and release it with and english sub only version.

Last edited by jr240483 on Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:51 am Reply with quote
Eh this show was pretty terrible honestly. Yet it had honestly nothing to do with the CGI mechs. I honestly thought the CGI mechs looked decent, or as decent as possible, but the real thing is that it wasn't a lazy use of CGI. The mechs move in such a wild way that it would almost be impossible to animate in 2d. Their choreography is too wild and I like it when the CG is used for a reason. They just don't look like mech battles that could easily be done in 2d. The choreography and direction of the mech battles wasn't done lazily. So I was ok with the CGI.

Still, the story and characters were awful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2